BBB Accredited Business since 05/07/2012

Elk Springs Resort

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

01/15/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

we rented a cabin thru Elk Springs Resort for our family. Upon trying to use our oven the handle pulled away from the door, allowing the protective glass heat shield to fall to the ground shattering on the floor. We contacted maintenance and she stated she would have it repaired or replaced as we needed the oven to cook our dinner and breakfast the following morning. The maintenance man came and saw where an INCORRECT screw had been used as a previous repair allowing the screw to pull out and glass to shatter on the floor. After two more calls we were informed the oven could not be repaired or replaced. We explained we had 5 children and could not use the oven without the protective glass covering and the lady on the phone fully agreed and understood. They were sorry but no repair was coming. We had no choice but to go out to eat the dinner and breakfast meals, even though we had brought the food to cook. We called and explained to Elk Springs our situation after we checked out and asked for some financial relief/compensation since we were unable to cook our family meals and the lady understood and said she would submit and they were good about working with resolving these things. After no contact, we contacted them 3 days later and was told they were not going to help us as the oven WAS USABLE! That is CRAZY it was turned on when this problem began and the liability of an adult or child touching the exposed oven door was a stupid risk we were not willing to risk. The heat on the metal around the glass face was EXTREEMLY high and unsafe.

We would seek a good faith financial reimbursement of about $ as that is the estimated price for dinner and breakfast.

we reimbursed guest $ tax. more than they requested. it can take up to 8 business days to post to their account depending on their merchant bank. this was resolved prior to them logging their issue with the BBB. as such, please remove.

we are not responsible for the hold time on funds, it's the guests individual banks hold time that is causing this problem.

12/10/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Rented stdio cabin paid in full on my card. Chose this cabin because it was walkable to downtown Gatlinburg and I could not see well to drive after dark. Used the lock box to enter the cabin. Upon entry noticed the bed was in poor condition. Mattress was at an angle sloping from the foot board down to the headboard at an angle and made a crunching sound when you sat or moved on it in any way. Contacted the office and she sent maintenance to look at the bed. Bed needed to be replaced. I spoke with the office many times on the phone and they were trying to find me alternative accomodations. Was offered other accomodations which was a few miles from downtown Gatlinburg. Explained to her that I could not drive when it was dark and needed to be moved right away. Also explained I was only in Gatlinburg for 2 nights and if I went to the other location I would have to stay in my room for the rest of the night because it was almost dark instead of enjoying my evening in Gatlinburg which was the purpose of my original reservation. She spoke to her manager and then told me they would provide me with a full refund. When my refund arrived on my credit card statement they had not refunded me the entire amount. Called Elk Springs again
and againabout the refund. She said she was not sure why the entire amount was not refunded. Hours later she called me back and informed me then $ that I was not refunded was a Booking fee. The company charged me a booking fee on a room that I did not stay in because it was not rental ready. I feel this is a deceptive business practice. The company refunded $ of the reservation due to the condition of the bed. If they felt the cabin was not guest ready they have no right keeping the "booking fee" for a cabin that they did not know the condition of. This practice is deceptive and I should not be out any money due to their poor management. They should be aware of the conditions of their properties before they rent them out. They told me I was getting a full refund before I left their property and I expect a full refund which would be the remaining $ of my payment.

Credit card credit of the remaining $ and an apology for the way this matter was handled.

we refunded this booking fee of $ the complainant is referring to last week. our team had some confusion on the refund policy for this particular rental. We apologized for the issue and refunded the guest. As you know, depending on the guests merchant bank it can take 5-7 business days to receive the refund. This guest has enjoyed giving us bad reviews on social media like we are criminals.

05/29/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We stayed in an unclean, vermin infested cabin. Was made to pay cleaning fee and was told that they would shoot the vermin once we left. We were solicited with a GroupOn offering for a two night stay at Elk Spring Resort. I contacted Elk Spring Resort and was told not to buy one from them but go directly and buy from Elks Spring (which we did)...we were told the offering ****** did not cover the cleaning fee (which was an additional ***** fee) We provided a credit card and paid for the rental cabin. Our first night there we discovered that we had an infestation of vermin in the cottage. One actually ran across my face in the middle of the night. We were up all night fighting the vermin. We called customer service the next morning. When they arrived they told us this does not happen at their cabins. We found the nest of vermin. Were told to go into the city and they would get their gun and shoot them. I called the office and asked that we be moved. We were told that they did not have another cabin like the one we had paid for so they moved us next door. We were told that they quarantined our original cabin for several days. I called repeatedly and received no answer and no call back. After the *** or *** call I did get hold of a **** *** **** who told me that they would refund one night (minus the ***** cleaning fee). I asked to speak to the manger I was told that this would not happen and this was over. I don't think it is unreasonable to have an expectation when you pay ******* for two days to have a clean cabin. Can you imagine staying at a hotel...having a room full of vermin and being told that they would come in an shoot them...oh and have to pay a cleaning fee?

At this point I would like to have a refund (including cleaning fee) for our time stayed.

Upon reporting of the issue we immediately dispatched our maintenance team. We found that 2 squirrels did get into the unit. There was no nest inside or directly outside of the unit, as indicated by the guest, as the squirrels were not nesting or occupying the unit. The unit was occupied 10 straight days prior to the guest with no complaints. We do employ a rigorous pest control program for bugs, mice and rats but squirrels are not considered and they rarely, if ever go inside a unit. Given we resolved the problem we felt the guest needed an option to conveniently be relocated next door and to upgrade the guest from a 2 bedroom cabin to a 4 bedroom cabin which offered double the size and amenities as well as a home theater room for their trouble and inconvenience. After checkout the guest requested compensation. We promptly refunded via check *** of their rent given the inconvenience. We would have refunded the card on file but it was expired and we could not refund it. The cleaning fee, as the customer states, was not ***** The cleaning fee was *** plus tax ********* Given we upgraded the guest at no charge to a larger unit right next door with more amenities including a theater room and for a value of over **** and refunded an additional ******* for the night of inconvenience we felt this was a reasonable offer. We absolutely do apologize for the inconvenience. Our units are safe, modern, clean and we have excellent feedback...we just had to rogue squirrels that decided to find their way into a cabin this one night. As such we credited the guest for this night and upgraded the guest due to the squirrels behavior. Guest also states they wanted to speak to a manager. The person they referenced, **** ***, is our Operations and Customer Service manager so we did also satisfy that request. We felt like our response was prompt and effective and we also do apologize for the inconvenience.

Cabin, Cottage & Chalet - Rentals, Resorts