BBB Accredited Business since 10/06/2006

Cabins of the Smoky Mountains

9 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 4 closed in last 12 months

09/22/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Was charged initial deposit and first nights rent for a cabin I didn't stay one night in.
On August 16th 2014 we had a reservation for ******* ****** **** a cabin rented through ****** of the ***** ********** We booked it over a year out and the check in experience was just the beginning. We gave a phone number to a woman at office and she told us we would be notified when the cabin was ready as well as directions. It wasn't until almost 5pm when the cabin was ready. Please don't tell me about the fine print of delays upon check in that was just a pathetic experience. We were never notified and only found out it was ready after we made several calls to the office only to be told sorry we're busy and we don't have enough people to look at every cabin to know when it's ready. Ah, isn't that your job? Found out later that day when I checked my email they were nice enough to have sent us the info via email about 25 minutes prior to our final call when we found out it was ready.

After the fiasco of waiting in a grocery store parking lot for over an hour with a car load of groceries and tired travelers from ******** ********* ************ & ******** we drove to the cabin which was in a nice location and from the initial appearance was as advertised. Then we got out of our cars to find trash all under the steps leading to the front door. A screened in porch that surrounds the main level was anything but. The main screen door was about to fall off and minus any screen. Screens throughout the porch were punched out and in need of repair. The two grills were once propane and apparently converted to charcoal grills as well as disgusting and not cleaned since who knows when. The shower door in main level bath came completely off track and a water handle came off and we couldn't turn water off in the Jacuzzi in the same room. This was all I needed to see the place was a dump.

The company that rented it to us ****** of the ***** ********* claims they rent ****** cabins, well this wasn't one of them. They weren't very concerned about our issues. ****, was the manager I spoke with and his attitude left a lot to be desired about our situation. His solution was to send maintenance and housekeeping to the property. Well, hours later by the time maintenance had arrived we were all packed back up and in our cars as we had found a last minute rental from a very accommodating company to our inconvenience.

Currently Cabins of the Smoky Mountains is refusing to refund the initial deposit and first nights rent back for a total of over $600. They threw all the blame on the owner. Well, I'm sorry, but they are both to blame as I'm sure they knew quite well of the dumb we were walking into and the problems that came with it.

It wasn't what was advertised and wasn't worth $2500 we were paying to rent it for the week. There was a year to prepare for our arrival and make the necessary repairs and maintenance of the property.

It is my sole intention to be refunded the initial deposit and first nights rent. My bank has been notified and I have disputed the charge with them as well.

Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay at ********** ***** ******* We appreciate all guests' feedback and are constantly striving to be the best in the business and could not do so without information from our guests'. Here at ********** ***** ****** we treat each and every guest as if they were family and our goal is to keep guests for a lifetime.

We spoke to Ms. ******** today and feel we have made her happy by giving We hope she is pleased with the conversation she had with **** and hope to have her and her family as a return guest. If there is anything else we can do please let us know.

02/12/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Quoted price not honored, I contacted company via chat. I requested a quote on a cabin for the dates of 2nd - 9th. I was given a written quote of $$$$ for the week. When I called to make the reservation (as directed in the chat), I was told that they would not honor the price that was quoted and that I would need to pay almost $$$$ more if I wanted the cabin.I feel that this is bad customer service. I would like a fair compromise to settle this situation.

We at Gatlinburg Falls Resort have spoken to customer and have addressed her concerns and honored what she was previously quoted.

06/24/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I contacted them on June,2013 to cancel my reservation for Oct-2013 (59 days in advance) and was informed that their policy is not to refund the deposit more than 30-days in advance, but rather put that money in escrow for up to 2-years to be used for a future reservation date.It is unthinkable that any business would not refund a deposit if canceled far enough in advance where the facility could be re-reserved. I do understand where a deposit could be forfeited if canceled less than 30-days where the facility could not be re-reserved.I asked them what would happen if something happened to my family that we were never able to use the escrow, they informed me it could go to my estate or eventually could potentially keep the deposit. At some point I will have to try and use this deposit but will never use this business again! In addition, with business associations; plus, document my frustration through Internet postings with my frustration non-refunding deposits policy.

Refund of my deposit.

We at Gatlinburg Falls Resort regret to hear that any of our guests are disappointed. He booked his cabin online on April-2013. Whenever a reservation is made online, the cancellation agreement must be read and agreed upon before the deposit is processed. The reservation agreement states our cancellation policy which reads "should you need to change your dates or cancel; you can reschedule your reservation any time with no penalty as long as the change is processed at least 30 days in advance of your stay. The deposit is placed in escrow, to be held for 2 years, for a future reservation".
At our company all of our cabins are individually owned, so whenever a reservation is made, we have a fiduciary responsibility with the cabin owner to provide revenue for them through that cabin rental. If the reservations are made, the cabin owner is expecting to receive revenue from the booking and if the reservation is cancelled, we are still obligated to pay the owner. The agreement is always available for further viewing on our website at the bottom under reservation agreement. The guest filing the complaint also received the reservation agreement one additional time upon his request before canceling the reservation. While I understand and sympathize with his frustration, our reservation policy is standard and but we go above and beyond to make every guest aware of the policy multiple times. In our industry we have one of the most customer friendly policies. At Gatlinburg Falls Resort our staff strives for the best customer service and tries to do everything possible to make sure every guest has a wonderful and memorable vacation.

05/02/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

When checked into Gatlinburg Falls we were given a number to call with any problems we had. The office was not open 24/7 but the phone system was and someone would be there to meet our needs. We arrived to our cabin to find no power to our hot tub. Called the number given to us at least eight times that night.
After an average of 10 minutes on hold we were either disconnected or we got a recorded message. When reached the recording, I was prompted to leave a message and someone would call us back! I made 17 calls during our four night stay with no response. I personally went into the main lodge while we were still guests there. They were sorry for the phone problems and would send a maintenace man out . On the frist visit from their maintenance man, our second day, he flipped a switch and we were "good to go". There would be no refund because they were able to fix the problem. Hot tub heated all day, however when we got into it and turned the jets on, it kept flipping the circuit breaker.Back to phone calls because the office is closed, same unsucessful routine with their phone system!
The next morning my wife went back to the office, and insisted on seeing a manager. She personally would called maintenance herself to get them out there. After I reminded her they NEVER would have goten our business with no hot tub! She would call GGGGGG to come out and fix the tub, and refunded 10% of our stay. She assured us they would be there to fix it that day. After being gone all day and ready to get into that hot tub we returned to discover that nothing had been done! Back to the phones...surprisingly I got someone for the first time. GGGG was called and out to our cabin after 7 pm. The man was there for well over an hour repairing several problems confirming our suspicion Gatlinburg Falls Resort knew the hot tub needed attention before we arrived. We waited for it to heat and enjoyed the tub. However we felt something was still wrong when we kept having to reset it with the switch on the wall.
Now we are on our last night there. Returned from an all day adventure ready to get into the hot tub only to discover the tub was not heating! Back to the phone circu. This time I talked with HHHHH, another manager. She too was very friendly and very sorry. She would go ahead and refund another 10% if maintenance could not fix it that night. We told her this was our last night and we were done fighting with it. I shared with her that everyone was friendly but extremely ineffective with getting this problem resolved. I again reminded her we never would have booked a cabin with no hot tub! She sent another maintenance man out after 9pm, he confirmed that the tub was still broken! At 9:36 DDDDD called to confirm the tub was not repaired therefore she would refund our second 10%. She said she did not have the power to refund any more, but would talk with the other managers. Now its check out time! I am back into the lodge asking to see the manager on duty. Confirmed with her tub was broken and asked about status of my requested 50% refund. Nope she felt $140 off a $938 bill was plenty of compensation. While KKKKK lacked the friendliness of the others she did agree to refund the $30 cleaning fee for the tub! Now I am home and discovered the cleaning fee was not refunded. Spoke withMMMMM, she says she is a manager, she was rude and lied to me. Nope there would be no refund of the cleaning fee as promised. Nope she was not over the other managers but was part of the management team. she claims OOOOO has nothing to do with this resort, a claim I know is false. All in an attempt to keep me from her chain of command.

We never would have rented a cabin with no hot tub. Gatlinburg Falls Resort advertised a hot tub in this unit knowing it was inoperable. We are seeking $273.98 which would be a full 50% refund as well as the 30 cleaning fee that I was promised by MMMMM would be refunded.

We regret any guest stay with us was less than impeccable and apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you during your stay. We at Gatlinburg Falls Resort strive to maintain the most guest friendly and accommodating staff and amenities.

Being a premier resort our call volume is often very high. We sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced when trying to reach us. We do have a guest service line open 24 hours and work as diligently as possible to get to every call quickly.

We at Gatlinburg Falls feel we did everything possible to fix the hot tub in the cabin. 99% of the time when a hot tub does not work tripping the breaker is the most effective result. Knowing what problems are normal for a hot tub, our maintenance man followed procedure and the hot tub seemed to be back up and going. According to our records a guest care representative had called to make sure the stay was up to par on April 2nd and the guest response was that ''It was good''. Around 10pm the guest called and stated the hot tub was acting up again. We immediately dispatched our maintenance crew and they came straight up to the cabin to re-address the problem.

In the instant we discovered we were not going to be able to get the hot tub working we called our hot tub vendor who discovered the relays where malfunctioning which was not allowing the hot tub to work. Tub vendor said that this sometimes happens with hot tubs and is not preventable. They replaced the sensor as well as the pressure switch to solve the problem. Vendor then let us know that the hot tub was working.

Because we understand the importance of the Hot Tub on a guest vacation, ffff one of our front desk managers offered the guest 10% back due to the inconvenience.

Later on nnnnn follow up to see if the issue was resolved. When nnnnn called the guest they stated the hot tub was still not working. NNNN immediately gave the guest an additional 10% off for a total of $157.86 discount which we felt was more than fair considering the issue at hand.

We would be happy to offer the customer the hot tub fee back with the 20% we already returned. We feel that this is fair compensation for the trouble her party experienced. We strived to do everything necessary to fix issue when they are brought to our attention. Just as in someone's personal home, issues arise that cannot always be fixed during a person's stay with us. The hot tub issue, due to her party bringing it to our attention, has been resolved and has not been a reoccurring issue. For this we would like to express our appreciation.

We here at Gatlinburg Falls Resort feel we took all the necessary measures to fix the hot tub issue and apologize if she feels it was handled incorrectly, we feel the compensation she was offered is more than fair. We would like to thank you for your feedback and hope we are able to serve you again in the future.

01/07/2015Problems with Product / Service
07/01/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The dryer, refrigerator and fireplace didn't work, it was dirty, there was a screw sticking up out of the floor and customer service was awful. I have made every effort to speak to someone other than a Front Desk Manager and no one will call me back. Their resolution to the issue is to give me 1 free night on a 2 night minimum stay and 10% off the additional time we are there I tried explaining that they fixed the fireplace and gave me a bottle of drain opener (that didn't work)and left because it was so late and we were going to bed since we had to be out the next morning. I took pictures of the hair, toilet, rug and screw so I have those as proof. I also recorded what everything looked like when we left. I called and they showed up at after I called and got hung up on, put on hold and hung up on again and then advised that we would be made a priority. We discovered the next morning that when the young men had shown up to "resolve" the issues that they had turned off the refrigerator without telling us so the food that was just staying cool was actually warm, so over $$$ of food was thrown out. I would like a refund of the cost of the stay and the food that had to be thrown out.

It is unfortunate that this guest left on an unhappy note, as we feel we did everything in our power to make their stay enjoyable. Our guest care representative, offered to send someone to resolve the issues which customer refused, saying she wanted someone there at that moment. We told the guest we could clean the cabin while she was enjoying her day and she stated she wanted to be in the cabin. We offered the guest to move cabins and she refused to do that as well. Our Guest Care Manager called customer and she reported issues with her and she told her she would let her know when we could send maintenance to the cabin to fix any issues she had because she wanted to be in the cabin when they arrived. When the guest arrived back to her cabin she called back and spoke to our Guest Care Representative very upset because no one had been to her cabin to fix the issues. Kayla was trying to explain to customer that it was our understanding she did not want anyone in the cabin while she was not there and her phone disconnected. When Rep called customer back she threatened so Rep. disconnected the call. We feel that everything reported would have been taken care of in a timely manner, had guest allowed us to do so. We apologize for any misunderstanding that went on between her and any of our guest care representatives and would have been happy to help her had she allowed us to do so. I would like to note that when we were allowed to enter the cabin everything was taken care of in a timely manner. Due to all the confusion we did offer Guest a free night and she refused we also offered her to move cabins when she first reported all the issues which she declined as well. We at Gatlinburg Falls Resort feel we handled this situation to the best of our ability.

01/14/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The reservation associate made a mistake with the dates of my reservations and the company would not issue a refund.
I called to make a reservation on a cabin for December (3days). After spending 30 minutes with the representative on the phone looking at what they had available for that busy time of the year (holidays season), looking at pictures of cabins on their website and discussing rates, I decided to book a cabin. Sometime later I received a confirmation email but did not double check the dates. Today I called them to try and make a change to the reservation and stay an extra night. I was informedthat my reservation was made in the past, for September. She said there was nothing that she could do about changing or refunding the full amount they had already charged my credit card since "I couldn't prove they made the mistake". After pressing the issue, she said she would talk to the rep who made the reservation, to "see if she remembered" and get back to me "sometime".

Dates of reservations corrected or a full refund.

We have fixed the issues with the guest.

As per my last update, this has not been resolved and I have not heard back from the company.

Ms.stayed with us on 3 days without charge due to the prior mistake.

Cabin, Cottage & Chalet - Rentals, Resorts