BBB Accredited Business since 19/03/1983

West York Paving Limited

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

01/29/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

While installing the base material on my driveway in preparation for paving, York West Paving damage the stucco on my house and broken a fence post.
I hired York West paving in July 2014 to pave my driveway with the understanding that they would place the granular base material in July and come back to finish the paving in the fall.

While placing the granular material, employees of York West paving damage the stucco on the side of my house and broke one of the gate posts rendering the gate inopperable . I was not informed of the damage and called **** ******* to ask what happened. He informed me that while removing the old asphalt, a large piece fell off the excavator hit the house and caused the damage to the stucco. I was not provided a full explaination as to how the gate post was broken. **** accknowledged the damamge and assured me it would be fixed.

After weeks of numerous phone calls to both **** and his office, they finally had someone come to fix the fence post, all they did was replace a fence board and tighten the screws on the gate. I was told they were too busy and that I should hire my own contractor to do the repairs and they would reimburse me. When I did this, I was told that it was too expensive and they would not pay so they will do it.

They finally sent someone again for the fence in early Sept to replace the post, again this was not done and only minor work was done to the gate. There has been no attempt to fix the stucco at all.

In the most recent conversations with ****, he assured me it would be done by the end of last week, no one showed up and I never recieved a phone call. After calling him again on Monday he assured me he would call me by the end of the day and would have it complete this week. I still have not heard back.

With all this focus on trying to get the damage fixed, time has passed and I still do not have my driveway paved. With the bad weather fast approaching this needs to be completed in the next week or so and I have had no luck communicating with anyone at this company.

**** mentioned that he would have his workers repair the stucco which I find hard to believe they could do a good job as they are pavers not stucco installers. My house is brand new, just finished building it in March, so the stucco and fence is all brand new, I would like both repaired by a qualified person.

All I want is for them to repair the damage they did and to pave my driveway as per our agreement. I have had absolutly no luck with communicating with them so I had to resort to filing this complaint. I feel I have been more than patiant as it has been almost five months since then initial damage was done.

Hi ***, I just received this customers complaint and read his concerns. I have spoken to **** whom has been dealing with this client and he has been speaking with ***** ***** regarding these issues he has at his home. **** has since been in contact with ***** and is arranging to have his fence post replaced this week and Stucco professionally repaired by a Stucco contractor also weather permitting.Please advise the customer that these issues will be addressed shortly and to kindly let you know at the BBB that the complaint has been taken care of to his satisfactory.Thank you.

*** ******

The response to my original complaint received from York West paving on Nov 18 stated that work would be completed that week. To date, no work has been completed, while **** has been in touch with me, he promised to complete the work the next day on at least three separate occasions. Every time I talk to him he says he will have someone there tomorrow and will call me back. He never calls me back or responds to my text messages.

This morning I had to call his office before I got a response. I have ask on several occasions to at least give me a date to which he cannot. This morning he said he would call back in five minutes and have not heard from him, I even tried calling him and no response.

I have remained patient over the past five months believing that they will do as they promise and still have not seen any sort of effort on their part to resolve this issue.

As stated in my original complaint, the weather could get bad anytime now and the opportunity to pave my driveway will be lost. I don;t think it is too much to ask for a paving company to pave my driveway within a reasonable amount of time. I built an entire house in five months, I can't even get York West Paving to pave my driveway in the same amount of time.

In regards to the minor repairs which Mr.***** is still complaining about, he did take it upon himself to Hold back $1,300.00. Does this customer not realize that its the winter season and too cold outside to get these repairs done. From what I understand, Mr.***** and **** have an understanding that once the repairs take place he will pay the balance owing. At this point I do not believe Mr.***** has any right to complain further about the repairs as he is ahead of the game with the balance of monies in his possession.Tell him **** will be in touch once the weather conditions improve so he can arrange for these repairs. Thank you

*** ******

I did take it upon myself to hold back $1300 for work that has not been completed, not sure why Mr. ****** would think he gets paid for incomplete work. Judging from their performance to date, I fully believe that if he was paid this money, I would never hear from him again.

Not sure what Mr. ****** is referring to when he says **** and I have an "understanding" the understanding was that this work was to be completed prior to Christmas before the bad weather. Despite repeated attempts to contact **** through phone and email since then I have not heard back.

This file should remain open until the work is completed to my satisfaction, which, at this point I do not believe will ever happen. It has been eight months and Mr. ****** and **** have been unable to coordinate and complete what he refers to as minor repairs. Not sure what the difficulty is to hire a fence and stucco contractor to complete the work. It mystifies my why Mr. ****** thinks this file should be closed, the complaint was about incomplete work, more specifically, damage done to my house caused his employees. These damages have still not been repaired, this file should remain open until such time the repairs have been made. I would expect that he would do everything in his power to fix damage caused by reckless employees, I guess customer service means nothing to him, money is his only concern.

While the current weather is not favorable to complete this work, it is completely the fault of Mr. ****** and **** for not completing the work during better weather, I think 6 months of good weather is plenty of time for any good contractor to complete "minor repairs" I built an entire house in five months in bad weather!! So this is a lame excuse as far as I am concerned. There are steps that can be taken to complete this work in any weather condition.

If I do not hear back from someone at West York in the immediate near future with a date as to when the work will be completed, I will assume that their intentions are to not complete this work and I will use the $1300 to hire my own contractors to complete this work. This has gone on long enough and I have been more than patient, my patients is now gone.

*****