BBB Accredited Business since 27/01/2014

Connon Nurseries

08/10/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I purchased TWO shrubs of a specific type from Connon last year. I did not know the botanical names but at least 3 people at Connon worked with me, including a gentleman who seemed to be the manager, to identify it. I asked if they had this shrub. I was advised that they did but that it was at another location. I asked them to bring 2 in. They did within a few days. I was called to pick them up which I did. I simply asked them what i owed them. They put an amount through my debit card. I had no interest in what the shrubs cost as I wanted them for aesthetic reasons.

THe shrubs seemed to be thriving. They had new green growth and both had the pink berries I wanted. Close to winter I went back to Connon to ask whether I needed to protect the shrubs for the winter. I was explicitly advised that they were native plants and that they needed no special protection unless they were in a totally open area, which they were not.

In the spring of 2016 the shrubs did not come back. I waited for a couple of months to see if they were just late. Eventually I scraped a bit of bark and it was clear they were dead.

I dug out the 2 shrubs and returned them to Connon. I was at that time treated respectfully. They asked what variety they were and i could only describe the pink berry feature. The same man who appeared to be the manager suggested that it could be one of two varieties. His opinion is that it was a specific one of those. I asked him if they were in stock and, again, he said no, but they were available at one of their other locations. He undertook to order them for me and replace the dead ones. I left the TWO dead shrubs with Connon that day. The manager person advised his employee to note that.

I did receive a call from a woman at Connon's about 2 weeks later, saying that they did not have the species which the manager was ordering but that they did have another which also had the pink berries.

For personal reasons I was unable to contact Connon until today. I went in to arrange for a replacement of the two shrubs.

The same apparent manager was present and assuming a confrontational ************** attitude to my request. He questioned me as to whom I had dealt with, what they looked like, etc. He further suggested indeed insisted that i only bought ONE shrub and further that they would not replace the shrubs as I was advised that they would. The most he would do is give a credit for some portion of what though the shrubs were valued at.

This is not an issue involving any significant amount of money. Rather it relates to customer service and mostly the insulting attitude the manager employed. His accusation that I was lying about purchasing two shrubs is totally unacceptable, particularly since I LEFT the two shrubs with Connon in HIS presence. He dismissively told me that he had many employees and sees hundreds of customers so he cannot be expected to remember my situation. I understand this but I think he should then have listened to my explanation rather than constantly interrupting me to challenge what I was saying.

For instance he was diverted into an irrelevant discussion of which employee who wore a ***** hat I dealt with. Frankly, I don't remember and I doubt anyone would.

I want them to replace my two shrubs, nothing more. This is what I was explicitly led to believe I was entitled to.

On behalf of my sales team, I want to apologize for the unfortunate events that took place. We have built our 108 year old business by looking after each and every customer to the best of our abilities, and we certainly want to resolve this well.

My understanding is that these two shrubs did come back, but because they are a very unique species, availability is usually difficult. In these cases, credit notes are issued, where the customer can choose to wait, or replace the lost shrubs with another variety of his/her choice. However to produce a credit note, the original invoice needs to be produced to know what we are crediting. The customer did not have an invoice, nor knew the name of the plant he purchased which made it difficult. Howeever with the description he gave, we searched our records and found one called "First Editions Pumpkin Hypericum" that he purchased on June 29, 2015. One was purchased, not two, and it was at the Waterdown Garden Centre location, not the location he came to. If there was another purchase made for a second one, it must have been entered under a different name and phone number - information that wasn't provided. My manager then offered to issue a credit note for the full value of that purchase, but the customer declined, insisting that we replace it with two shrubs (which were not in stock).

Recommendation to Resolve: in good faith that two were purchased, we would like to offer the customer two flowering shrubs of his choice that are currently in stock at either of our two Waterdown locations. He can choose anything in a 2 or 3 gallon size (the size of the original purchase).

We hope this is an amicable solution, and that this will help to restore this relationship.

SOme solution such as you suggested here is an option.

However, I CANNOT accept your claim that i only bought ONE shrub. Clearly i brought TWO back to you. I actually gave them to your manager and HE was the chap to told the girl at the counter WHAT they were.

So HOW ON EARTH can he claim i bought only ONE?

I did not come back a second time. I did not buy one ANYWHERE else.

Perhaps your people only billed me for one. Frankly I don't know. I NEVER asked what the price was i just said order me two. When they came in i just asked what i owed and paid it. That's it.

I would think that your records would show what you requested from your other location that had these shrubs as they were NOT available at either of your local locations.

I resent the implication that I a lying about buying two shrubs. Frankly, even if I did, they would both be covered by your warantee so i fail to see what the problem is here.

What I want is simple. I want you to replace these two pink berry shrubs which I dearly wanted. I don't care what their botanical names are, I just want the lovely pink berries.

If they cost more than the actual cost I paid I am happy to give you that to resolve this.

I have always known you to be a reputable and very helpful and knowledgeable company. I just don't understand what set this manager off so quickly when he was so helpful the time I brought the dead ones in?

Hi ******, our solution is to give you two FREE 2 or 3 gallon flowering shrubs, there is nothing more to debate. You may have brought back two dead plants, but only one is registered in our system as purchased. You have used words such as "resent" and "lying" which is unfortunate, but please understand that documents are documents, and ones that you yourself cannot produce. It is also possible that you purchased them at our 50% off cash and carry sale where no warranty applies, and they sold you 2 for the price of 1. Despite this, we've conceded to give you two free plants as an effort to maintain our long-standing business relationship. We don't have the two pink-berried flowering shrubs in stock, and may not until next year, so I'll leave the final plant choices up to you, including when you would like them.

I trust this is satisfactory,
Connon Nurseries

Firstly, I don't know whether I am communicating with the manager I dealt with or someone else.

I brought you dead shrubs that you sold me.

There was no sale that I know of. I never questioned the amount you charged me.

Sadly, if I go forward, I know the date of the purchase and will require evidence from the clerk who sold me the shrubs. Since they were at one of your other locations I assume someone there received your requisition for them and that it will reflect that they delivered two of them to you.

Look, if you cannot replace this shrub, which is what a phone call from you suggested, then I understand.

I will not leave this with you alleging I bought one shrub and want you to replace two.

Integrity is more important to me than the few dollars involved.

So my walk away solution is this since you want to negotiate that way: acknowledge that I did, or at least you don't know how many I bought, replace the two shrubs if you have them, if not I will accept your offer.

Please realize without your allegation of wrongdoing I will proceed and find out what a judge believes.

Nurseries - Plants, Trees, Garden Centers, Lawn & Garden Equipment & Supplies