BBB Accredited Business since 01/16/2012

Windsor Windows & Doors

6 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

05/08/2015Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Two warranty replacement window units provided were incorrectly sized. Won't fit into the brick to brick opening at our home in Huntsville, AL.
Two warranty replacement window units delivered to my home on 9/2/2014 were not built correctly for my window openings nor the same as the origina window units. The size of these windows with the ***** brickmould attached has to fit into a brick to brick opening of 75 7/16" (H) by 36" (W). The overall dimensions of the warranty replacement windows with the ***** brickmould pre-attached and as-delivered were 77 5/8 (H) x 36 1/2" (W). Therefore these replacement window units are 2 3/16" taller and 1/2" wider than the brick to brick window opening will ever accommodate. Shipper selected by Windsor Windows would not take the window units back to them once they were unloaded from their truck for a measurement since they were delivered to the edge of my driveway in an undamaged condition? These window units should have never been directly delivered to me but should have been delivered to Stewart Lumber in Nashville, TN for measurement since that is where the original window units being replaced were purchased. Bottom line is these replacement window units are not built correctly and won't ever fit into the window opening the same as the original window units. Windsor Window customer service has decided to send new piece parts (brickmoulding and subsill) in order to rebuild the window units. Evidently, both they and Stewart lumber are expecting me to pay a third party individual to remanufacture the windows correctly for them which is a totally unacceptable solution. Already been down that road once before with this window company and that is why the original units needed to be replaced after only 6 years of service.

Windsor Windows at their own expense needs to either replace both window units with units having the correct overall dimension with brick moulding attached of 75 7/16" (H) x 36" (W) or send an employee to my residence to rebuild both of the incorrectly built window units to be correctly dimensioned. Need both of the incorrectly built window units replaced with properly built/dimensioned units. If some re-build option uing window piece parts is preferred by Windsor Windows then they will need to send a Windsor Window factory trained and qualified employee to do that work.

Mrs. ****** - In regards to Mr. ********'s windows, we were replacing one window under warranty, and we were giving him a second window at no charge (good-will) even though there was not any rotting of that particular unit. The replacement window units were made Mrs. ****** - In regards to Mr. ********'s windows, we were replacing one window under warranty, and we were giving him a second window at no charge (good-will) even though there was not any rotting of that particular unit. The replacement window units were made to the same specifications as the original windows. We obtained the sizing information from the original quotation back in 2007.
Our warranty states that labor, finishing and disposal are not covered at all. This was stated to Mr. ******** by our service coordinator, ***********. Our Field Service Technician tells me that the reason the units do not fit is due to Mr. ********'s people altering the window and the sill area to cover a void left by the brick rowlock. This is not a Windsor issue, but rather an issue that needs to be addressed with the people who had done the alterations.

Windsor will agree to send Darren Pressley, our service technician back to his house, and see what if there is anything that we could provide to him to help him with his situation. We are not going to do any of the alterations to our windows that he may be needing. We will schedule Daren the next time he is in the Huntsville area. It looks like it would be sometime after Thanksgiving. We can schedule it with Darren and our scheduler.

Field Service Mgr.

I'm satisfied with the proposed plan to have Mr. Darren Pressley come to my home as soon as possible to assess the window unit sizing issue. However, the reason the new windows won't fit a brick-to-brick window opening of 75 7/16" (H) by 36" (W) has absolutely nothing to do with Mr. Peterson's incorrect assumption regarding the minor rowlock gap issue that my installer satisfactorily resolved on the currently installed windows units.
The overall dimensions of each warranty replacement window with the WM180 brickmould pre-attached and as-delivered are 77 5/8 (H) x 36 1/2" (W). The existing windows were originally sized and ordered by ******* Lumber Company. They were supposed to fit into a brick-to-brick window opening of 75 7/16" (H) by 36" (W). Therefore, ******* Lumber defined the sizes of the two existing/installed window units in the original order ... not me. Both replacement window units are 2 3/16" taller and 1/2" wider than the two window units they were supposed to be replacing. The new window units won't ever fit the brick-to-brick window opening without them being re-built or having on-site modification(s) performed.
***********, (i.e. Windsor Windows Field Service Coordinator) absolutely knew the windows needed to fit a brick-to-brick opening of 75 7/16" (H) by 36" (W) before she ever submitted the order to have the new replacement windows built. Also the WM180 brickmould was to be shipped loose and not pre-attached but that is not how they were built and delivered? The original/existing window units fit into the 75 7/16" (H) by 36" (W) brick-to-brick opening correctly except for the need to add a simple bull nose onto the front of the sub-sill in order to cover a minor rowlock gap. The original/installed windows required no modifications in either height or width but the new replacement windows will definitely need to be either re-built and/or modified in order to fit. The labor costs to rebuild or modify the incorrectly built and delivered replacement window units should absolutely be at Windsor Windows or ******* Lumber Company expense ... not mine.

I only filed this BBB complaint because Windsor Windows stopped responding to my emails requesting further support and did not return any phone calls after the sizing issue was raised.

V/R,
**** ********

Our service technician met with **** ******** on Tuesday, April 28th, and he discovered that his two windows in question were set up incorrectly from the plant. The windows had the wrong sub sill, and the wrong spread mull and inconsistent margins on the brick mould . This is causing the units not to fit in the existing openings. He brought the units back to Monroe with him to have them repaired at the plant with all new exterior trim. We will be taking units back to **** Johnson when he has another job in his area within the next few weeks.

Extremely satisfied now .. just took to long to get to this point. Please close the complaint. Thank you! **** ********

05/29/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

We have a Windsor sliding door that is leaking. It is still under warranty. We have contacted the Windsor representative for the Charlotte, NC area and they gave us the name of the person that would fix our problem. However, we have called him numerous times and he says that he will be out on a certain day and never shows or calls. We call again, and the same thing happens. This has been at least 3 times. We called the factory representative to ask what do we do since the repair guy is not following through. The factory representative stated he doesn't know what we can do!
Product_Or_Service: Windsor Windows and Doors 2005

We want somebody to come fix the problem before our floors get damaged.

From what I understand, the homeowner contacted us, and because his patio door was 9 years old, parts were still under warranty, but no labor would be covered. Because our own technician was booked out several weeks, the homeowner was given the name of a 3rd party that works on Windsor products, along with other window companies products. He is an independent contractor, not employed by Windsor, but a resource that we have recommended to people over the years. Generally, we have had good reviews with this gentleman. because we were not directly involved with Windsor performing any services, no service ticket was issued, and assumed handled by this 3rd party.
Unbeknownst to us, we did not know that this 3rd party did not follow through with his promises of phone calls or dates to do the work. We find out from a letter that we received from the homeowner around April 2nd or 3rd. apparently he filed a complaint with the BBB on April 2nd.
On April 8th, we entered a service ticket and contacted the homeowner and also set up an appointment to have the Windsor Service Technician, Darren Pressley, to go to the job on April 10th. We told them that any parts would be covered under the warranty, and that we would pick up the labor charge this time as a good will gesture for all the waiting they had to do on the 3rd party. Typically, we would charge for any labor that we perform in the field, since labor is not covered under the warranty.
Our technician changed out some weather-stripping on the frame, interlock and the bottom of the operating panel. He adjusted the door and sprayed it with water and got no leaks. He reported that the homeowners were happy.
On April 23rd, we sent out a completion notification that the service performed on this property was complete, and that we were closing the service ticket, and to notify us with any questions.
It is now May 15th and we have not heard anything further from the homeowners, so everything must still be good. If they have anything else, all they need to do is contact us.

02/23/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

For the safety of my family I am demanding these windows be replaced after years of being ignored. Please see details below.
We purchased our Pinnacle wood clad windows for our entire house when we built in 2004. We have extreme condensation on ALL windows and in some cases, black mold on the wood sills and water stains down our walls. Since we noticed the problem we have even ran dehumidifiers on both floors thinking this was a humidity problem, but now I see this is clearly a defect. We need this matter addressed immediately; We have 3 children and this is clearly a health hazard and I am immensely concerned for the safety of my family.
We paid about $12,000 for all our windows and patio door and for years have been told by Windsor customer service that this was a "humidity problem in my home". A simple recent Google search shows I am not the only one to experience this.
Today I sent a written complaint to Windsor with hopes that they will be willing to correct the issues we have without me pursuing legal action.

Full replacement of all defective windows and doors plus any other damages caused by these faulty windows including installation

We have been notified that we have not responded to the attached complaint. We have not responded directly to the BBB because we responded directly to the *******'s via email.
On 11-18-14, we received a web request from the *******'s stating the same things that they did in the BBB complaint. We responded back on the Nov. 19th stating that condensation is not covered under our warranty, and that condensation is not a defect of the window but a humidity issue inside of the home. We attached a Care & Use Guide along with videos from Andersen Windows and Pella Windows explaining condensation, along with one from www.window and door.com explaining window condensation. This was all done in the hopes of informing the homeowner on the subject of condensation. We asked that they send some photos and the glass date of the windows so we can look at them. On Nov. 20th we received some photos and information that they have their humidity levels set at 35%.
On Nov. 25th we received some additional photos and were also given the date code of the windows. We looked at all of the photos sent and concluded that it was condensation and that it looked like all that was affected were the glass stops. We said that these could be either lightly sanded and refinished or you could replace the glass stops if they so desired. We referred them to a local dealer with their address and phone number so they can contact them to order glass stop. We also included another video on condensation from the family handyman website. Once again we stated that their issue is not a warranty issue and thus will not be covered under any warranty.
We have not heard back from them since the 11/25 email response from us.
Cold exterior temperatures + indoor humidity=Condensation. There is not one window company that warrants condensation claims. That is because it is something that the window companies cannot control. To put it simply, if you are getting excessive condensation then your interior humidity levels are too high.
I have always counseled homeowners to be sure to keep their wood protected with some type of polyurethane or an equivalent finish to keep any moisture such as condensation from damaging the wood itself. Wood is a cellular material, not unlike a sponge, it will absorb moisture. That is why wood must be protected.
I apologize to the BBB for not responding back to them in a more timely manner. My thinking was that responding directly to the homeowner directly by Windsor was a sufficient enough response.
*** ******** - Field Service Mgr.

02/23/2015Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

We have several windows in our house that have rotted. Windsor told us they would replace them and then said it was too many windows.

In August on 2013 I called Windsor Windows to complain about water damage on several windows. The next day they sent out a Sales rep Tom Love who took pictures and said he would follow up. I called Tom for two weeks and he NEVER responded. I finally called the home office who promised to handle my claim. I called daily to talk to customer service. Each day I would call back and they would say they had my wrong last name or the wrong phone number. Finally they said Yes we will replace the windows but we would need to pay for the labor and I said that is fine. Lynn said we need to send out someone to measure and take pictures. I waited 7 days and started the process of calling all over again. I spoke to Lynn who said she needed her boss approval for this many windows. I then called daily and every day she said her boss is busy and she would keep trying to get them approved. The week of October 13th Lynn said I am sorry but I boss said he can not approve the windows we need to talk to his boss's boss. I then waited 4 days and started the process of calling to find out what was going on. Today I received a call from Betty who said that Lynn was sick and she would handle the case. She told me her boss said he can not approve the windows because the damage was customer care. When I asked why were you going to replace them originally she said they are only allowed to approve up to a certain amount. Again I told her regardless you either have a warrant or not and the company should replace the windows. She told me her only option was to offer me a discount on new windows.
I told her that was not an option and I wanted the original windows replaced.

I am asking for the damage windows to be replace. As the home owner I am willing to pay for the install of the new windows.

Dear Mrs. ****** - In regards to the above complaint filed by Mrs. ********, we told her that the windows in question were not covered under our warranty due to maintenance issues.

The latter part of August, we sent out the Windsor Regional Sales Mgr. to look at the windows and take some pictures. Apparently when **** talked with Mrs. ********, and being told that the windows were rotting, she must have assumed that it was a manufacturing error that caused the rot, in which, it would be covered under warranty. Once she found out how many units were involved, she had to elevate the request to me, since it was over her authorization limit. **** was still in training on her service position, and should not have committed to anything until all of the information was obtained and then analyzed. We cannot go back and ask here because she passed **** on October 27th.

Upon looking at the pictures, it became apparent that the parts that were rotting was due to a lack of homeowner maintenance (proper painting and caulking), this voids the warranty.

With **** being gone, this was communicated to her by telephone. We did offer as a "good-will" gesture to sell her replacements at a discounted price.

Field Service Mgr.

I am confused on why the case was closed. The business did not offer the warranty of the windows. Do I need to submit a new claim?

I am confused as to what is happening here. I responded on 12/5/14 what we were willing to do for the homeowner as a "good-will" gesture since her windows were not covered under the warranty.
If she is wanting to take us up on our offer, please have her contact us at Windsor like she has done before. Our number is 1-800-218-2186 (x2095 or x2096) We would be happy to work with her and as stated previously, give her a discounted price to save her some money. I realize that she is not getting her desired resolution, but as stated before her windows do not meet the requirements of the warranty. Thus, the "good-will" offer rather than just walking away and offering nothing.

03/31/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I purchased windsow Windows for my home and I have a current mold problem due to the windows leaking. Windsor Windows refuses to return calls.
I purchased my new home in February of 2004 from *** ******** He installed Windsor Windows in the home. In 2007 my front windows starting turing black from mold from the windows leaking. I called Windor Windows and spoke to *** ********* He sent out **** ******* Field Service Technician, and after speaking to him he came up with the excuse that the cement sill was pitched wrong. I told him to put a level on the sill and we quickily saw that the window sill was pitched correctly which made him look ridiculous.
Windsor windows refused to fix the leaking windows until the builder threatened them with not purchasing their products ever again. They replaced the windows but I had to pay $1700 for the labor.
The windows lasted about five years and they started leaking again. I contacted *** ******** again and he was cooperative and asked if he could send **** ****** out again to inspect the windows. I agreed and after he inspected the windows he stated that he could replace part of the window that was exposed to water but he agreed the bottom sill could not be replaced or fixed. I asked him if the window will be replaced then? He stated to talk to *** ********* I made several calls to *** ******** after ******* report was submitted and he refuses to contact me.

My family has been exposed to mold do to this product which has been proven they are defective. I am seeking a 50 percent refund on the window and my $1700 I spent on the labor for the first window I had to replace. I will replace the window with another product. Two attempts with this product is enough for me.

I have now researched our service tickets and tech information on the ******* job.

The windows date code was 4-02, which means they were manufactured the 4th quarter of 2002.

The warranty in 2002 as well as today is for 10 years from the date of manufacture. The warranty also excludes any associated costs, such as labor for removal and installation, disposal, or refinishing. The warranty does not cover improper installation of the windows. Part of the installation instructions warns that they must maintain a 1/4" gap between the window frame and any masonry to allow for building settlement. The warranty also states that any component or product replaced are warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period.

1) On 3/30/07 we were notified of a claim by Mr. *******. We sent our tech ***** ******* out to investigate the issues of mold. Our investigation found that the limestone sills were installed incorrectly. They did not leave the minimum 1/4" gap between the limestone sill and the window frame. This causes what is called "brick bind". I have pictures showing the limestone sills butted tight to the window frame. This in turn damages the window frame by causing a negative pitch to the window, opening up the back corners of the window frame and allowing water to run toward the interior of the home rather than away. This will cause the interior wood parts and the wood frame of the window to be damaged by the water caused by this "brick bind". This is not covered under our warranty due to the improper installation. This occurred on the two front windows. One was in brick and the other was in stone. Mr. ******* conveyed to us that he wanted the two windows replaced, regardless of who was at fault. He didn't want to hear "well they did this or they did that, no he did or he did that". Profanity was also being displayed. It was obvious that they either were not going to get any help from the builder, or masonry people, or they had already been told no by them, but we were given an ultimatum to take care of it, because "it is a window defect." We have pictures showing the improper installation, pictures showing the damage caused by the improper installation, and our written warranty. I would have attached them, but not sure how to in this format.

Per our written warranty, these two windows were not covered under it, let alone any labor or refinishing cost. We decided to go above and beyond to help Mr. ******* out. Even though we were not at fault, we decided to give Mr. *******, the two large windows in the front of the house that he was having issues with at no charge. Even though it costs us several thousand dollars worth of product. We even agreed to pay for the install and refinishing costs even though they are not covered under our warranty. Being in Iowa, we were having difficulty finding someone to do the installation. Mr. ******* found someone that he wanted to do the work and we agreed to reimburse him. The windows were shipped the end of June 2007 and they were replaced in July or August. In August 2007, we reimbursed Mr. ******* $2,450.00 for the installation and finishing of the two windows. The *******'s also had some frame weather-stripping that was short on some other of his windows, so we supplied weather-strip to Absolute Windows and we paid them to install new weather-stripping in the other windows, too. Also, we never charged the homeowner for our techs time, even though it is not covered under our warranty.

2) In June of 2009, we received a new complaint on a two wide casement window that was experiencing similar conditions to the others two that were replaced. Mold and water damage. We sent Mike Perrin out to investigate and found the same "brick bind" conditions as before, causing the same damage to this window, as it did the other two. Mike states that Mr. ******* understood the concept of "brick bind" and the consequences of it. Since this voids our written warranty, we once again decided to help Mr. ******* out, and give him a new window unit at no charge as another "good-will" gesture to him. However, this time we were not going to pay for the labor or refinishing costs. Once again, we did not charge him for our inspection and the time for our technician. It was all paid for by Windsor.

3) In November of 2013, we once again received a call from Mr. ******* saying that he is experiencing problems with one of the windows that were replaced in 2007. In November, I sent Mike Perrin back out to investigate his complaint and he discovered that the window frame had been compromised and it was experiencing was rotting issues. It was the window that we had replaced that was located in the stone. Once again, we did not charge for this visit. Windsor paid for the techs time. As stated above in the explanation of our warranty, that replacement windows warranty ran out the end of 2012.

I believe that many window companies would have walked away in 2007, let alone now in 2014. However, to be fair to Mr. *******, this is what I was going to propose when we ever had the chance to talk on the phone.
1. We will supply a new window unit to the *******'s at no charge.
2. We will pay for the install and finishing costs. However, I will need 2-3 bids, and they must be considered reasonable by me. If not, then I reserve the right to withdraw the labor and finishing part of this offer. Remember, technically, these are out of warranty, and even if they were in warranty, labor and refinishing are not covered.
3. We will deliver the window unit to the *******'s, but they will be responsible to unload the window from the truck (since the trucking companies will only get it to the back of the truck). They will not unload it.

In regards to some of Mr. *******'s comments in his complaint to the BBB:
1) Of course the limestone sill is going to have downward pitch to the exterior, but **** ****** was not concerned with that, he knows that the limestone sill is pitched downward to the exterior. What Mike did was put a level on the window itself and we have pictures showing the negative pitch on the window unit and the damaged corners caused by the improper placement of the limestone sill.
2) We were never threatened by his builder. I have no idea who *** ******* is, nor have I ever spoken with him. We only did what we did out of the "good will" of Windsor. We very well could have and probably should have walked away due to the warranty being voided.
The reason for the comment that we should have walked away, is because this has caused us thousands of dollars on something that was caused by someone else, with no appreciation from the *******'s as to what was actually done for them. Not unlike insurance companies who do not cover things caused by someone else, most window companies would walk once they have determine that their warranty has been voided.
3) We will not pay a 50% refund on this window. It is out of warranty.
4) We will not reimburse Mr. ******* for the $1700 that he spent on the labor for this window that was replaced. One, we paid $2450, he paid nothing. If it was $1700, then he misrepresented what was owned to him and he owes us $750 that he must have pocketed.

In conclusion, we have been more than fair in the past and with our current proposal. We will await Mr. *******'s response as to whether or not he wants to move forward with what I proposed.

12/22/2015Problems with Product / Service