Hubbell's Auto Repair Inc

06/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I took my car to have the Air fixed, I was charged $250 to have dye added & freon added as well as the check engine light tested. 2 weeks doesnt work.
April 24th, i took my car to have the Air fixed as it was not blowing cold air, as well as having the check engine light tested. I was told that it would be totaling at 40-60 and 30. After the car was taken i was told they called my husband and asked him if they should proceed with adding dye, my husband was not asked, he was told that they had to add dye and they total would be more to pick it up. I asked about it when i picked up my car and was told to bring it back if it didn't work later and they would fix it. Two weeks later and the air doenst work I call to have them look at it and they want me to pay to have it fixed. as well as not even being able to have an estimate on what it might be priced at. I was hung up on the phone and told i should have shopped around before i took it to them.

I would like for the car to either be fixed or a refund of the total $250. So that I can take the car somewhere else to actually be fixed.

When the 2009 Avenger was brought in the SES light was on and the air did not blow cold. The customer was told of the charge to run the computer performance test, $45.00, and the basic charge to check the A-C,$45.00, we ran the computer performance test, the computer had a code for the EVAP system large leak, we connected a smoke machine to the test port under the hood and injected smoke into the EVAP system, our inspection reveled that the fuel fill cap was not inserted into the fill tube and tightened, removing the fuel cap and inserting it and tightening sealed the leak. The A-C was low on Freon, we inspected the entire system for signs of A-C oil at connections and along the A-C hose assemblies. If we see A-C oil that would mean that the Freon leaked out there, we did not see any oil residue on the hose assemblies of at the connections so my service manager *** **** called the customer, ***** ******, and explained that we needed to evacuate the A-C system, fill it with the proper amount of Freon and inject A-C oil with a fluorescent dye that would enable us to inspect the system with a black light to show the leak. If the leak is not visible after running the system in the shop we tell the customer to drive the car and if the air stops blowing cold air to call and set a time to bring it back in and we will inspect the system with the black light, that will almost always show an A-C leak. When ******* called on May 12,2014 she said that her air was not blowing cold and we had done an A-C test two weeks before, I ask her when she could bring the car in so we could look at it, I explained that the recheck was a service that was included in the work already paid for however any repairs to fix any leak found would result in a charge. ******* said she would check with her husband before setting up a time. She called back a few minutes later very hostel about having to pay anything more to repair the A-C. I told her that the procedure for checking A-C leaks was evacuating and charging the A-C system with the proper amount of Freon, injecting oil and dye and running the system to get the dye to come out at the point of the leak. ******* also kept saying she "Paid $250.00 to FIX the A-C and should not have to pay more." I explained that $45.00 of the bill was to diagnose the Check Engine Light and tighten the gas cap. She started yelling about the fact she paid $45.00 to have the fuel cap tightened and that some auto parts stores would check codes free and she could have done that, she also said that her father takes his car to a shop that does not charge to put A-C dye in. It was at that point that I said if she could have gotten the work done free maybe she should have shopped around before bringing the car to us. I whished her a nice day and hung up the phone. She called right back and started yelling again this time about me hanging up on her, I said that I was not going to argue over the phone, that I was still willing to recheck the car and she was under no obligation to have us repair the car. She kept saying that she paid $250.00 and that should be enough to fix the A-C. I started to explain for the third or fourth time how the A-C system works and the procedure for finding and repairing leaks, that's when she threatened to file with the BBB and place a sign in her yard telling people not to come to us. She then hung up. We have been in business for 23 years and I have been a ASE Master certified technician for over 30 years, we know what we are doing and always explain pricing and procedure to customers before the work is done. We are still willing to inspect the car for A-C leaks and provide that information to the customer.

This does not help me, my husband was called and told that they had already put the dye in and it would cost more. Not asked if it was ok to do so. Also I was never wished to have a good day I was abruptly hung up on and when I called back the phone was answered and nothing was said so I called back yet another time to try to talk to the owner. Yet again he was not will to work with me at all.. never have I ever been told by a professional business I needed to "shop around" the reason we didn't go where my dad takes his is because its three hours away. Im sorry if I was looking for a professional business close to home so I could actually have my car back, as I need to get to work somehow. I have since taken my car to be checked yet again and want to be reimbursed for the cost to fix it correctly.

I will refund the charges. A check will be sent by May 30, 2014.

Auto Repair & Service, Tire Dealers