With the storms that happened yesterday, Better Business Bureau® Serving Central Indiana advises residents affected to be cautious when hiring a contractor. There are legitimate contractors, but there are some contractors who falsely create a local identity. A warning sign when working with contractors is when they offer extremely low prices and do quick repairs.
Better Business Bureau offers these tips before hiring a contractor in the aftermath of a storm:
- Don't hire people who just show up at your door offering services, such as tree or debris removal and roof repair.
- Before dealing with a contractor, contact your insurance company about the damages to see if you are covered.
- Resist high-pressure sales tactics, such as the “good deal” you’ll get only if you hire that contractor on the spot.
- Deal with reputable contractors, and check out BBB’s Accredited Businesses here
- Don’t feel rushed to make a decision, only make a decision you feel good about.
- When approached by a contractor, ask for proof of bonding and if you are a resident of Marion County ask for licensing.
- Check that the contractor’s vehicle has signs or marketing on it with the business name and phone number.
- Get several quotes, and insist payments be made to the company, not an individual.
- BBB encourages paying no more than one-third of the repair cost upfront.
- Get a written contract that specifies the price, the work to be done and a time frame for completion.
- Pay by credit card, if possible; you may have additional protection if there’s a problem.
- If you sign a contract in your home over $25 keep in mind the FTC’s Cooling Off Rule. For more information visit here.
Some of our BBB staff is out talking with the homeowners of those who were recently affected by the storm.
Individuals may contact the BBB at 866-463-9222 if you have any questions or visit our website at http://www.bbb.org/indy/ to find a business review on a company.