Hawaii

BBB Accredited Business since 09/06/2013

Aloha Family Moving and Storage LLC

6 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 6 closed in last 12 months

12/23/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Services resulted in additional damage (exp. Damaged product during shipping)

Complaint: Company does not take responsibility for damage to my home and property. Will not responsed to email.
Unprofessional from the get go they cancelled my first estimate then showed up late for the next one. That pales in comparison to the actual move itself. They had no plan and no leadership whatsoever in my across town move. They broke several frames and scratched furniture, dragged my couch along the tile floor leaving permanent scratches and scratched the leather couch. Inexperienced movers put a huge dent in brand new walls while moving furniture upstairs. When they were finished and I pointed out the damage they said "ok, well bye." No follow up has been done for my claim as they try to wait me out. Pricing is competitive but NOT worth it. Being an active duty member I was aghast that they advertise being a veteran owned company serving veterans and they provided such horrible service. If you value your items I recommend going with a more experienced and established moving company.

Mr.******,

A claim settlement package has been sent to :

**** ******** **, Honolulu, Hi, 96818

which is the listed current address for you.
Please fill out the claim settlement form and a check will be mailed to you within 30 days.

Thank you and have a blessed holiday.

11/18/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: This company failed to provide storage conditions as advertised. Our household goods were damaged and stolen.
We hired Aloha Family Moving and Storage to provide packing, moving, and temporary storage for our household move on 8/24/13, before our items would be picked up and shipped to Germany by the military on 10/4/13.
This complaint is being filed because the company fraudulently advertised their storage unit, and lack of security as promised resulted in several stolen items.
My husband made the arrangements with Aloha Family Moving and Storage. They had quoted him $225 to store our stuff in a "standard size crate" in a climate-controlled, secured facility equipped with a 24/7 security guard. I also had been told over the phone that the unit was climate-controlled, and asked if there were different sizes of crates as we did not have a large household move. I was told there was only one standard size, and that I wouldn't be able to remove items after they were stored because the crate would be secured shut.
Our stuff was packed and moved by Aloha Family Moving and Storage from our previous residence on 8/24/13. I was told I couldn't be present when they unloaded my stuff into the storage unit due to liability reasons. I was told no one was allowed in the warehouse due to this reason.
Two weeks prior to our scheduled move with the military (move scheduled on 10/4/13) I met with a surveyor from ******* ******, a local company contracted by the military to move our stuff overseas. He met me in front of the Aloha Family Moving storage unit at 96-1185 Waihona St, Suite C-2. I called the office to let us in, as the surveyor need to see our stuff to estimate weight and approximate man hours. We were told we couldn't enter the storage unit, again because of liability reasons. I asked for a copy of my inventory from the 8/24/13 move which was provided and shared with the surveyor. We agreed with Aloha Family Moving that ******* ****** would come and get my stuff on 10/4/13.
On Friday, 10/4/13 when I arrived for the move I was told again that I couldn't enter the unit because of liability. At this point I was handed a new inventory that had been taken 2 days prior by an employee who "staged" my stuff for the move on the 4th. I was shocked, and stated that I was unaware that my stuff would be handled and moved again. The new inventory also had updated conditions for our household goods, as the previous inventory did not list any conditions at all. After expressing that I was upset, my friend and I were allowed into the unit to view items that were noted as damaged.
I was shocked at what I saw. There were no crates, the unit was hot and humid, and all of our items were stacked in the back of a warehouse garage, next to piles of stuff belonging to other people. When ******* ****** showed up, they said they had to unpack and repack everything per military guidelines. During this process, my friend and I were reconciling the first inventory (from the 8/24/13 move) and the second inventory (from a few days prior to 10/4/13 move- unsigned by me) and what the new moving company was seeing.
It was during this process that we discovered several damaged items that were carelessly shoved into boxes. And most alarming, we discovered several stolen items; a TV, a ceramic garden stool, a box of expensive electronics. All items documented on the first inventory, but not on the second. The owner was present during this time and promised to replace all items that were stolen. I was told to send a list of what was stolen and damaged via email to the owner. This email was sent on 10/7/13. I received a response on 10/8/13 from *****, the owner saying he took full responsibility for all items. In this email I also requested reimbursement for the month of storage as our items were not stored in the conditions as advertised and quoted over the phone. The unit was not kept from heat and humidity, and our stuff was never stored in a crate.

Since Writing her complaint to the BBB we have resolved this issue with Mrs.Ladwig

09/27/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: Personal property (a dresser and a driveway) were damaged during a recent move. I have not received a response to queries regarding compensation.
On 23 August Aloha Family Moving assisted in a personal goods move from **** ****** Place, Kailua HI to ****** ******** ST, APT ****, Kaneohe HI. Upon arrival at the Kailua residence, their moving truck scraped the driveway multiple times, resulting in two, half-inch deep cuts in the cement. This damage was noted by myself and the driver of the truck at the time of occurence. While moving a dresser into my home in Kaneohe, one of the movers alerted me that he had damaged the leg during the move. Both of the front legs had been damaged, and one of them had been completed snapped off. One of th employees called his manager and gave me the phone. He told me to wait until the following Monday and then call them back to file a claim report. When I received the claim report (Tuesday - four days after the damage was acknowledged), it noted that any attempt to repair damage that occured during a move would invalidate the claim. It also required a notary's stamp next to my signature verifying I did not cause the damage myself. I had not been told about these requirements when the damage occured; I did attempt makeshift repairs on the furniture to prevent the shattered wood from damaging my floor. I also did not believe a notary should be necessary since Aloha Family Moving employees admitted to causing all the damage. Upon receiving this, I attempted to contact Aloha Family Moving multiple times (two e-mails and two phone calls) over the next several weeks. None of my e-mails were returned and when I called, I was always told the owner (*****) would call me back but never did.

I was charged $427 on my credit card for the move.

Contact Name and Title: ***** ********* *****
Contact Phone: 808-********
Contact Email: ***********************.com

Mr. *******

I have read your complaint and although the movers did admit to the damage this claim process is must be done so the proper documentation can be stored with your file. Please when turning in your claim package, provide pictures of the damage from both the dresser and the driveway. We work with a 3rd party repair company that may be able to fix the damage to your dresser and I also need t access the damage of the driveway. I thank you for your cooperation and I look forward to closing your claim as swiftly as possible. Thank you.

06/27/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Non-delivery of products

Complaint: I contracted with Aloha Family Moving Company to move my household goods to ******, ********** on March 10, 2014. My wooden rocker is missing.
As stated above, I contracted with Aloha Family Moving Co. To move my household goods to ******, **********. I had them come to my home on March 10,2014. I had received an estimate by ***** a week before. The movers wrapped all my furniture. Including my wooden rocker and placed all what I wanted moved, including items in the garage.My oldest son, ****, was watching what was stored in the garage to be taken to their truck. We checked the whole house . it was explained to us that the whole amount would be taken from the truck and put in a bin at their facility. it would be shipped to *******, **********, and trucked to my home on or before April 10,2014. We received the shipment about 9: 00 pm, six hours late. Everything was squashed into a bin. We had to use ladders to get into it. We were unaware that the rocker was missing until several days later as boxes and furniture were stacked in the garage. I called Aloha Family Movers and asked about it. I have been told consistently that the rocker was not in their inventory and that my son had told the to put it in the garage. They lied. I watched the mover wrap the rocking chair in a blanket that I provided and also wrapped in paper and taken to the truck? I want my rocker or else replaced exactly like it or pay me for it. it is about 30 years old. It was my husband's favorite chair. He had died on December 21,2013. Now, I. Am crying, not only for him, but his rocker as well.

Mrs.*****,

as I have stated before, we did not move your rocker nor do we have any other boxes of yours. On the day of your move we were told to leave several items back at your residence. You were having a friend come by and take them to the dump. This was witnessed by all of them on the crew and of those men state that we did not move your rocker. I have never lied to you as ive spoke with you several times and reiterated the same things. I am sorry your rocker is not with you however we are not responsible for items we have never moved. I respectfully request that you withdraw your complaint based on this fact.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
The rocker was put into your truck. I saw it put on the truck with my own eyes. It was not put into the garage. My cousin did not take it. My son was in the garage. The only item left was a futon bed. As I have told you people repeatedly, we don't have it or the boxes that are missing. The container was so jam packed; I am not surprised these items were left behind. I am not lying. Why should I ? The rocker was wrapped in a blanket and paper. I watched your worker do it and I watch him put it in your truck. Where is it???? We do not have it. You can go to all our sons homes and to all our family homes. You can come here to my home. As I told you what happened to it; it cannot walk off by itself. I feel that you were responsible for all my things that were put into your truck. You can call my son. He does not lie. My husband had one rule in our house; no lying. He punished them if they did. That rocker was his favorite. I think and know someone took it. Who??? So, I will not accept you or your workers responses. I am still missing it and some boxes. Incidentally, we had things damaged by your poor packing. Am I asking you to pay for it? Not yet. You have caused me added grief and sadness.

Per All of my men on this job they were instructed to take one of the rocking chairs and leave the other behind. Which is exactly what we did. The one rocking chair that was picked up is exactly the same one that was delivered. There wasn't another rocking chair on the inventory. I have sent inventories and the estimate cube sheet to ************* @ ************************

I do not accept their responses at all . The rocking chair and the rest of all my household goods were placed in their truck. As I have repeatedly said, I was in the house and garage along with my son, **** and my cousin, ******* *****. I watched the worker wrap the rocker with my own eyes and it was placed in their truck. I did not see any papers from them or given any. Someone is sure lying and it isn't me. I paid for all my things to be shipped, not some of it. yes, I got only one rocker, not two, and I refuse to change my information because what I am disclosing is true. The wooden rocker was not left behind, as he is saying. I am sick and tired of their false statements. I want all of my things. By the way, where is our portable generator and the rest of my boxes???? No way will I cancel or withdraw my complaints!!!! Whatever your inventories are, they do not match mine. My son and my cousin did not tell your workers to leave anything behind. So You can tell Mr. ******** all what you have told me all along. I want all of my things. I know you have it or did you give the rest of my things away?? I do not appreciate what you have done to me. I Am Not LYiING!! I want to see all of your paper work which you have not given me. II want my rocker and the rest of my things. You have not fulfilled your contract to me at all. You have lied to me since. I called you in April. And don't think that I will change my responses to you!! Why did you tell me on the phone that my son told your workers to leave it in the garage?? I was in the garage and in the house to make sure what I wanted shipped to me in ******. Now you are saying your workers never saw it. What a bunch of bull!! Why don't you tell the truth for once, instead of feeding me with all these false statements?? Are you willing to pay me for all the damages you caused me?. I bet not. You can be assured that I will never recommend any future moves from me, not until I get all of my things; and I MEAN ALL OF THEM!!!

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that while the company addressed the complaint issues, the complainant was dissatisfied and the matter was outside BBB Rules of Arbitration.

05/20/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: Claim denied for couch damaged in stairwell by movers. Office mgr says they do not know whereabouts of damaged couch.
Monday, March 17, 2014. Move from ****** ******* Street #***, *******, HI to ************** Street #***, *******, HI. Approximate cost: $1200+ plus tip. Job ID *****. Sales Rep: **** **** arranged move date/time and accepted $50 deposit to make reservation. Move paid in cash to ***** ******. Leather couch (packed/padded by movers) was attempted to be brought upstairs to 5th floor; 100" length did not fit in elevator. Movers attempted to bring couch up the stairwell but could not properly navigate the first turn thereby causing damage to the leather couch. ***** ******, head mover, took pictures of the damaged couch in front of the building with his phone; ***** ****** even borrowed a dollar bill from me to use in the photo showing the actual size relationship of the damaged leather. A formal complaint accompanied by receipts was submitted to **** ****. Immediately thereafter, I left town on a lengthy trip, returning May 3rd. Upon my return, I received no email, postal mail or telephone call. Therefore I called Aloha Family Moving to inquire of the status of the claim. Since no information was readily available, **** **** called me back in a few minutes to inform me that the claim for damage to my couch was denied back in April, 2014. The reason given was that the damaged couch could not be found to exist by himself or any of the movers and therefore, I must have gotten rid of it myself. In fact, **** **** remembers me telling him when I handed him the completed claims package that I said to him that I told the movers to get rid of the couch! And, that he has witnesses that can corroborate his story. Again, I'm being told that I therefore breached the claim submitting instructions by not having the damaged couch available evidence. Someone is outright lying as to the whereabouts of the couch! I have heard no more from anyone at the company.

As stated by Mr. ********** while moving his furniture at the destination, the couch was too large and therefore would not fit in the elevator. It was then attempted to be brought up the stairs, however, due to the narrow nature of the stairs as well as items sticking off the walls it was too narrow for the couch to make the turns without damaging the property. once the couch was put safely on the ground again and pictures of any damages were taken, Mr. ********** was asked what he wanted us to do with the couch. the option of taking it back to the old apartment, friends location, or storage. Mr. ********** very specifically told the movers to put the couch on their truck and take it with them. The lead on the job has quoted that he and the other man informed Mr. ********** that he would have to arrange storage for them to do so. Also that if he does not they cannot leave the item on the truck or at the warehouse. Mr. ********** told them to "just put it back on their truck and take it since it wouldn't fit into his new apartment." Company procedure for if a customer leaves items with the movers, is to dispose of the items, and we made it very clear that is what will happen. Mr. ********** later filed a damage claim, I sent him the report and took the report when he personally returned it. Once it was reviewed and statements were taken by all involved including myself and the movers, it was decided that the claim was denied due to the fact that number one on the claim package cover sheet states very clearly in bold and underlined, "do not throw away any of the items for which you are submitting a claim." Mr. ********** agreed when he dropped off the claim package that he told the movers to take the couch therefore nullifying the claim.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
Aloha Moving Company has concocted an outright false account of what transpired after the couch was damaged by the movers. The movers were never told to get rid of the couch, nor was I ever informed that the couch could not/would not be taken back to Aloha Moving Company's warehouse. It escapes my rational thinking that I would have a place to store a damaged couch after a move to an apartment building ... leave it sitting in the street in front of the building? The movers never informed me that they were going to dispose of the damaged couch. They were asked to simply not leave it in front of the apartment building which was the only viable option until the matter could be settled. This entire scene was witnessed as well by the Resident Manager of the apartment building that afternoon. I should have known that the concerned comments by the movers after the damaging of the professionally wrapped for transporting couch was not a true display of concern to me the customer. This also is obviously the description of the Office Manager atAloha Moving Company who more than readily gladly accepted all monies involved for the scheduled move. It appears to be a situation more likely of take one's money and run without a care of customer concern/satisfaction. Aloha Moving Company has jilted me in the handling of this matter and I hope others will think twice before soliciting their services. If you want professionalism, look elsewhere. Saving a few dollars is not worth the complete loss of integrity found with Aloha Moving Company.

08/04/2014Advertising / Sales Issues

Moving & Storage Company, Packing & Crating Service, Moving Assistance - Packing, Unpacking, Organizing, Movers