In San Francisco Bay Area and Northern Coastal California

BBB Accredited Business since 12/09/2011

O'Reilly Media, Inc. (Headquarters)

2 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

07/30/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Sales Complaint Issue

Complaint: They have charged me twice for items that I did not order. They had my name and Credit Card Number but refused to tell me where the items were sent.
When I called to question them about this they said it looks like these were not legitimate purchases yet they charged my card each time. They said that this was the work of criminals and they told me to call my bank. I have since cancelled this credit card due to this problem. This last purchase occurred on June 18. I do not understand why they would not tell where these items were shipped. I feel that they have very poor security measures on orders. They need to have a poor rating for the manner in which they conduct online business.

We are sorry for the confusion around the issue. In searching our files we are not finding any orders directly related to *****account in June of this year. If *****did not make a purchase with our company (and it does appear that is the case, our last order from him was in 2012) then we would suggest he contact his credit card company and report fraudulent activity on his compromised credit card.

We encrypt credit card information in our order system which makes it difficult for us to search orders using a credit card number if it's not associated to his account. If we are able to find the shipping information, we try and protect our customers by not releasing this information. We can provide it to the credit card companies as well as the police if requested. We take the security of our customers seriously and do whatever we can to protect them.

Again, we are sorry for any confusion and frustration related to the issue and we would be happy to work with *****credit card company to resolve the issue. Please feel free to forward my contact information to *****if he would like to communicate more on this matter.

Best Regards,
*****
Media Customer Service Manager

09/05/2013Problems with Product / Service

Publishers - Book, Online Social Media/Networking, Social Networking, Web Conferencing, Videoconferencing Services, Teleconference Service, Computers - Training, Publishing Consultants