In San Francisco Bay Area and Northern Coastal California

43 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 16 closed in last 12 months

04/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Defective, damaged, or incorrect product received

Complaint: Incomplete Product with Terrible Customer Service
I purchased two history books from Coursesmart at the beginning of the school quarter. I recently found out, upon doing my homework, that one book was missing three chapters, the other two. When I contacted Coursesmart, they said that there was nothing they could do, I could either purchase the next volume, or contact the publisher who would give me the additional copies. And it was too late to receive a refund. If I had purchased the books elsewhere, I would have received all of the chapters, but Coursesmart did not think that this was a problem. When I contacted the publisher, they said that they had no affiliation with them whatsoever, and that they would not give me the extra chapters. Coursesmart sold me a defective product, with customer service that lied to me. This company is a scam.

***** is definitely correct in this case. I reviewed her service case and our agent did not provide the correct solution. Typically, when publishers do not provide complete information, CourseSmart contacts the publisher on the student's behalf to obtain the missing content. It appears the book the student purchased (Volume 1) does not contain a few chapters that her instructor stated would be included. We checked with the publisher and those chapters are in the Volume 2 version. We have placed the Volume 2 book on the student's bookshelf at no additional cost.

In addition, due to the inconvenience, we have included a free book coupon that can be used at any time on any book. The coupon expires 12/31/2014. The coupon should be entered into the promotion and coupon code field during check out.

COUPON - *******

If ***** has any issues using this coupon she can come directly to me at **********@coursesmart.com.

03/26/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to provide promised assistance or support for products or services

Complaint: this company does not provide the promised service. I have complained and have had no response; via email and phone.
this company sells ebooks. i have experienced connectivity issues repeatedly preventing me from accessing my ebooks. the company's servers are constantly busy and do not allow access to products. I have experienced issues at all times/days, during exams, etc. It has impacted my performance costing me over $3500. the company sells ebooks but we can never access them. at this point, I want a full refund because the experience has been miserable

We completely agree with this student. We did send out an email communication from our CEO letting students directly impacted by this outage that we will be issuing them full refunds for all active rentals. This email was sent to any student who contacted us during the outage via our support team, FaceBook or Twitter. We are not seeing record of this user contacting us so that is why he did not receive this email communication. I have pasted the email communication below from our CEO, **** ******.

We definitely want to honor this student's request for a refund. This student purchased their book through one of our partners and did not purchase directly from CourseSmart. In order to issue a refund, we will need ****** mailing address so we can cut him a check. We did want to note that we would like to provide **** with a refund right away with continued use of
his textbook.

Dear Student:

On Wednesday, February 26, Coursesmart.com experienced a service outage from 3:40 PM PST - 8:10 PM PST. Service was restored to 100% availability by 8:10 PM PST. We apologize for this inconvenience, and want to assure you that CourseSmart.com remains fully operational and stable.

We know this outage was especially stressful to you as it occurred during midterms, so we would like to offer you a full refund of your CourseSmart textbook. You can expect a refund to be issued to you within 30 days. Depending on how you purchased your eTextbook, you will either receive the refund directly to your credit card account, or you can expect to hear from us requesting a mailing address for a check.

Customer satisfaction is important to us, and we sincerely regret this disruption. Please be assured that we continue to work every day to solidify one of the core tenants of our promise to you: that you can reliably depend upon the structural and technical integrity of the CourseSmart platform.

***********************

In our response to ****** BBB case dated March 6, we stated the below. It clearly states that we need his mailing address which we still have not received. We will gladly issue **** a check as soon as we have received the mailing address.

CourseSmart Response dated 3/6

We completely agree with this student. We did send out an
email communication from our CEO letting students directly
impacted by this outage that we will be issuing them full
refunds for all active rentals. This email was sent to any
student who contacted us during the outage via our support
team, FaceBook or Twitter. We are not seeing record of this
user contacting us so that is why he did not receive this email
communication. I have pasted the email communication
below from our CEO, **** ******.
We definitely want to honor this student's request for a refund.
This student purchased their book through one of our partners
and did not purchase directly from CourseSmart. In order to
issue a refund, we will need ****** mailing address so we can
cut him a check. We did want to note that we would like to
provide **** with a refund right away with continued use of
his textbook.

03/26/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: False or unsubstantiated claims in advertisement

Complaint: The CourseSmart website misrepresents their service and makes false claims.
The CourseSmart site specifically says, "You can read your eTextbook offline without an internet connection within your computer's browser if you have Safari 5.1+, Chrome or Firefox v.19." However, I have been unable to use Safari or Chrome browsers meeting these requirements. When I contacted a customer service representative through the live chat service I was informed that these were known issues. Yet the company has continued to advertise the opposite for months.

Chat quotations:
Customer Service Rep: Offline reading is currently not supported when using Safari 7 on Mac OS 10.9 (also called ''Mavericks'' OS). This is due to certain changes that were made in the new operating system. We are working with Apple to find a resolution.

I do agree with ***********'s complaint. I reviewed the customer support case that *********** filed and it appears our agent did provide correct information that was provided to support from our development team. I requested that the development team update the information on the website that *********** provided.

The team agrees and will be updating the site by end of next week. They also indicated that they continue to work with the Apple team so our offline feature will be compatible with Safari 7 and Mavericks.

We would like to extend *********** a coupon for 20% off his entire next purchase hoping he will give CourseSmart another chance.

Coupon code - *******
(enter this code in the promotion code field during check out).

I accept the company's response and appreciate that they acknowledged the misstatements. I look forward to the website including a comment on the current incompatibility of OS X 10.9.2 and Safari 7.

I believe the company would be prudent to conduct a cost-benefit analysis on the deployment of a compatibility check function on the website. Future customers should be able to see a note or popup that informs them their browser and operating system is/is not compatible.

I will continue to be a CourseSmart customer. And I am now a much more satisfied one.

03/25/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Product Quality Complaint Issue

Complaint: Service Down While I was in the middle of studying. My professor probably isn't going to care that my ebook website was down for hours!
Coursesmart is an ebook website that offers online textbooks. Tonight, in the middle of my studying for a test due by midnight, the website went down for 3+ hours and still down. This is unacceptable! Myself and many thousand other students can now accomplish no schoolwork because of this failure.

We definitely want to honor this student's request for a refund. However, this student accesses the books via one of our institution partners, Corinthian Colleges site which means Corinthian purchases the books on behalf of Corinthian. So unfortunately, we can not provide this student with a refund because Corinthian purchased the book.

As an fyi, I have included an email that our CEO, **** Devine, distributed to any student of an institution integration that contacted our support team during this disruption.

We extend our heartfelt apologies to *****.

Dear Student:

We know this outage was especially stressful to you as it occurred during midterms. Please be assured that we continue to work every day to solidify one of the core tenants of our promise to you: that you can reliably depend upon the structural and technical integrity of the CourseSmart platform.

03/25/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor service estimate or agreement

Complaint: I am required my e-book and I have my midterm. I am unable to access the book I I have PAYED for and promised #1 service. I want a refund.
I am required my e-book and I have my midterm. I am unable to access the book I I have PAYED for and promised #1 service. I want a refund. With out a refund not only am I losing money (on a service whose only requirement is to stay online) because the service I purchased did not satisfy their agreement, but also to have to pay triple to afford another course to make up for this midterm. I am truly unhappy and this will affect me greatly.

We definitely want to honor this student's request for a refund. This student purchased their book through one of our partners and did not purchase directly from CourseSmart. In order to issus a refund, we will need ****'s mailing address so we can cut him a check. We did want to note that we would like to provide **** with a refund right away with continued use of his textbook.

12/11/2012Problems with Product / Service