BBB Accredited Business since 04/27/2010

HomeGuard, Incorporated

BBB serving San Jose, CA maintains a report on this company's headquarters location. Please visit http://sanjose.bbb.org for details or call (408) 278-7400.

6 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

11/14/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

False home inspection that did not detect couple of main problem before buying a house.

The inspection report dated sep 12. The paper work was done and we moved into the house Oct11. in less than two weeks the following problem was detected:
1- water leak from the hallway bathroom (when the shower is used) into the living area downstairs
2- Over stove Microwave was unplugged and when it is plugged to electricity it gives error.
3- Dishwasher doesnot operate properly
based on the inspection and recommendation we bought the house, should we know that these problems are exist , we would not buy it.
The inspection was done as a part of the escrow process at the following location
*** ******* Ct, Danville, Ca *****
these problems specially the leakage could affect the integrity of the structure

1- we need an apology from the homeguard that they did miss these items in the inspection which cost us time and money
2- We need fix of these items on HomeGuard expense.
3- Warranty for any discovered miss inspected item for the next 6 month

We performed a home and termite inspection on this property on 9/12/13. During the course of the original inspection the microwave was unplugged for some reason. The inspector plugged the microwave in tested it and it was working and he then unplugged it to leave the property in the same condition that it was found. We returned to the property at the request of the owner and found that there was error code on the display of the microwave and he could not get it to operate. If this was not working at the time of the original inspection the seller of the property would be required to disclose that fact. The leak from the upstairs bathroom was from the kids over flowing the tub and there has never been any comments about the dishwasher not working and i have spoken to him several times in regard to this and other things including this morning. These are not things that we are responsable for and they have purchased a home warranty forjust this reason, incase things break or quit working after the close of escrow.

08/23/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The contractor cut out a piece of my old flooring containing asbestos. He did not seal the area while working, clean or inform us. Left it exposed.
Termite repair was needed under the laundry area. The repairman claimed he could not access the area from below, so required that the laundryroom floor be removed to allow him to complete the repair. He cut the flooring (which included multiple layers)and cut out the subfloor planks. As with most homes of this era (1947), part of the flooring contained asbestos. He reportedly wet down the area while cutting, but left the remaining floor adjacent to the repair damaged with the layer of asbestos flooring materials exposed to anyone who might walk on it. Disturbing the flooring creates the potential that asbestos fibers would be dispersed. No attempt was made by Homeguard to contain, encapsulate, or clean up the area as is required when dealing with asbestos. No information was passed along to inform me on the danger that had been created.

At this point, I would like for them to cover the cost of having the area cleaned by the abatement company in order to make it safe for my family to use the room.

I have left a message for the owner to give me a call to get more information. Have not heard back yet.

10/03/2014Problems with Product / Service
05/13/2013Problems with Product / Service
02/26/2013Problems with Product / Service
09/22/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

The inspection I ordered was not done properly and the company has opted out to help so far.
I purchased a home inspection from this company, and they did not do what their sevices said they would. ! month after I received my keys to my first home for my wife and daughter they were both sick and we could smell mold or urine smells from the A/c unit. I contacted the company and they have yet to help or at least give me my money back for the botched home inspection. I am a 25 year old disabled veteran who finally worked out is credit and saved enough to buy my family a home and now I have a house that we hate and would never have bought if Homegaurd would have just did the job I paid them for. I want residents of the central ****** of ** to know about this issue so no other struggling families have to worry about foreclosing on their new home 2 months after receiving the keys, due to replacing a 11,000$ a/c unit. I have had 3 Contractor's come to my house witch I paid for and they all agreed the whole system is not to code and faulty.

I am hoping to have them either replace my A/C unit fully, or at least have them replace my 350$ I paid them as well as the cost of the contractors and materials I bought to temporarily patch the system so my Family didn't faint from the 100 degree California heat.

We are scheduled to go out on 7/29/14 at 3pm to see what their concerns are.

My AC system is so bandaged together it is barely salvageable. My wife is yelling at me everyday because our house is 90degrees. To be honest I am so worried about my financial issues die to the countless dollars I put into trying get it running correct. The problem my wife and I have is we would have never ever ever bought this house our "dream house" that I saved forever for if we knew what lied in the ac system. So I hired a inspector to ensure nothing big like the AC would be in bad shape, because I cannot afford it. For me to have to say I would have not bought my house if homeguard would have done what I paid them for is sad. This is the type of thing that creates foreclosure and mistrust inside the contracting world. I had to go lowes to buy 300$ portable AC units just to be able to sleep at night

We have gone back out to the property and have met with Mr.****. The original concerns (rodent activity)that he had were not something that would have been able to be seen with out removing the cover off of the air return. This not something that is done during the course of a home inspection. A home inspection is a visible noninvasive inspection. Our report does address the disconnected ducts in the attic and also that the plenum is improperly sealed. Unfortunately they chose not to have these items corrected during escrow. I have tried to contact Mr. **** on the phone and have only been able to leave a voice mail message. I would be more then happy to reimburse them for the inspection fee $305.00 to help them off set some of their costs but this is not something that we are responsible for and would only be done as a matter of customer relations and in no way would be a admission of fault. We gave them the information that was evident at the time of the inspection.

To be completely honest the man who I called on the phone "******" had nothing but excuses of how and why there was 20lbs of rat **** in my house and said I should have fixed it before escrow closed. The only thing I have to say is ****** do you think I would have not clean the rat feces before my 3 year old moved in to my house. To address the section of this about the inspection not required for taking off a return vent, BS I stood there and watched him shine his light in the same place I pulled the soaking wet piles of poison that Homeguard only makes excuses for themselves, so they can keep getting away with false advertising and lying to Thier customers saying it wasn't cover in my inspection. The definition of inspection is to critique or examine something carefully and thoroughly and homeguard did this great in some aspects but we all need to admit when we messed up not put it on the little guy. I guess after 4 years of military service one war this is the American way to buy a home and I just didn't know it!!!

Home Inspection Service, Pest Control Services