In San Francisco Bay Area and Northern Coastal California

IXL Learning

09/04/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper collection practices

Complaint: I signed up for the service for one month and IXL continued to charge my credit card monthly. I did not use the service after the month.
It was not clear that I was signing up to pay for more than a month. If it had been made clear, I would not have signed up. I signed up in February 2013 and have been billed monthly until I noticed it on my Visa today. I have not used the service since February.

July 16, 2013

Better Business Bureau, Inc
***********************
*****************

Re: Case #************************

Dear Dispute Resolution Department,

I have received your letter in regards to ***************** complaint stating that IXL continued to charge her credit card on a monthly basis even though she did not use the service after one month of membership.

In response to her complaint, I have included in this letter, the customer's subscription records, IXL's membership order page (found here: **********************************************), IXL's Contact Us page where the customer can call us to cancel her membership (found here: *************************), and IXL's Terms of Service page (found here: ********************************) where it provides the customer with information on billing, membership, and cancellation, and the customer's usage log.

The customer subscribed to our monthly service by signing up through our website at ********************************************** on February 25, 2013. When the customer presses ''Renew'', IXL will charge her credit card for the cost of the membership. By pressing Renew, the customer also acknowledges that she has read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Under #4a, 4b, and 4d of the Terms of Service, it states the customer's membership is ongoing and IXL will continue to charge her credit card until she calls us to cancel the membership or cancel the membership on her account. Based on her usage log, she did not use our service after March 25, 2013. Therefore, IXL can refund $9.95 for March 25, 2013 through June 25, 2013.

We have refunded the customer on July 16, 2013 for March, April, May, and June as shown on the Customer Internal Record. Please kindly close Case #************************.

Should you have any questions or need more information for this transaction, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,