This business is not BBB accredited.Find a Location
Phone: (866) 292-2713 Fax: (866) 292-2713 2300 Harrison St, San Francisco, CA 94110
BBB Business Reviews may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes.
Lyft is a transportation networking company that provides a mobile application as an online enabled platform connecting passengers with drivers using personal vehicles.
This business is not BBB accredited.
Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.
To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.
Reason for Rating
BBB rating is based on 13 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.
Factors that raised the rating for Lyft, Inc. include:
- Length of time business has been operating
- Complaint volume filed with BBB for business of this size
- Response to 351 complaint(s) filed against business
- Resolution of complaint(s) filed against business
Customer Complaints Summary Read complaint details
|Complaint Type||Total Closed Complaints|
|Problems with Product/Service||134|
|Total Closed Complaints||351|
Additional Complaint Information
Lyft came to BBB’s attention in August 2011. A review of the company was done in June 2016. The complaints on file with BBB range from accounts being frozen or disabled, accounts being overcharged, consumers being charged for rides not provided, promised refunds not provided, consumers not being able to reach customer service, destination charges being added after a consumer is dropped off, promotions not being honored, damage done to drivers cars, drivers being deactivated for a bad review but no bad review found, consumers not being able to cancel accounts, and drivers being charged for tolls not crossed.
A letter was sent to Lyft requesting they address the above issues as well as explain why they would disable a consumers account, explain why riders are charged more than expected, explain how locations are being changed after the rider has been dropped off, explain why promotion cards given by the drivers are not honored, explain how drivers are charged for toll if they do not drive across toll bridges and to explain how consumers can cancel their ride.
Lyft responded with the following:
Lyft may disable a user’s account per their request. Lyft also reserves the right to disable a user’s account for violations of our Terms of Service. Violations of our terms of service may include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in restricted activities. (See section 7. In our terms of service, www.lyft.com/terms)
- Failed payments (See section 3. In our Terms of Service, www.lyft.com/terms)
- The best way for consumers to get in contact with us is through the Contact Request Form in our Help Center. Information required is the user’s email address and phone number, the request subject, and additional details about the request. There is also an option to attach files if necessary.
- For safety related incidents, we ask that users call the authorities by dialing 911 or their local non-emergency assistance line if necessary, and then, reporting it to us directly at (855)865-9553 so that our Trust & Safety team can follow up.
- Lyft ride prices are calculated by mile, minute, a base charge, Trust and Service Fee, and Prime Time (if applicable). You can read more about ride cost calculations here: https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/214212387
- Passengers are notified when Prime Time pricing is in effect before requesting a ride. They are shown a Prime Time notification in the center of the Lyft app’s initial request screen, and a pop-up notification with the added percentage before they confirm the ride request.
- Prime Time pricing will never be charged to a passenger without first receiving the explicit consent of the passenger. This comes in the form of an additional interstitial screen in which users must confirm their consent before they can request a vehicle. You can read more about Prime Time pricing and why we do it here: https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/213818898-Prime-Time-for-Passengers
Locations cannot change after a passenger has been dropped off and the ride has been ended. Once a driver has ‘tapped to drop off’ in the app, the ride is over and the passenger will need to request a new ride if they wish to go different destination.
Many drivers print referral cards with their code and hand them out.
- To receive referral and bonus credits, invitees must be new to Lyft and must enter the referral code before taking their first ride.
- Referral and bonus credits are valid for 14 days.
- Credits are only valid for use on the Lyft platform and are not transferable or redeemable for cash.
- Participation in this promotion is subject to Lyft’s Terms of Service.
- Each new passenger can only have one referral on their account.
A driver is never charged a toll fee by Lyft. Lyft features an automated toll system. Anytime a driver passes through a toll - this includes bridges, turnpikes and tunnels - the cost is automatically factored into the passenger's payment amount. A driver may incur toll fees by driving a passenger to their destination and Lyft charges the passenger to account for the charges the driver will incur.
Users wishing to disable their account can write into Support through our help center: www.lyft.com/help
Once the account has been disabled, the user can also remove the Lyft app from Facebook if they originally signed up with Facebook login. If the user is uncertain about how to remove apps from Facebook, please check out facebook.com/help/204306713029340 for more information.
If a passenger no longer needs a ride, they may cancel it through the app. In certain cases, a cancellation fee will be applied in order to compensate the driver for time and gas spent. To cancel a ride, tap the "Cancel Ride" button in the bottom left corner of the app, and then confirm you want to cancel. The attached screenshots demonstrate this process.
Customer Reviews Summary Read customer reviews
|Customer Experience||Total Customer Reviews|
|Total Customer Reviews||19|
Type of Entity
Business ManagementMr. Logan Green, CEO John Zimmer, President
Number of Employees
Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Summary
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Overview