BBB Accredited Business since 01/01/1981

Wells Fargo (Headquarters)

4605 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1233 closed in last 12 months
Other1

06/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Applying Secured Credit Card Collateral to Closed Acct Balance.
On Sat., 06-07-2014, I called Wells Fargo Bank - (card servicing) to close my Secured VISA Credit Card:
- Upon inquiring as to when the collateral funds, securing the card, would be applied to my outstanding balance, I was advised it "should occur" by the next statement cycle ending date of 07-02-2014. However, until the balance was satisfied, I would still incur interest.
- Upon conclusion of the call, I went on-line to verify the account closure. Acct info stated acct was "closed" - (as requested) with a $25 min payment due on the 27th of June. Moreover, a statement that read "....even though acct is closed, you may still make payments on this account to resolve the balance"
- With consideration of the $700 Wells Fargo is 'holding' as collateral & considering my outstanding balance was / is approx. $552, I called back on XX-XX-XX at 1:52PM, to address the need to have my collateral satisfy my outstanding balance on / or before the next statement cut off date - thereby, offsetting the need for me to pay out additional payments, I would use my money in the collateral account to satisfy the outstanding balance.
- In the aforementioned call, I spoke with a ***** - (emp. ******* In addition to his demeaning behavior - (chuckled & condescending), he failed to provide me an street address where a USPS certified / return receipt letter could be sent to request payment from the collateral acct to my outstanding balance - (***** did not resolve my issue).
- With my requests not being resolved, I emailed Wells Fargo Bank -via- their web site link requesting my outstanding balance, on the now 'closed acct', be paid from the proceeds of the collateral acct. I received an email reply stating my request was being forwarded to Wells Fargo Executive Credit Card Dep't.
- On Monday, 06-09-2014, a Wells Fargo employee called me at 9:20am to address the email I sent the previous Sat. The employee, **** *** advised that any payment back to my acct and / or myself would take 45-60 days.
- I advised this rep that I respect & understand the banks policy to refund back to me any difference between the collateral balance -vs- what's owed - yet, per the terms & disclosure's outlined in Wells Fargo secured credit card agreement, it states "if the account is closed for any reason, the collateral may be applied to any outstanding balance"
- The terms of Wells Fargo do NOT state / provide a 45 - 60 day time line as **** *** kept repeating. As addressed, the application of the collateral balance - NOT REFUND / OVER PAYMENT - is ambiguous and again, does NOT provide a time line. Therefore, considering Wells Fargo is in possession of my secured funds, my request to apply the PORTION of my $700 secured to my outstanding balance, on / or before my next cycle date of 07-02-14, is reasonable based off the terms as outlined in the credit card agreement.
- It's very IMPORTANT to note. I understand where the terms of the agreement stipulate the return of any over payment back to me - (agreement states 60 days). I'm NOT disputing that SEPARATE issue.
- My grave concern is the failure of Wells Fargo to abide by my verbal & written request(s) to apply the portion of my secured funds to my outstanding balance on / or before the next statement date of 07-02-14.
- I have worked tirelessly to build mt credit. Wells Fargo's failure to pay off my outstanding balance from my collateral acct will result in a negative impact on my credit scores - (i.e. - closed with a balance & percentage of credit usage, etc.)
- Over the course of 2+ years, I have never missed a payment to Wells Fargo & "overall" have maintained the acct in excellent condition.
- I will pay the $25 min due on June 27, 14 and request Wells Fargo to abide by their UN-STIPULATED terms - and, thereby credit MY collateral funds to the outstanding balance on my CLOSED secured credit card ON / or BEFORE the next statement cycle date of 07-02-14.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:
Case is being handled by another organization: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Apply, ON / OR BEFORE the next statement closing date of 07-02-14, the portion of the $700 in the secured credit card collateral account to the approx outstanding balance of $552 on the VISA credit card.

06/09/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Bank offered to provide 100 dollars to open new checking account and has not provided offer even though requirements were met.
Bank offered to provide 100 dollars to account with opening of new customer checking account which I did. I complied with the requirements of direct deposit,50 dollar starting deposit, over 500 direct deposited every month, over 10 debit card transactions, I've waited 45 days from date of both opening account and completion of requirements and still offer has not been given to me despite completion and multiple contacts to bank to notify they have not kept their end of agreement.

I would like to be provided with the offer as advertised immediately without resorting to local/civil litigation. Simple satisfactory customer service to comply with what was advertised is all I want and or need currently. Other options will be proceeded to if bank fails to comply with advertised service.

Please see attached response.

I will accept contact by this Wells Fargo employee. As to the decision that I will make after that contact is made and completed, that will depend if the actual issue is addressed or not by this employee Wells Fargo has assigned to try and resolve my issue.

06/06/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

WFF continues to report an account captioned ***************** without proper validation.

This account reports with inconsistent information (amounts/dates) across the 3 CRA's.

I have asked for validation on several occasions with no response.

Provide FCRA compliant validation for the account or delete the reporting to all 3 CRA's.

I will file complaints with state agencies if not resolved promptly.

Please see attached response. Thank you.

Please provide a "Date of First Delinquency" as defined under the FCRA.

Thanks for your response.

*******

06/02/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Unethical Overdraft charges on items already debited from account when funds were available and refusal to waive fees.
On or about may 8th My fiancé attempted to pay bills, and thru a miss calculation she submitted a payment that was more than was available in our account. Therefore resulting in an overcharge that we do not dispute. The issue we are having is because of this one transaction that was made after all other transactions were presented, approved, and debited from our account wells fargo decided to charge us for three additional overdrafts. This is total of four overdraft fees totaling $121. This is not ethical in the least and after speaking with several agents and their immediate supervisors no one was willing to help with this situation. When asked if I can speak to a higher supervisor one first level supervisor was very nasty and said that I could not speak with them and that they could not help me, because they were no longer in the office besides they have the same abilities. In any business supervisors and managers are there to handle situation that normal employees can not or authorized to. At this point I was furious of the attitude I received from this supervisor and the lack of professionalism they demonstrated. I hung up the phone and immediately called back to speak to another supervisor explained my situation and they were a bit more understanding and helpful as much as they could to my understanding. When asked if I could speak with their superior they had no problem with furthering my call, unfortunately they were not available so I was force to leave a message. To no avail 20 days later I have still not received a call back. All in all I feel like this bank is trying to get over on us and probably many other customers as well by getting money when they can or see fit. I have no dispute with the first charge because it was in fact a mistake on our end, but as for the other charges they are just outrages especially if the funds were there and debited from the account prior to this happening. The excuse the bank is using is that yes indeed the funds were available and debited from the account but they were not posted to the account and that the item that was made after these other items presented to the account which caused the overdraft posted before them. So here's the confusing part. They said that since the funds were already promised to the merchants that were already debited from my account the item that caused the overdraft could not be paid and has been assessed a fee for nsf. Ok I got it no problem but the kicker is now that this has happened, the items already paid have now produced a fee because they were posted to the account after the account went negative. How can that be if the funds were there and available to make payment in the first place and the money was already taken out of the account for payment before the infraction even took place.

All I want from this settlement is for three additional $35 fees to be reversed. I have no issues with the initial $35 dollars because I acknowledge the mistake.

05/22/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

I noticed a fee was added in error to my balance and there was no customer courtesy with getting the fee taken off. There are now 3 because of the one
I made a purchase with my wells fargo debit card to get dinner one day (from a mcdonalds location). I noticed immediately after i swiped the card that i shouldnt have used my card. I pulled up the app and wells fargo moved funds over from my savings because i have their awesome "overdraft protection service". If i had not had this service I would have went and immediately added the money in my account at the bank to cover this transaction, resulting in No Fee period. Later that day or the next day I noticed that I was charged a fee for $12 for the money being transferred. This made my checking account balance around -$8. Once i noticed this in my account I went and deposited $25, leaving around $17. I made two purchases since then... leaving the account with a couple dollars remaining. The transactions posted on my account activity and lowered the balance immediately. I was charged an overdraft item fee about 3 days after, showing it was because of the first mcdonalds purchase, which never caused a negative balance on the account. The $12 fee they charged is what caused the negative balance. I called in to Wells Fargo customer care and was not receiving help for any of it. I called twice that night and even spoke with a supervisor. I did not say anything mean to them. I Just told them I did not see paying that when it was a bank error and they already charged the fee for the transfer, which was to "protect me" from having a $35 overdraft fee. I looked at my balance today and there are now two more fees showing for the two purchases made after the deposits. There WERE funds in my account when I made those purchases. I checked to make sure they went through afterwards and they did. They were just pending. It did take away from the balance though. I called in to see why those were charged and I was told my account balance was negative at the time. It was not. I already paid money toward the account ($25) because of the transfer fee. The supervisor I spoke with said he knew where I was coming from and he said I sounded like I knew what I was saying and talking about, but he said he could not see waiving the fees on the account. Not that he "couldn't" but that he was not going to be able to.. My balance now sits at a negative balance of $103 because of the fees they billed to me in error. I need someone to help me with getting this fixed if possible. I offered to pay the one fee of $35 even though I did not deserve to have to pay it. They would not do anything about the other two as well and it is ridiculous that no one could help me.

I want the fees waived and my account cancelled, both savings and checking.

********

I do accept the response, however I do know that it was the 12 dollar fee that caused the negative balance. That was not mentioned at all in the response. The account did remain with a balance when those other purchases were made because of the deposit I mede. Thank you for taking care of the matter though.

04/21/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I had a wells fargo credit card. I have never been late on my account. was told i had a past due amount of $420.00. Days later was told I only had a past due amount of $170.00. Every time I go in or call I get a different answer ,or balance. The confusion that Wells fargo has caused me, has hindered my ablity to becoming a home owner. They were allowing a diet company that Ive never heard of to take money out of my account.My money has come up missing 4-6 times without explanation. This is by far the most unprofessional experience I've ever encountered with a business. I hate 30 day lates all over my credit for something I did not cause.

Remove inaccurate lates thats showing on my file. I've have contacted the FTC about the issue.

Please see attached response

05/15/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Inaccurate bank account updated balance statements
Unfortunately this is not the first bad experience but maybe my last. I have an checking an savings account with there company but it seems they can never seem to give me accurate daily balances. By there form of processing it always leaves me over drafted when I have funds available in my daily balances. I checked my available balance before I proceeded to pay for anything but what it stated was already posted on Mar 26,2014. Only to find out it didn't come out til the morning of Mar 27,2014 an I actually thought this was accurate seeming I paid it on Mar 24, 2014. By this stating it was already drafted and proceed I had no worries FYI this the only bank I've dealt with that processes like this. I bank with several other companies an if its drafted from your account its drafted its no posted deductions then it disappears or says its posted but is not actually took out of the accounts available balances. It absolutely positively makes no sense at all for me to check my account knowing I have pending transactions an think I still have funds. It actually states items were already posted so I feel like my available balance should be accurate. It just would be absurd for me to pay them transfer fees an I could do it myself if I have accurate information I would knowingly know what to do. This is the last time I will deal with this but its not the first time they had such an unorganized setup for my accounts.

I know I didn't have the available so I was charged but due to your daily balance I did and nothing else was pending. It is very important that your costumers have accurate information so this wont happen to them or any consumers that deal with them. Posted balances means its already ta
ken out of your account and available means what you have available to spend. I don't have money to give you'll an I can do it myself that's tasteless..

Please see attached response. Thank you.

Because they just stated they don't charge an overdraft fee if the money is in my way2save but then stated they charge $12.50 transfer overdraft fee what.? I check my regular checking account an it stated I had over $300 in my available balance so I proceeded with purchase as if it was available. I might add that no other bank does this they withhold your payments too long to post to your account.. Example I just paid my AT&T bill on to different accounts but soon as I logged off my 1st convenience bank account it was already taken out; verses me checking my Wells Fargo account it hadn't even posted wow disgusted..!!

Please see attached response.

Because they don't update there available balance accurately like Chase Bank or 1st Convenience Bank they notify you in time and keep you updated..!!

01/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I have prepared this complaint to describe the process that myself and many others have had with Wells Fargo policies and procedures. I hope this complaint not only moves my file along but helps you fix your very broken system. Over the course of 7 long excruciating months I have repeatedly sent all required information in an attempt to modify my existing mortgage to a lower interest rate due to economic hardship. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Wells Fargo and other institutions tracking down the enormous amount of verification and paperwork to apply for a modification.
Wells Fargo requests information which I send constantly and immediately. Each time I speak with a different person who has a different excuse for more detailed paperwork that goes beyond the scope of reason and in some cases not even feasible to attain. The major issue has been the paperwork for verifying my income and hardship. Wells Fargo refuses to acknowledge my ''imminent default'' hardship and has stated that they will not help me unless I become delinquent on my mortgage. That seems to be a ''bait and switch'' policy that can be potentially dangerous to me and other homeowners. If we are forced to become delinquent on our mortgages before we are helped than Wells Fargo increases it chance of acquiring our house in a foreclosure. Furthermore, that policy creates further damage to the borrower by denying them help until their credit is damaged. Once the credit is damaged the credit card companies will cut their credit lines and borrowers will lose more of their financial help.
It is clear to me their tactics are meant to prolong the procedure in the hopes that I will eventually give up. I feel they should be forced to look at my information and come up with a suitable modification. Wells Fargo customer representatives were telling me that I could not modify my loan unless I am delinquent on my mortgage. I will be late if I do not receive help but I should not have to be late to receive help. As time goes by I'm increasingly concerned that no matter what I do or turn in Wells Fargo finds a new paperwork to request or a new excuse with the application process. We have worked hard to apply for help on our mortgage and do not want to lose our home.
The Latest Issue
I have turned numerous documents regarding my health situation. Including a doctors note and receipts of procedures. Wells Fargo still requires more verification which is impossible to provide. Each time Wells Fargo tells me they have closed the file and I need to reopen it and start over. I have done this repeatedly. I understand the guidelines and qualify for a loan modification. Wells Fargo is asking for paperwork that is absolutely NOT FEASABLE to attain. I have offered all Doctors notes and medical recorders I have attained. We have provided more than enough paperwork and information regarding our hardship and financial situation for the underwriter to conclude that we are eligible for the program.
As of 08/28/12 Wells Fargo still wants yet more hardship verification and has closed my file and wants me to start over again. I was shocked with this information I could not believe it. I have been told by a customer representative that even though I am thoroughly qualified I cannot receive a loan modification because I am current on my mortgage payments. He told me discreetly to be late for two months. My understanding of the HAMP guidelines state that you do not need to be late if you are in ''imminent default'' which I am and have proved without any reasonable doubt. How could a program designed to help people in hardship hurt people more and get their situation worse be destroying their credit by making them be late if you can act ahead of time and prevent that from happening. I am outraged by the practices of Wells Fargo, I have complied with their request to fax documents for 7 months with out any progress.

We are asking why Wells Fargo has not approved our loan modification and believe there are numerous other borrowers going through the same nightmare as me. I am asking that we immediately get approved for a permanent modification through The Making Home Affordable program or comparable internal program.
I am hopeful my complaint about this process is handled and remedied within Wells Fargo. However, if the bank continues to drag this process on with silly request or finds some excuse to deny me after seven months of hell.

01/06/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Wells Fargo Fraufulently Offered a Money Incentive for Opening up an Account and NEVER paid the Incentive to the Customer.
My daughter who opened an account with Wells Fargo in Tarpon Springs was told that she would receive a 50.00 incentive for opening an account. She made all of the prerequisite requirements to obtain the money owed to her through this incentive, and after months went by of never receiving her offer, (myself and her father) addressed this issue with the branch manager- who promised myself and my husband on different occasions that he would make sure the money Incentive was credited to my daughter's account. Several months again went by and still nothing was done to correct the situation. We were again, and again assured that the money would be credited to my daughters account; instead my daughters account was charged overdraft fees and then closed- all before she could use the account. Wells Fargo Fraudulently lured my teenage daughter in to a false scheme, and then took advantage of her, by trying to gain several overdraft fees for their banking negligence.

I want Wells Fargo to pay the monies that was originally offered to my daughter, in full. In the form of a fifty (50.00) dollar check sent to my daughter Kaila Crews at 644 Bayshore Dr. Tarpon Springs, FL 34689. This has highly offended everyone involved. A Financial Institute is not supposed to handle matters with complete disregard for their customers. No other excuses will be tolerated.

Please see attached response.

I CANT BELIEVE YOU ARE TAKING THIS STANCE- YES I WILL HAVE MY DAUGHTER ALSO FILE A COMPLAINT- DUE TO YOUR INABILITY TO HANDLE THIS MATTER WITH THE PROFESSIONAL COURTESY THAT WE DESERVE. MY DAUGHTER IS A MINOR AND AS HER MOTHER I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO INTERVIEN ON HER BEHALF- DELAYING THIS ISSUE WILL ONLY STRENGTHEN MY NEED TO SEEK LEGAL ADVICE ON THIS SITUATION. I WILL HAVE MY DAUGHTER RESOND AND CONTINUE WITH HER COMPLAINT.

01/06/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Due to lack of delivery on Wells Fargo's end, I asked that payment be stopped and funds be released and was denied.
I used BillPay, one of Wells Fargo's online services to make a payment of $1204.16 for my first month's rent at Meridian at Courthouse that should have been received by 11/29. The payee did not receive it and I was denied access to my new apartment. I spoke to a Wells Fargo representative via phone who transferred me to an Online specialist. This gentleman put in a claim for me and told me that showing the leasing office my "proof of payment" will be enough until they can get a "BillPay Specialist" to reach out to them. He told me that it would take up to 10 days for that to happen. I expressed to him that this wouldn't help my situation since I need to be moving in by the 1st of December (sunday). He told me to show them the proof of payment and call back if i have any issues. I showed them the proof of payment and the leasing office said that it's not a payment and therefore, they can not give me the keys to my new place. I then decided to call back wells fargo and speak to someone about my situation. I spoke to a lady at first, and expressed to her my frustration and situation. She said she couldn't do anything on her end so I asked for her supervisor. I spoke to Lorenzo Martinez. I expressed that I will be without a place if no payment is received by the payee and asked if anything else could be done by MY BANK to help out my situation. He told me they could follow up with the claim and see if maybe they could push someone to call up faster or put a stop on the check and that funds won't be available until after 5 days! I told him that the least they could do was to stop it and release the funds immediately since I will be without a place to live. He said he couldn't do that for me. So i asked to speak to his supervisor, Caroline Castillo. After putting me on hold, he responds back telling me that she agrees with him and that there's nothing else that can be offered. I told him that I was upset that she couldn't even make time to speak to me and that as a customer of Wells Fargo, that I should at least get someone higher up to speak to me since this is a special scenario and that I will be without a place to stay. He offered to have her call me Monday. Again, I explained to him that that wouldn't help my sitatuion. I would lose the special deal that the leasing office was offering for me and again, be without a place to stay. NO one seemed to care that I would be without a place to stay. Not once did Lorenzo stop to check and see if that was a possibility given my situation or at least offer to speak to the leasing office. I felt like I was battling for MY MONEY!

Should I lose the offer given by the leasing office due to Wells Fargo's lack of proper action, I want Wells Fargo to pay the difference in rent based on
Market Price minus the Special promotion price I was offered)for a the span of 1 year lease agreement.

Please see attached response.

This isn't acceptable. If I wanted a letter from Wells Fargo on letterhead restating what every customer service agent said to me on the day of November 30, I would have asked for that instead of making a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. It's a matter of principle here. As a financial institution, Wells Fargo turned it's back on one of its clients at a time when I needed support/help with a difficult situation. This money wasn't money from another account. THIS WAS MY MONEY that I was asking them to release BACK into my account. Please do keep in mind that until this day, the check has yet been received. Also, after finishing my complaint with BBB and stopping the check, the funds were finally released on the 5th of December (the maximum days in which it takes Wells Fargo to release funds). This is exactly why I felt that Wells Fargo's solution of stopping the check and having the funds released 3-5 business days would not help my situation and why I begged and argued with the customer service representatives. This is just sickening and disappointing. I feel betrayed and embarrassed because of what I had to go through with the leasing office and how my financial institution turned it's back on me. All this response from Wells Fargo did for me was frustrate me.

Banks, Financial Services, Money Orders & Transfers, Currency Exchange