BBB Accredited Business since 02/01/1986

Appliance Parts Distributor

11/15/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Refund Issue
I did have bad experience with Appliance Part distributor (APD) Fremont. My refrigerator stopped cooling, freezer side was working. I called APD, they told me to change damper assembly. I bought damper assembly from them for $69 and replaced the part myself. That didn't fix the problem. I called them again and they gave me technician phone number and asked me tell technician that APD referred. I called that technician he came to my home fixed the problem in 20 minutes charged me $145. I went back to APD to return the part. They refused the return saying that they won't accept the return of electrical parts. I requested them a lot and even asked to give me back 50% money because the part is useless for me. He started arguing with me saying that I know part is non-returnable and I am lying.
If I would have known that part is non-returnable then I would not have purchased it first place. APD never told me that part is non-refundable. I purchased the part based on his advice. The long story short that he didn't return the part and it cost me $145 + $69 = $214 to fix the problem.

I want to Return the part and get refund my money of $69.22. I have the original part with receipt that show $63.50 +tax $5.72 = $69.22.

Electrical parts once installed are not returnable as we are not allowed to sell them as a new part. We will give customers advice on a problem and say things like it sounds like this could be your problem but NEVER say "this or that is the problem you need this part". Our return policy is very liberal compared to most stores but once a part is installed they are not returnable as again it is considered a used part all. If a customer is not sure of a problem they should call a technician.

I never said I didn't install the part.

I honestly can't even believe this customer would waste our time trying to return a part that has been installed.

I talked to the employee in Fremont who sold the part to him and this is the exact scenario as it went:

Customer came in our store and asked what the problem could be with his refrigerator and our employee explained it could be one of 5 things and listed the possibilities. The customer chose to take the damper assembly as it was the least expensive part (which we had to order in from the San Leandro branch) and my salesperson at that time told him he should call a technician and at that time gave him ******** appliance business card as he was not sure that would be the problem. The customer installed the part and that did not fix the problem so he called ******** and they put in a fan motor to fix it. At that time the customer told ******* that he was going to return the damper assembly to APD and Robert with ******* even told him you can't do that it was installed. So he tried to return the part to us at first saying he never installed it but it was missing the insulating foam and he then admitted to installing it. As I stated before we have a very liberal return policy BUT once a part is installed we are not able to return it. State law mandates at that time the part is installed it then becomes a used part and two things come into play. Number one we do not sell used parts and number two electrical parts we often have no way of knowing if they are still working as many times the customers blow the part up internally during the installation. THIS PART IS NOT RETURNABLE AT ALL FOR ANY RESTOCKING FEE

04/11/2013Problems with Product / Service