BBB Accredited Business since 07/05/2011

Chesapeake Plumbing, Inc.

02/25/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Chesapeake Plumbing is invoicing us for $1,215.00 for improperly trenching to a wrong sewer tap as a result of failure to check approved plans.
Chesapeake Plumbing is wrongly invoicing us $1,215 for improperly trenching to a wrong sewer tap at *** ******** Rd. S., Severna Park on September 26, 2014. This work was done clearly in their error as the result of their failure to check the County approved engineering plans. These plans which were available to the plumber clearly indicate the location of the new tap and associated lines of disturbance, as further confirmed by our site engineer, ******* & *********** Chesapeake Plumbing executed this work outside the line of disturbance causing unnecessary damage to trees in an old growth forest and they did not take responsibility for soil stabilization of the area they disturbed. We, the owners, had to mitigate soil stabilization independently, on our own time, and at no expense to the plumber.

In order to attempt resolution to this issue, on January 7, 2015 we emailed a compromise of 50% of the balance which was quickly refuted. At this point this plumber abandoned the project which has resulted in unnecessary and inconvenient delays in the final construction phase. We consider this invoice unjustified as this issue is fully the responsibility of the plumber and therefore we expect this invoice be rescinded.

We consider this $1,215 invoice unjustified and therefore expect it to be rescinded.

In response to the BBB Complaint from the ****** residence we would like to respond as follows:

Chesapeake Plumbing, Inc. has been in business for over 25 years and has always held an A+ rating with the BBB. Please also be aware this job has been coordinated and supervised / run by Mrs. ******, the homeowner, and not a licensed building contractor.

The complaint states the CPI improperly trenched to a wrong sewer tap as a result of failure to check approved plans. The only plans CPI used to perform this work, were provided, via email by Mrs. ****** and that is attached to this email. As far as improperly trenching, this work was permitted and inspected by Anne Arundel County.

On September 8, 2014 Mrs. ***** ****** sent the attached email and print, stating she had spoken with ***** ******** from AACo Department of Public Works, and he had told her there were two existing sewer taps and gave a manhole cover # of **** and forwarded a print of the location of the manhole from which tap we were to connect to. Mrs. ****** coordinated this sewer installation with Chesapeake Plumbing and she verified with Chesapeake Plumbing where the tap was located that we were to connect to. From this information, CPI scheduled the work to be completed.

Once on site, CPI started the installation of the sewer service. CPI had a machine and operator, 1 foreman, 2 apprentices, piping, and fittings necessary on site. CPI spent 5-1/2 hours excavating and installing this sewer and had over 85 feet of piping installed, including two cleanouts, when I brought to there attention that the grade on the this sewer would not make it to the house. It was at that time I was asked to meet with their engineer and at that time is when he came out to the site and produced a set of prints showing that the builder was to abandon the existing tap and have a new one installed deeper. I then backfilled the excavation, raked the ground, and had our plumbers help her husband spread wood chips over the area for stabilization. I also helped coordinate the proper permit and expedited the installation with **** *** from AACo, for a new tap install.

After the new tap was installed, CPI returned to the property and installed the sewer. CPI also did not disturb or damage trees and completed the installation per Anne Arundel County regulations. The work was installed per code and passed inspection. CPI backfilled, raked, seeded, and strawed the area for stabilization. This dispute came when Mrs. ****** did not want to pay for the costs associated with the initial sewer install.

As a curtesy to the customer and with the attempt to keep unforeseen costs to a minimum, for our customers sake, CPI developed an invoice, for the above work, that was extremely discounted and at a more than fair price. CPI has also attached the invoice sent to the ******'s for your review. Considering CPI did not charge for machine and operator which would have equaled $960.00 and only charged 1/2 the cost for the plumbers on site, cost only for the material purchased which perfectly exemplifies the cost of $1,215.00 was absolutely acceptable. It was not Chesapeake Plumbing's fault that we connected to an old tap, but we did as instructed.

Please note, Mrs. ******, on January 7th accepted responsibility for her mistake, but only wanted to pay for 50% of the cost incurred. That is when Chesapeake Plumbing, Inc. notified her that we would not proceed further with the project.

******, Please understand this is Mrs. ******* second attempt to discredit our company. Her first attempt was to call Anne Arundel County licensing and complain that I did "shotty work," which the county shot down after conversation with the inspectors. I hope this answers all of your questions concerning this complaint. If not please call me or email me back directly to discuss. Thank you for your time and effort in this situation.

**** ********

Mr. ********'s claims in his response are patently false. We, the homeowner, are in no way responsible for the egregious errors performed by Mr. ********. He failed in his duty to review County approved plans for the project. We in no way claimed responsibility for his errors, but merely offered $600 to move beyond this impasse, which he refuted immediately. We are disheartened by Mr. ********'s unjustified persistence in this matter, especially considering his lack of willingness to compromise. This further endorses our contacting BBB to make known to all Mr. ********'s mishandling of contracted work. Evidence clearly shows that as a licensed contractor he executed these steps in error and is solely responsible. Please feel free to contact me or my husband, we would be happy to discuss it over the telephone if any further clarification is needed.

My integrity is sound. The information I provided is backed up with the previously attached emails, confirming that I requested the proper information and was provided with the plan that was used to install the work. Simply, the plan provided was wrong.
The statement of "lack of willingness to compromise" is the only false statement I see. I have not included my time that day and equipment charges for that day on our invoice. The invoice is only for the "costs" of materials installed and time our techs were on the job. I have also spent considerable time with their engineer and county offices to #1 figure out the mistake and #2 to expedite the installation of the correct connection with no additional billing, but there is no consideration for that. Chesapeake Plumbing has contracted and continues today to install literally thousands of these sewer house connections. I believe through our experiences, that we know our duty and responsibilities to our customers, including asking the right questions and acquiring the proper information to install our work, as proven by our A+ accreditation. We here at CPI are very sorry for this incident and have made considerable monetary adjustments to come to a compromise. I sincerely hope Mrs. ****** can move forward from here with clarity and without more discretization of my company and/or my integrity, since she has hired Mr. ******** who has secured a permit, to complete their project. Our invoice stands as is. It is to be paid in full and will not be rescinded.

What has been proposed is not a resolution. We maintain our stance that this invoice is unjustified and should be rescinded.

Plumbers, Sump Pump Contractors, Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning, Water Heaters - Repairing, Plumbers - Commercial