BBB Accredited Business since 12/29/2010

Allmaster Builders, Inc.

10/22/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

This company was contracted to do repairs to my home. Over half of the repairs to be done were incomplete and the ones completed were unacceptable.
**** ********* of All Master Builders, Inc. was contracted to do repairs on my home in order for the home to meet *** standards. Of the 18 items that were to be completed 15 were incomplete and the only two that were completed were improperly completed. The entire company was unprofessional and unable to resolve my various complaints.

To start with the repairs took 6 times as long to complete as originaly promised. On initial contact with **** ********* (the first week of June 2013) I was told the repairs would take a total of one week, two at the most. The repairs were not even half way complete when I asked the company to leave my property after 6 weeks of occupying it. in the first week no one even showed up to work, although I was being told they would, in the second week I was told by **** that one of his employees, ***** was working there. No work was completed that week either. The next week I was told **** was fired and they put *** to work at my house for the next 4 weeks. My personal belongings in the house were abused by the contractors and they went through closets and opened packages that belonged to me. Every day I would come in hardly anything would be done, but my chairs would be rearranged and the cases of gatorade and water I had left in my fridge were empty.

Secondly the work preformed was all extreamly shoddy. I had to have a *** inspector come in to write a report on the incomplete work who noticed issues with every item they were suppossed to complete and even failed several of them. When **** ********* came to look at the work that was incomplete, he even agreed a lot of the work was shoddy and most was incomplete.

The items to be done were:
1.Repair damaged parging or front porch- Sloppy and incomplete.
2.Replace 2 damaged concrete blocks on basement steps- The old peices were put back together, exteamly sloppy and unfinished, globs of concrete remain.
3.Secure loose railing on back porch- Completely undone.
4.Scrape and paint window and doorframe- Paint was not scraped off, just painted over and splattered all over my house.
5.Replace rear wooden gate- replaced with poor quality damaged wood, without a latch or handle and does not open completely because it is attached unevenly.
6.New storm door on rear and replace sweep on front storm door- Rear storm door does not close properly and does not latch, front sweep is missing screws and is incorrect size.
7.Cover open wall spaces in basement- Not done.
8.Repair drywall damage in basement and rear bedroom- Not done.
9./10.Remidiate mold and spray mold killer then replace mold damaged drywall.- The drywall was improperly repaired and upon my removal I have noticed the mold was not removed and the affected insulation still remained. I have since had someone come in to remediate the mold and replace the drywall, but took dated pictures of the remaining mold and previous poor quality work.
11.Secure loose trim around gas meter and vent door.- The trim was not secured and the vent was put in my wall not the door.
12.Secure loose railing on front porch- bolts stick out from the railing and it has not been properly secured.
13.Install new handrail for rear basement steps- Poor quality lumber used to replace a metal handrail, the wood was cut and splintered so the handrail can't even be touched.
14.remove old an place new ceramic tile in basement bathroom.- all tile is uneven the grout is too low and the trim that was removed was broken and not replaced.
15. Remove old and install new kitchen tile- The same as above, however this trim was discarded.
16. remove and reinstall bathroom sink.- They scratched and ruined my new sink and it leaks and was not installed properly.
17.Cover vent pipe in back of house.- Incomplete globs of concrete remain.
18.Cover 2 open heat ducts in attic.-The only thing completed properly.

In addition to this the contactor LOST the keys to my house and I have had to change the locks for a second time.

Prior to Allmaster Builders, Inc. starting work they were issued a check for the amount of $2,029.00. I am requesting a full refund of this amount. I have paid more money to fix the problems they have cause then it would have cost me to have them done properly in the first place. None of the work was completed or done properly, with the exception of covering the attic vents. The estimate I was given stated a price of $75.00 to cover those vents and I spent quite a bit more to replace the locks that Allmaster Builders negligently lost the key to. They also cost me an additional 2 months of a lease because the left the property unihabitable and I have been staying in an apartment while the work is finished, paying that lease and also my mortgage. Not to mention the cost of the *** bills I incurred after the contractors repeatedly left my airconditioner on 50 degrees after being asked numerous times not to move the thermostat from 72 degrees, which I turned on soley for their comfort while working as I was not occupying the home. A full refund of the $2,029.00 is the only settlement fit for the problems they have created and more than fair considering the amount of money they have forced me to spend correcting their mistakes.

The job we were contracted to do for Ms. ******** was a 203K job in which we are allotted 6 Months to complete(Which it would not have taken). When we originally started the job we found a roof leak in one of the areas we were going to be working in. We originally bid on the roof repairs but Ms. ******** denied those repairs. That is what caused the delay at first and it took two weeks for her to have the roof repaired. Then my employee was having issues and was not keeping up with the desire timeframes so we took him off of Ms. ********'s job. After removing him from the job the pace started picking up. Ms. ******** states that her personal belongings were abused and went through yet the property was vacant the entire time we were doing work there. My employees were told to help themselves to the drinks in her fridge.

The work we did there was not shoddy it just wasn't all complete because we were denied entry to complete our tasks. We believe Ms. ******** removed the key from the lockbox and told us we lost it. Even though we did not lose them we offered to pay for new locks to try to complete the job and resolve her issues.

**** met with Ms. ******** and her mother to resolve her issues and was met with great hostility. Her mother screamed in his face while he was trying to work with them on the concerns of the work. He never agreed the work was shoddy, just incomplete because we were denied entry. I have a copy of the report from the 203K *** Consultant and will go through it as Ms. ******** did in her complaint, but I will do it honestly.

1.) Parging is complete
2.) Replaced damage block is complete
3.) Loose railing at back porch is not satisfactory. Corner at right side of door(from rear)is still detached. Entire railing system is still loose. May require new.
4.)Front door and window trim is sufficient to satisfy FHA requirements.
5.) Rear wooden gate was installed. Not satisfactory. The latch does not line up with the notch(should be metal), the hardware is missing on the exterior, and bottom of the gate does not swing open without scraping the concrete edging.
6.) New storm door is satisfactory but it does not latch properly. Sweep on front storm door is missing 1 of the screws.(not level)
7.) There is still open holes in front part of basement
8.) Complete
9.) The drywall was repaired poorly. Not sanded and incorrect tape. The area removed was not large enough as there is still staining in the area.
10.) Cannot confirm or deny
11.) Trim Secured. The vent was simply a large hole in the wall. A register cover should be installed in order to provide a vent (we installed a vent register and customer removed to paint then didn't put back for inspection)
12.) Railing is secured
13.) Railing is installed
14.) New tile was installed. the baseboard was moved during installation and not put back into place upon completion
15.) New ceramic tile was installed in kitchen. Satisfies *** requirements but quality is poor. Tile at stove is raised above the other tiles and the grout lines are inconsistent in size. Baseboard and cabinetry toe kicks were removed during installation and reinstalled upon completion.
16.) Sink installed. Owner mentioned a leak at the drain line but not leaking at time of inspection. The hot and cold water supply lines were not properly braced to the stud at the sink.
17.) Vent hole covered
18.) Ducts covered in attic

This report doesn't show that everything is complete but we were denied entry to complete the work. Most of the incomplete items are minor fixes aside from the kitchen tile which we would have fixed properly had we been given the chance
As you can see Ms. ********'s interpretation of the report is grossly exaggerated to favor her side. I have submitted a copy of the report to the BBB as well.

With a 203K streamline contract we are given half of the money up front and the other half at completion. We spent well over that in labor and materials. We agreed to walk away from the job with what we had received since Ms. ******** was being unreasonable and denying us the chance to complete the work. We are just an honest hard working small business trying to make a living. Some people just feel the need to try and work the system and try to get something for nothing.

Although Allmaster builders may have spent money paying their employees and purchasing materials to use at my house, the employees they sent did not do the work they were suppossed to and the materials that were used did not nearly amount to the amount of estimated materials. They used the cheapest possible materials and they were installed improperly, most of which have already been removed or replaced. As a customer it is not my responsibility to pay for employees on their payroll who did nothing at my house or ruined things at my house. It is also not a customer's responsibility to pay for materials used in a job that was done incorrectly and sloppily. Because the work was done so poorly it is their responsibility to hire more experienced employees and manage their jobs better, therefor the money lost on paying their useless employees should not come from me. If a business makes a mistake they should absorb their losses rather than passing **** on to a customer who they have already cost way more money than just what they were originally paid. The terrible work and the lies are evident in the pictures and emails I sent in. For a business to take such advantage of their customers is absolutley ridiculous. Regardless of how long they have been a member of the BBB and how many complaints they have to date. Just because no one has used the BBB to complain does not mean they are a good company to hire. They have not proposed a resolution, they have only tried to pass *** blame, therfor their response is still unacceptable. I have pictures, video, and emails to prove how terrible they have been and will now be happy to share with anyone and everyone so they are well aware of the way this company handles their business and takes advantage of their customers.

We at Allmaster Builders take our work and customer complaints very seriously. It is not unusual to have a "punch out list" when performing multiple repairs, and this job is no different. We openly admit that there were repairs items that need to be addressed and it is important to note here that we stood ready and were willing to make those repairs.
The contract price to complete all work for Ms. ******** was $4,058. We completed this work leaving only the punch out list to contend with, standard in the industry. To date we have only received $2,029 representing half of the contract price and have incurred expenses of $2,823 leaving us in the red for $794. With that said, in an attempt to do the right thing and to maintain good customer relations we have forgone the loss and have signed off on the lien accepting this amount as payment in full. We feel we have done nothing wrong, we offered to address and correct all concerns and have now accepted less than the contracted price.
I would like to point out that Allmaster Builders has been a member of the Baltimore Better Business Bureau since 1999 and not once has a complaint been filed against us. Since our first day in operation we have always put our customers first, including Ms. ********. That is why we only excepted half payment for our services.

Home Improvements, Contractor - General Green Builder, Windows, Doors - Installation, Waterproofing Contractors, Siding Contractors, Roofing Contractors, Home Improvements - Additions, Gutters & Downspouts