Shawley's LP Gas

04/19/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

3 years ago we purchased a heat pump and had i5 installed it has not worked right. We have had 4 service calls in just since the beginning of winter.
We purchased a heat pump system from shawleys they installed it and it is still under warranty but is not working properly. We have had 4 service call just since the beginning of winter and have to make another. First the system was never put in properly the last service call they had to put in the wire that let the system know the temp outside, we have 4 children and no adequate heat/ac and myself and 3 of them have severe asthma. Shawleys keeps sending me bills but i am not paying them a penny till this system is working 5he way it should or they replace it. I should not have to have all the problems i have with a brand new system.

I want my system replaced we paid all that money for something that does not work properly at all. I should not have to call for service all the time for something brand new.

Contact Name and Title: ********
Contact Email: ***********@SHAWLEYSGAS.COM
In response to our charges for labor and parts on the heating system installed by Shawley's .
I can understand how frustrating this can be for feel uncomfortable with the temperature in your home. First the uncomfortable feeling of having insufficient heat in your home, and secondly dealing with the warranty process since the unit was installed in March of 2012.
The Owners' Manual outlines the warranty policy (page 5). That outline details that certain parts may be covered, labor is not covered and proper maintenance is required to keep the warranty valid. Attached is a copy of the owners' manual..
In the past Shawley's has made the following customer accommodations;
March 2012 Shawley's installed oil furnace and heat pump.
October 2015 Customer called requested service due to no heat. Tech dispatched. Blower Motor needs replaced due to unit not being serviced. Motor was caked with pet hair causing blower to seize up. Insufficient air circulation around motor.
November 2015 Tech installed blower motor and assembly parts. Parts are within warranty. Labor charges apply.
January 2016 Customer called advised oil furnace not coming on. Tech dispatched and found the primary control, plate and fossil fuel board not working due to equipment not being maintained and/or parts beyond warranty life. These parts were not originally installed by Shawley's nor does the company have a record of replacing them. Parts and Labor charges are applicable.
January 2016 Mrs. ******* called to advise she was not happy, wants to know why she was billed 2 hours labor. Service Manager, ******** returned called and spoke with ****** *******. He was advised that labor charges are not covered by the manufacturer warranty. *** also advised that any parts would normally not be covered under the manufacture warranty due to system not being maintained annually, however she made an accommodation to replace the parts are no cost to the customer. With the advice to have the units serviced moving forward.
Shawley's Service Manager, ******** has made several customer accommodations thru waiving the charges for parts (not normally covered thru warranty) totaling $615.00, all charges are related to customer requiring service on units that were not properly maintained in accordance with the owners' manual.
The company aims to consistently deliver a professional service to our customers and I would like to state that on this occasion the level of service you received was fair.
Shawley's is willing to offer a 20% discount on the services and labor provided Invoice ******** ($85.50) and removed $8 finance charges in return the customer agrees to pay the remaining balance owed $542.04.
Shawley's appreciates your loyalty for the past 4 years, and wishes to continue to service your needs. Shawley's recognizes that it is the combined loyalty and dedication by all customers and employees that guarantees our continued growth.
Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and I sincerely hope that that you will have no further cause for any complaint in relation to our service.

I do understand the waranty, and i do agree that there was alot of pet hair and all. I had another company come out and clean the unit and fix it, somewhere there were crossed wires and that was causing the unit to not work properly. We had to pay $235.00 for this company to come out and fix something that was your mistake and i can provide proof. The tec documented it. So i feel alot of the charges should be removed and you should be responsible for the $235.00 we had to pay to fix your mistake.

A representative from ********************* has advised that the Service Order Invoice #***** (the one Mrs. ******* attached) was no charge, like indicated in the check box in top right hand corner.
The representative stated only the air conditioned wires were cross wired. The Shawley's Technician was unable to test the A/C control from the thermostat at the time of installing the new control(2-29-16) due to cold outdoor temperature. The representative from ************ agreed that in this circumstance any Technician would not have been able to test the A/C control in February.
Two pictures are attached of the *******s' blower. The pictures support the amount of pet hair caked into the blower. Shawley's made a customer accommodation by submitting the request for warranty parts. A warranty part is only covered if the part failed due to improper manufacturing and/or defect. Warranty parts are covered if the unit is not properly cleaned and maintained.
Shawley's has been more than reasonable by replacing the blower under warranty and offering on a 20% discount on the remaining balance.

I don't know who you spoke with at ******************** but i can prove there was a payment rendered to them. Also you do not have pictures of my blower with pet hair. Yes my blower may have had some but it was not as bad as you described. If you wipe off what you say we owe you this dispute can be closed. I am not going to pay a penny for the bad service I received.

03/21/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Supplied less propane than paid for on 2 occasions; 02/06/14 and 02/24/14.
On 02/06/14, I ordered 200 gallons of residential propane from the company @ $3.499/gal. My 500 gallon tank was almost empty, but was refilled up to around 22%, which is just about 100 gal. They had mentioned about a propane shortage and so I assumed that they didn't have enough (200 gal would have filled my tank up to 40%).
On 02/23/14 (Sunday) I realized that I was running very low on gas; I called on 02/24 (yesterday) morning and ordered 200 gallons more @ $3.899. Gas was delivered same day and tank filled up to 35% (which is about 175 gal).
Here is the problem: for the delivery made on 02/06, I had assumed that they'd charge for the delivered amount (i.e. 100 gal), but upon checking my bank statement, they charged me for 200 gallons ($700.15).
For the 02/24 delivery (i.e. 175 gal), they have also charged me the full amount ($779.80).
I called the company this morning and spoke to ***, and all he said was that they delivered 200 gallons on both occasions. I told him that there was no way the gauge would show 22% three weeks ago for 200 gallons and 35% yesterday for the same. In addition to that, there is now was we could have used 200 gallons of gas in 3 weeks! Even in December and January when the temperatures were lower, the 200 gallons that we had purchased from another company lasted us about 5-6 weeks.
He supported his argument by stating that their trucks have GPS monitoring, and that gauges don't always work right. I'm only disputing the delivered amount, I'm not saying that they never delivered anything. Secondly, this gauge is working fine and has been working fine when I purchased propane from ** *** **

For the order delivered on 02/06, the company owes us 100 gallons @ 3.499.
For the order delivered yesterday (02/24), they owe us 25 gallons @ $3.899.
They could either (i) refill the tank with 125 gallons (25%), but only if we can make arrangements for them to deliver when I'm at home.
(ii). Refund my money for the disputed gallons- $349 for the first transaction and $97 for the second transaction.

Shawley's delivered 200.1 gallons of propane on 2/6/14 and 200 gallons of propane on 2/24/2014 at the request of Mr. *****. Our delivery trucks have meters that measure gallons pumped from a delivery truck into a tank. Any of our meters that are used for resale to our customers are routinely calibrated, inspected and certified by the State of Maryland Department of Weights and Measures.
Propane volume is affected by temperatures.
The average temp on 2/6/2014 was 29 degrees and on 2/24/2014 was 38 degrees average temp.
The same amount of propane will read different levels on a gauge based on the temperature outside. Please reference http://www.propane101.com/propanevolumecorrection.htm. This article will explain propane volume. Your business is very important to us, and so is our integrity. Shawley's position on this matter is that both deliveries you received were invoiced for the correct amount of gallons per the metered delivery ticket. A duplicate copy of any delivery tickets are available per your request.

Thank you for reminding me what I already knew. What you may have also addressed is the location of our tank- it is an underground tank, and, while the temperatures may be freezing, it's not affected as much as a typical above-ground tank. Even if it were an above-ground tank, there is no way the pressure could have fallen by half, get lower with rising temperatures in the following days, then run out of gas in 3 weeks!
I was already aware that the gauge may show a slightly lower reading due to the temperatures. When I called the company to have this issue resolved, I told them that I had a "small" problem and a "bigger" problem. I wasn't concerned so much with the 35% reading because it was fairly close to the expected reading. That's why I referred to it as a small problem. My main concern was the 20% reading and running out of gas in such a short time. As I had mentioned in my previous statement, we had earlier purchased a similar quantity from a different supplier- even with similar conditions (during the polar vortex), their delivery (%) was right on point and the gas lasted several more weeks (we actually spent more time at home during the holiday season).
If the company is not ready to make it right, we will refer the issue to other authorities.
The reason we have continued to buy from this company (despite a previous bad experience in October 2013) is because we believe in supporting local businesses.

I understand that you feel that a delivery of 200 gallons was not delivered as requested because you believe that firstly, 200 gallons of propane should have supplied more than 3 weeks of heat, secondly that believe you tank gauge is more accurate than the delivery trucks calibrated, inspected and certified meter, and thirdly that you believe that your gauge would register a correct and corresponding level after each delivery from your previous supplier ****.

It is Shawley's position that these three reasons are not accurate or reasonable.
In regards to the first concern that 200 gallons delivered by Shawley's did not last more than 3 weeks. Our records indicate that customer within a 2 mile radius of your home, with similar size tank and use propane for heat used anywhere from 7.5-12 gallons of propane per day on average during this same time period. From your delivery on Feb 6th to Feb 24th your home used 200 gallons in 19 days calculated to approx. 10.5 gallons per day on average. Thus, Shawley's believes your usage is reasonable.
In regards to your second concern that you believe your gauge is more accurate than the meters on our delivery trucks that are inspected, calibrated and certified by State of Maryland Weights & Measures, Shawley's believes that our meters are more accurate than a gauge in a tank. This can also be compared to a gasoline pump verse the fuel gauge in a car dashboard.
In regards to your third concern that your gauge would read an accurate level after receiving a delivery from ****, this is not a true statement. As your relationship with this Shawley's began from a phone call from you requesting our service to repair the gauge in your tank because your tank gauge was stuck on 90% at all times. Shawley's retains a letter from you supporting the gauge was stuck, not readings an accurate level after a delivery from another supplier.
In regards to your reference to an previous bad experience in October 2013, Shawley's is uncertain why your believe this is a bad experience. You called in on Oct 18, 2013 requested a delivery and prepaid on a credit card. Then you called back to request an approx.delivery date, you were advised that a delivery would be made within the 7 working days per our company policy for "Will Call" customers, you did not want to wait up to 7 workings days due to concern of running out gas because you did not allow 7 working days time frame before possibly running out of gas. You requested to cancel your delivery and a refund back to your credit card. Shawley's operated per our company policy and did meet your request to cancel the delivery and refunded your card.
Shawley's position in this matter is that both deliveries you received were invoiced for the correct amount of gallons per the metered delivery ticket. Shawley's further believes that the concerns that you expressed to support your statement are neither true nor reasonable.
Shawley's wished to submit a copy of the delivery tickets, a copy of our Will Call Policy and a copy of the letter from you to support our position.
Your business is very important to us, and so is our integrity. We take pride in providing honest and affordable service and products to our customers. As you can see from our BBB profile we have zero complaints.
I am sadden to hear that you are unhappy with our service and believe that with more knowledge of your homes' heating consumption and industry standard delivery process that you would agree with Shawley's position.

Gas - Propane, Heating Equipment & Systems Cleaning & Repair