BBB Accredited Business since 05/21/2010

Budget Bath, Inc.

4 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

02/16/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The tile floor on a bath room renovated by Budget Bath is cracking and the grout is falling out. the bath room was finished in 2014 and the first renters to use the townhouse moved in August of 2015. The first renters to use the bathroom called after no more than ten days of occupancy. We have pictures of the tiles which are loose and the gaps in the grout. Budget Bath refuses to come out to even look at the bathroom floor or to give us an estimate for repair. It is a safety issue and we must have it repaired.
Product_Or_Service: Bathroom renovation tile floor

I requested that Budget Bath come look at the floor to tell us what went wrong with the renovation, what they will do to repair the floor, and/or give us an estimate. They failed to meet with us at the assigned date and time. Budget Bath refused to answer our phone calls. They also refused to look at the floor.

I can certainly understand the ******'s reaction. I would be angry too if a contractor did sub-par work
in my home then failed to honor a commitment to repair anything that was defective. However, this is an unusual situation. This client pursued potential warranty work in a most unethical way. They called our office about the problem. We have a standard protocol for repairs however, water leaks get priority. Since this was not a water leak and a simple tile repair, we normally set up a time to evaluate the situation and schedule the fix. This client immediately went on the offensive for no reason. They called our office, they called my cell incessantly every day. They called our project manager and told him that I personally authorized them to contact him and set an appointment, without my permission nor awareness, to look at the loose tiles. this was an underhanded event that seemed suspicious. They actually lied to get him to make the repair before I could evaluate it. I directed **** not to show up for the illegitimate appointment. I visited the job site personally. Since I have done several bathrooms in this neighborhood, I have a good understanding of existing conditions. Some of these units have a vent pipe inside the wall that exits the roof. These town homes are old and the boot can become dry rotted. During a heavy rain, water can leak through and run down the pipe and onto the floor. I have seen this exact scenario in dozens of other homes in my career. There were only a few loose tiles but they were on the opposite side of the room away from the toilet, sink and tub. The tiles were solid in all other areas. We had completed two other bathrooms on Lynch Road for this client less than a year earlier using the same techniques with no issues. They were so pleased with our work on those projects that they pursued us to complete two more bathrooms at **** ****** ****** After examining the floor, My conclusion was that something other than workmanship or materials caused the tiles to loosen. Since the house was vacant for about a year, I suppose it is possible that during one of the many heavy rain storms we experienced this year, perhaps some water did settle in this area and cause the tile issue of
4 - 6 loose tiles. Had the ******'s been honest and truthful and patient, I am sure we could have worked this out with no issues as we have all of our other clients. We want to do the right thing in every situation. They requested an estimate for the half bath but we declined because they are not trustworthy honest people. When we finished the bathrooms at **** ****** they withheld payment for a few weeks for no reason or explanation. They did not return phone calls and they themselves did not show up for an agreed upon appointment to get the final check. Ultimately they did pay us in full, however with much gamesmanship. This client has sought to destroy our exemplar reputation through ***** ****** **** and BBB. Interestingly, all 3 reports are different. I will submit those upon request. The bond of trust that exists between two parties agreeing to a contract is only as good as the integrity of the two parties. I do not wish to do business with these people. Initially, we had a good relationship and enjoyed working together. I am not sure what changed as we delivered consistently great bathroom renovations. I regret to have to write such a distasteful response about this clients behavior and activities.
warm regards..***** *****

We have been honest and fair with Budget Bath but now we have a repair job that may cost us $5,000.
This complaint is for the second story bath at **** ****** ******
Two outside contractors claim that the wrong mastic glue was used to put down the tiles on the second floor bathroom, causing the tiles to crack. They claim the glue was meant for a cement floor and the second story bath has a wooden subfloor not cement. Budget Bath did a basement bath with a cement subfloor in the same house on the same job This glue does not give and therefore it all cracked, even tiles on the edges as seen in the photos. I also sent a photo of a tile taken up by the outside contractor which shows this dilemma.
In the initial talks with Budget Bath they claimed the estimate shows the price of the job and they would take care of any issues they found when putting in the bathroom.
During one of my visits to the townhouse, I saw that the beautiful second story bathroom was almost complete. The Budget Bath worker showed me that there was a ceiling leak in the adjoining bedroom. I was not aware of the leak and thanked the worker for telling me.
I asked if the leak had affected the bathroom and the answer was NO.
At that time, the tiles were already down.
I had the leak fixed By ********* contractors on October 10th, 2014.
It is evident from the pictures of the second story bath, and the word of two separate contractors who conclude that the wrong mastic was used for the wooden subfloor. The floor seemed fine until the renters moved in and began using the bath on a daily basis as was meant to be in any home. The baths displayed well for viewing by possible renters but after about 10 days of regular use, we received messages that there were issues. The townhouse was empty until these renters moved in and the leak was repaired for almost 10 months.
We just want the floor fixed properly with no derogatory remarks. So far, the first estimate to fix this floor is $5,000.
When my renters texted me that the floor was cracking every time they used it, we went over the verify the situation.
We called Budget Bath first using the names we were given to contact. The secretary took my message and said that she would pass it along and that someone would contact me. Her response was cordial. After no response my husband called John who we were told in an email to use as our contact and they set up a meeting to come out and see the bath floor. NO one came and we waited,
No one answer and class that day. Eventually I got Mr ***** on the phone and he refused t come and see the floor. I was told that no one from Budget Bath would answer our calls or come out to see the house.
Not knowing what to do, I googled consumer protection Howard County and got to the appropriate agencies. I just want the bathroom floor fixed.

The ******* have not been fair and honest with Budget Bath Inc. nor myself nor one of our employees regarding the second floor bath at **** ****** court.

The entire mess of this situation could have simply been avoided if this client had followed our protocol and waited for an inspection by David ***** ( owner ) at which time the repair would have been assessed and probably fixed by now.

Instead, the ******* misrepresented the truth by calling our production manager and telling him David ***** ( owner ) authorized them to call him directly to have the floor repaired which he did not. This is the sole source for the entire mess and lack of cooperation by Budget Bath Inc.

In addition to this attempt to back door our typical service procedure, within only 10 days of contacting our office, the mooneys also filed complaints with ****** ***** ********* and **** also asking for resolution. Now we have four entities requesting documentation, explanations and responses to different claims of contractor malpractice. The tone of the ****** **** and ********* complaint is venomous, personal and inaccurate. Despite the loose facts of the complaint, it has had a negative affect on our flow of estimate requests from this advertising source which due to the nature and style of the review was it's designed intent. The reviews center on our company and not the actual problem. How can any resolution be had under such an obvious attack outside the scope of the issue ?

We were not motivated to respond with negative remarks and attacks on our credibility but the circumstances required a genuine response so we could try to recover from the damage to our reputation and integrity caused by the reckless emotional statements by the *******. I recognize their situation and possible fear of poor service and workmanship but that is not our history.

We have been doing bathrooms, including impressive tile, work for a long time. We have enough experience to know which product to use and where. We use the same product as we have for years for each unique situation. I caution the ******* on hiring another contractor to do the repair work, especially the two used for a repair assessment at **** ****** court. The terminology used in the ****** description of our work and product assessment is incorrect and it is possible that the new contractors are unqualified. It would be a waste to proceed with another contractor who does not know what or how or why we installed the products we did. They are repairing something they have no historical knowledge of. $ 5,000 to repair 6 loose tiles is kind of overzealous.

The pictures shown by the ******* does not resemble what I ( ***** ***** ) saw personally when I visited the **** ****** sight. I saw 4-6 loose tiles and all else was secure and solid. This repair would have taken a few hours. There is a discrepancy on who and what is responsible for the tiles coming loose.

The customer claims in their BBB complaint that
"we just want the floor fixed properly with no derogatory remarks." We are willing and have been prepared to examine, assess and repair any bathroom issue including the tile at no cost ( if it is a legitimate warranty issue ). However, the negative reviews and complaints on ****** ***** ********** BBB and the **** suggest this client wants much more than there floor repaired. Their motive is clearly to hurt our reputation and diminish our successful business anyway possible.

Despite the ******* claims and damage caused, we are still willing to discuss the circumstances and move on, possibly completing the repair once we are permitted to evaluate the tile floor through our normal process.

***** *****
per Budget Bath Inc.

08/01/2016Problems with Product / Service
07/26/2016Problems with Product / Service
01/13/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Shower Drain Not To Code
I hired this contractor to renovate my bathroom. I now find out he did not install the shower drain to DC code. There is no trap in the drain. The contract I signed with him indicates everything will be done to building codes, and this was not. Now I must have the shower floor ripped up and redone. He needs to pay for this.

I want him to pay for the cost of ripping up the shower floor (tile, pan and all) have the drain reinstalled correctly, and then retiled and all repaired to my satisfaction.

This client hired us to perform a complete bathroom renovation in a very old residential condo
multi-story building. The homeowner and I discussed getting permits which we were willing to do for an added cost of 495$ per trade. We agreed not to apply for permits. As the project developed, he also added an additional project in the main bedroom. The project turned out exceptional and is a beautiful space.
The project became very complex very quickly as we removed some drywall and exposed the original plumbing. We discovered that the concrete floor was about 6 inches thick and the ceiling of the unit below was only 2 feet away so cutting the concrete floor was not a safe option. To do so would involve an engineer and weeks of delays plus added costs in the thousands. In old buildings, everyone is forced to be creative and sometimes code requirements just do not apply. Building Codes are developed for new construction. We use our judgement and do what is best for the situation when making installations in extremely old buildings. The complaint is not about the entire job but rather it is a request for us to pay someone else to install a pvc drain trap. We did however install a pvc trap in the same location as the original tub.
The customer states that we did not, but we did and it is there. I have offered to come and look at the problem. I have offered some solutions to fixing the problem. Most of this building does not meet 2014 building codes yet Everything we did in the renovation does meet code as close as we can get it without jeopardizing the concrete floor slab or the safety of other tenants. Why sewer gas is occasionally seeping into the bathroom is a mystery yet I am willing to assist or help correct the problem. The client has not responded to my offer. I would never abandon my client and our reputation is impeccable. I have apologized for the inconvenience this has caused and I have offered several explanations as to why this might be happening even with a trap in place. The client explained that he had made this complaint in error so we have been waiting for an update.

Bathroom Remodeling, Kitchen Remodeling, Painting Contractors, Custom Tile Painting, Kitchen & Bath - Design & Remodeling, Cabinets, Bathroom Remodeling - Walk-In Tubs, Bathroom Accessories