Summer is a busy season for moving; BBB® of Fort Worth offers tips
As temperatures rise, so is the number of unlicensed movers looking to take advantage of unassuming consumers. In May 2014, Better Business Bureau of Fort Worth received more than 1,200 moving-related inquiries from consumers looking for trustworthy movers.
BBB of Fort Worth urges consumers to do their homework when it comes to picking a reputable moving company and offers these tips:
- Verify licenses with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (www.TxDMV.org) and Federal Motor Safety Administration (www.protectyourmove.gov). Never hire an unlicensed and uninsured mover.
- Check out their BBB Business Review (research the company’s customer history).
- Never accept a verbal quote or agreement. Get everything in writing, signed and dated.
- Read and understand the contract before signing.
- Verify the business has the company name and USDOT/TxDMV number printed on their trucks.
Know Your Rights:
- Movers are required by Texas law to provide you with a written proposal/estimate with a binding amount.
- A written contract must be signed before moving.
- Standard liability of 60 cents per pound per item. Some movers may offer the option to purchase an increased liability amount for goods or purchase of insurance.
- You must receive a brochure that outlines you Rights & Responsibilities under Texas law.
- You must receive another contract upon completion of move. Contract should include the total charge for the move; itemized list of charges; and method used to calculate charges.
- If original contract is altered, the company must write an amendment that outlines any additional charges and services which must be signed by both parties.
- If a mover attempts to hold your items hostage for additional payment not in your contract or threatens to not provide you with your items, contact your local police department.
Visit fwbbb.org for more tips, to check a business review, or file a complaint. Consumers can also call BBB of Fort Worth at (800) 621-8566, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.