John's Towing

12/23/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Tow truck forced trailer hitch assembly down bending receiver hitch and partial frame damage. Impossible to pull trailers
On Aug 6th I called AAA for a rollback to take my 4 wheel drive truck to ***********'s,I had lost my rear tire. Johns Towing came with a regular tow truck saying to pull backwards was fine. There was a VERY loud noise while hooking up. Going down Lynch there was several more loud noises him saying that's normal. Got to ************** went in to talk to ***, there was such a loud noise while my truck was being unhooked it turned a lot of heads. I went to see he said no problem but your fender might be able to be pulled out with little effort to look better. I went back after my truck that afternoon I was told I could not pull a trailer with the hitch. I said sure I can I just pulled one to and back from ********* last weekend.He said there is no way with how the hitch is bent down it will not latch.The next morning I had the techs from ******** ** center look at it. They said no way can that truck pull a trailer. I called John's the secretary told me *** the driver said let him know when I could come there and he would fix it for me. I was told it would not be that easy I took my truck to ******* Body shop on 1st ave,on Aug 11 for their opinion. I asked if they could give an amount that would be fair for Johns since I had been rear ended on the drivers rear bumper side in January. I wanted only damage from the tow truck estimated. He had pictures to compare and could see the damage to the hitch compared to Jan. That is what they wrote up. I called Johns I told them I would fax pictures and estimate the next day I did. I never heard back so I called today Aug 25 They had the secretary tell me they are not paying or fixing because I had previous damage. I was totally open and honest with these people not asking for more than they are responsible for.

They can pay me the $1000.45 that has been estimated for the repairs that their tow truck did to my hitch assembly ruining my ability to perform any duties with my trailers and being so mean by even hinting I'm not being fair really hurts my feelings since I did my best to be very fair. I am not crying for down time or extra of any source just what they owe.
Also I will never allow anyone to say a regular tow is okay when I needed a rollback.

In answer to the complaint - 1st of all, AAA informed us that she had been rear ended in ***** ***** in January of this year - with that being said, when our driver got there, he noticed damage from where her wheel came off. He put the truck up in the sling & proceeded to take it to ************* The popping noise that she refers to is the chains that were hooked up to the sling tighting up because of the missing tire due to broken off studs. She says that while at ************ he was unhooking there was a loud noise & she went to see what it was, she was behind the tow truck with the driver & if there had been a problem with the hitch, why didn't she see it then? She says that the hitch was bent downward, if the tow truck had bent it, it would have been bent up & it would have taken a hard hit to do it. There was & isn't any damage to the tow truck. If the hitch had hit the truck, it would have damaged the truck which is fiberglass & would have torn it up - once again there is no damage to the truck. When she called the shop & talked to the Secretary all she said was that the driver bent the hitch & she was told to bring it by & he would fix it. She didn't tell the Secretary that she thought that we damaged the frame also. She took the vehicle to ***** Body Shop & got an estimate for the damages she is saying that we did, but when *** (the driver) called & talked to *** at ****** he said that there was no way that we could have done that damage, that she would have to have been hit fairly hard to have that kind of damage to bend the hitch down & to bend the frame. She states that she had pictures of the damage in January & compared them to the new damage. When my driver dropped off her truck at ************ her hitch was not bent. We do not know what happened there to her truck or afterwards until she took it to ***** but John's Towing is not responsible for the damage. Even AAA complaint department could not find any reason to hold us responsible for the damage. For all we know, she could have been backed into anywhere or she could have backed into something & is just wanting a fall guy for the damages. Also, a wrecker can tow pretty much anything that a rollback can. That is what the sling is for & there are also dollies that can be used.

I was totally honest and upfront about everything to do with my truck. I told *** about it when he arrived, that only the side was damaged from the tire and the bumper from a Jan. rear end in TerraHaute. After I spoke with John's without resolution I felt I had to call AAA to complain,I told them everything,they did not know about the Jan. mishap because I did not have to use them,it was a S 10 pick up, I was able to drive back to Evansville.
Yes there was a Very loud noise at the rear of the truck at Lynch and an even louder noise at *************** the softer ones were on the way down Lynch.When we arrived at ************** I went inside to see if it was an okay spot to leave it and if they could fix it today or if I needed to make other arrangements, that's when the loudest noise happened. I went back out *** said he was helping them so they could get jacks under it rather than sit it on the pavement and told me he thought my fender could be fixed rather easy with the right tools. I was only worried about what I tore up on my wheel and how much damage I did to the brakes and drum.
When I returned that afternoon to get my truck I was told I could not pull a trailer with that hitch,my response was sure I can I just took my utility trailer up to my sons to get a new floor put in.
Until I spoke with other tow truck drivers I did not understand how this happened, now I do. I made every effort to make sure I was fair and open about all information that's why I took my truck to Mill's. I had no thought of the frame until ******** ** tech's and ******* frame guys checked under the truck.
I only want my trailer hitch right and able to pull again, I have a utility trailer I use to haul my lawnmower and yard tools when they need to be taken to ********* for my son to fix and to haul equipment for special work days at church.
When I first spoke with Johns they acknowledged the damage and said the driver could fix it, after the pictures I sent and realizing there was frame damage and the driver had to pay 500.00 deductible now its not their fault. I would ask that the BBB make a decision regarding a BBB member, John's towing, as they have clearly damaged my vehicle and will not take responsibility for their actions.
Allowing this company to get away with no responsibility when my truck hitch was clearly damaged by the driver is improper and negligent.

Information taken via phone: *** *******
Information given via phone: ***** ****

Ms. **** states:

We stand by our original response. The only thing we can add is that after receiving her claim for damages, and realizing that the amount was much greater than the cost of fixing the hitch, **** and the driver went to visit Ms. *********. They tried to explain why John's Towing wasn't responsible for the damage caused that she's claiming.

Towing - Automotive, Fuel - Gasoline, Locks & Locksmiths, Tire Changing Equipment