BBB Accredited Business since 06/15/2006

Given & Spindler, Inc.

08/29/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Given and Spindler grossly misrepresented their apartment complex, knowing they would be selling it to a low income property.
I filled out an application and placed a deposit on an apartment at Eden East, unknowing they were selling the property to a low income tax property. The owners, ***** and ********, have known about this sale for over a year, and knew the date of the sale for over a month. They did not inform applicants of the sale, knowing that some applications would be turned away after the sale of the property due to not meeting the income requirements. The non-refundable application fee will not be returned to me. This is a gross misrepresentation used in order to profit off me. I was informed 14 days before my scheduled move-in date that I could no longer move in to my apartment. This means that I, and my unborn child, will be homeless come August 15. I attempted to contact Given and Spindler to resolve this and was spoken to in a demeaning manner, threatened, and hung up on. I am pregnant and now have no place to live. Given and Spindler have taken my $70 and will now cost me even more to find a new apartment with more application fees and another deposit. Due to the sale of the property going to a tax credit company I would have never even attempted to fill out an application. I know that I make too much money to qualify for government housing assistance, but that does not mean I make enough money to throw away application fees and deposits on apartments. Especially on an apartment that I know I will be turned away from. Given and Spindler did not even communicate with their leasing agents at Eden East of this sale. They have lied to their employees and prospective tenants. I am the only applicant that was turned away. I am entitled to my $70 refund, or a copy of the background and credit check "they did" with my $70.

I just want my $70 application fee refunded.

Given & Spindler Management Company has issued the application fee for $70.00 in the form of a check ******** The check was mailed on 08/15/14

06/25/2012Problems with Product / Service