BBB Accredited Business since 08/16/2012

Rent-A-Plumber, Inc.

06/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company advertised Free Estimates and did not honor their advertising. Demanded $93 and threatened to sue me.
We were having issues with our water heater, uncertain what was wrong with it. I looked in my local ********* IN phone book for plumbers. I like to work with companies in my local community. Rent A Plumber had good sized ad that caught my attention and advertised, "Free Estimates". I called, left a message and the owner called back. I told him we were having issues and needed someone to look at our water heater. He said he would send someone out in a few hours. He never mentioned to me there would be a charge involved or that he no longer offered Free Estimates. We have never had a water heater go out or even had much need of plumbing services. I had no idea that the Free Estimates would not be honored. He had two service people show up, they were nice enough at first. They looked at water heater, attempted to drain and came to the conclusion that it needed to be replaced. I asked for pricing and was given a quick number of $650.00. I had gotten a price from Home Depot for the same water heater, price for just the unit, it was about $350, I felt the price that was thrown out there by the service person was too high and I was being taken advantage of. It does not cost $300 to install a water heater. I told them I wanted to think about it and maybe get another estimate. He became agitated and told me I owed them $93.00. I was very surprised at this demand as their ad said "Free Estimates". I told the service person I was not going to pay them $93.00. They had only been at my home 20 minutes and I had the understanding their estimate was free. I was then told the estimate is only free if we do the work. The agitated service person called his boss, the owner and put me on the cell with the owner. I explained I was under the impression the estimate was free. He yelled at me and told me that was an old ad and they no longer do Free Estimates. Again, at the time I spoke to him on the phone in my initial conversation, he never mentioned a fee or that they did not do Free Estimates any longer. The owner then began to tell me he was calling his attorney that day and would begin proceedings to sue me. I told him to go ahead, I have the phone book and ad in my possession. I felt really bad and wanted to be sure I had not missed something. I went back to my phone book ad and reread it. No expiration date on the ad or qualifying statements regarding estimate being free as long as they do the work. Phone book was from April of 2013, the only ******** phone book we have. I truly feel this owner had the responsibility of informing me of any charges that would be associated with his Rent-A-Plumber service people visiting my home and giving me an estimate. I'm very certain I'm not the first person to call in response to the Free Estimate Ad and sure I won't be the last. Knowing that an ad stating Free Estimates is still in circulation and in peoples homes, this business owner has a responsibility to inform customers at first contact that he intends to charge them a substantial fee for very little time. It was also very concerning to me the manner in which this owner spoke to me. Yelling at me on the phone and threatening to sue me? I really feel this is an unsavory character and I'm afraid if I don't pay per his demand, I'm afraid he might do something to my home or property. We have never had any sort of service work done that was not paid for as agreed. It's very upsetting to me that business owners behave this way, the owner clearly did not understand what he was doing when he originally put his ad in the ******** phone book. He very clearly does not understand that he is responsible to inform potential clients what his rate and or fee will be to give an estimate. I received an invoice in the mail yesterday, May 14th, 2014 requesting payment and threatening to sue me again! I can only imagine how this company has intimidated other home owners. This kind of practice needs to stop.

I don't feel I owe this company any fee. Had I been informed of the charges to come and give me an estimate, that the estimate was not Free, I would not have had this company come to my home to look at my water heater. I chose this company because they offered a free estimate in their advertising. If requested I have the phone book and ad and will provide to the owner if he wants to see it. I do believe he is well aware of the ad.

We went on service call for no hot water, the service technician determined the problem was element and heavy build up of calcium in water heater and told customer he recommended changing water heater and gave her a price to change, she did not want to change water heater and we have a one hour minimum charge for service and diagnosstic work, the customer said she was not paying and would not sign ticket or pay, we took out free estimates out of our ads over two years because some people take advantage of this, I explained to the customer when she told me she was not paying that we do not do free estimates on diagnostic work or service work and never have, we no longer advertise free estimates, bottom line is the customer called for a plumbing problem and now does not want to pay so as far as I am concerned if the invoice is not paid it will be turned over to the lawyers

09/04/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

***** ******* was scheduled to be at my house for service at a certain time. Didnot show up, was rude, lied to me, & hung up on me. BAD business!
Rent-a-plumber came out to my house to fix a leak. They said the leak was not under my house it was in the main line for me to dig a ditch 2 feet deep they said from the water meter to my house. I paid them and said I would let them know when it is done. I had my land marked, rented a trencher completed the 2 feet deep and called them to schedule an appointment. I made the appointment at 8:30 so I can get my son off to school and still have time to work my night shift at ****** ****** I got my son off to school, my neighbor has been watching this all in the process and said he would move his truck so they can get in the driveway. I waited outside and red a book from 8:00 am to 8:50 am, right by the drive-way and the area to be worked on. When I noticed what time it was, I came inside to call as to why they were not here. ***** ******* answered the phone and I asked if they were coming, he said we have already been there with two truck and knocked and no one answered. I said at what time, he said 8:30, I said I have been out there in a chair reading right next to the site. Out of no where, he yells I dont have to be talked to like that. I really wondered where that statement was coming from because, I was not rude, did not use any foal language, and did not yell. His statement left me confused. Because I just stated the facts, I was out there, my neighbors were as well, my brother was in my house, no one came. Then he said you can find someone else. I told him there was no reason how I was spoken to that I will be reporting it to the builders association and he hung up on me. I then called right back to get his name. I found his practices that of a bad business, I have been seeing more and more business using poor ethics, however, this time it is the owner not the employee. Which is even a worse case scenario. I was in the Evansville builders association for 12 years and never have I witnessed this kind of poor business ethics, complete rudeness, and flat out lie. Now my yard looks like a construction site area with piles of dirt per the request, my son, disabled brother, and myself have no water. I have college and care for people with disabilities at my work and do not have time to deal with people with childish unethical behaviors. I will make sure this company and the situation I have endured is known all through out southern Indiana. Which will also be said about in my speech at college on business and ethics. I will also contact the city departments on this matter if anything is said about my yard looking like a construction site. Please make sure this information is known to other consumers so they may not endure this same kind of situation and I will do the same with my connections here. I think it is about time I make a website on business and the ethics they display to the taxpayers, workers, caregivers and people of this nation. I thank the BBB for caring for the people that make this nation what it is. God Bless you.

There is nothing that his rudeness and lie can take away from. I request that all compliance of good and bad be made public for the people in our society to see. I would also like an apology and to be assured that the manners displayed will not happen to any one else in the future.

We were scheduled to be at this house at around 8:30 in the morning and my employee arrived at approximately 8:30 and I arrived just a few minutes later, we knocked on the door and received no answer and waited a few minutes, then we moved on to our next jobs. Approximately 9:00 I received a call and the customer said we had a appointment at 8:30 and is someone still going to come, I told her we were there and did not get a answer when we knocked on the door and she started yelling at me calling me a liar and that nobody came to her house she was reading a book in the front yard, I told her again that we were there and didn't receive a answer and she kept calling me a liar, so I told her to just call another company.

Plumbers