In El Paso, TX

BBB Accredited Business since 02/13/1987

A C Cyn Mar Pool Plastering Co Inc

12/02/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Disputed warranty coverage and/or terms

Complaint: This company replastered my swimming pool and warranteed the plaster would not leak for three years from 12-5-11. It has leaked since March 2012.
The replastering of my pool was completed on 12-5-11 and the company paid by credit card $9070. $3500 of that amount was for the replastering. In March 2012 the pool was leaking and I found a 46 inch crack near the steps. The pool was losing 3" of water a day which equates to 2154 gallon loss. It took the company several weeks to come and put pool putty on the crack. The water loss slowed but then increased again. The secretary promised to fix the leak more permanently but did not. In *** I requested they at least come back and re-putty the leak. The company promised to come but did not and then stopped returning calls. In June I sent an email to the company requesting they honor their warranty of the plastering being water tight for three years. Finally on June 26, 2012 the secretary came and puttied the crack.

The company vacillated from promising to fix the problem to blaming it on the crack starting in the tile (which they did not replace) and running into the plaster. Then they said that the cinder block construction of my pool was structurally not sound. There was no crack in the tile nor any leaking in the pool when they started the job. I told them that if they felt my pool was structurally unsound they should have told me that before finishing the replaster job. They again promised to fix the problem but said it would be awhile as summer was their busy season.

November 26, 2012 still no repair - the secretary told me it would be some time in January 2013. In the next several months there were varying excuses. On June 5, 2013 the secretary texted me that "****** is the only one who does the strut rural crack repair I have not been able to pull him from the crew yet hope in about two weeks."

On October 2, 2013 I texted the secretary that I had been more than patient but I needed a date for the repairs to my pool plastering. On October 3, 2013 the secretary texted my that "** will be working up in Las Cruces next week I will send him to drain pool and do the repair keep in mind and I know you are frustrated we did not build you pool! It is a cinder black pool with no rebar for structural strength!!! I show you the crack came from your existing tile grout and it is not our fault the structure could not handle the draining and the re filling of the pool! Pool's are made with 3/8 rebar cage and 12 inches of concrete through out not cinder block!!!! I went several times and fill in that crack by the steps look at the contract! Water is heavy we do the best we can on what we are dealt with. I am waiting a phone call from the leak repair place..I am not sure we can to the injection on cinder black my husband brought that to my attention last night."(sic)

In the last two weeks the pool has been losing more water and I can see that the same crack has run another 14 inches or so. This company failed to show up last week or call me.

After all these delays and vacillations and blaming the tile and then the pool construction, I can only think they are not going to do the repairs.

***** has a home made pool made out of cinder blocks built about 40 years ago. It had years and years of paint on the surface we had no idea it was a cinder block pool until we remove the painted surface. She was showed this and on concerns on the pool. We did remove and replace the badly cracked deck and re-plaster the swimming pool.
A few months after plastering the pool ***** called about a crack that develop on the corner edge of the poo by the steps. I went out and put underwater pool putty in the crack. I show her where there was also a crack in the grout in the tile line we did not replace the tile. I was not sure if that what started the crack or just the fact that it was an old cinder block pool that had beeen drained many times and re filled and the cinder blocks were going bad and could not handle the re fill of the water .. the pool expanse and contracts each time a pool is empty and refilled water weighs a lot. One gallon of water weighs five pounds on an average 15,000 gallon pool this is 75,000 pounds that you put in and take out.. I went out three times and fill in the crack. I never promise that the pool would not leak for three years! My contract states that I warranty for three years that the pool will be smooth and have a maintainable surface and be water tight. It a pool develop's a structural problem like a crack we have no control over this! It is cracked through the cinder blocks! Which has cracked through the plaster and is leaking through the crack! Plaster has no structural strength it is a maintainable surface only. It is a smooth 1/8 coating apply to the surface of the pool structure. I do not know how to repair her cinder blocks crack! I can only put pool putty in the cracks which seams to hold for a little while. My contract state's I do not warranty structural cracks or any damage to the pool structure from draining and re filling. I did not build her pool! Pool's are built out 12 inches of concrete and a rebar structure cage..which her pool does not have. Cinder blocks have none of this. They are precast masonry product with hallow cavities which are held together with mortar. Her pool could not handle the emptying and refilling ...her pool is in the water table by the Rio Grande river and they irrigate regularly which also play's a part in weakling her pool. I am part owner of the company not the secretary as ***** states. I explain all of this to her over and over. I told her my concern's on the pool so did my husband she knew this when we remove the paint... We hid nothing from her. We work on in ground concrete pools which she stated she had! I called a manufacture that we buy our leak repair products from he states we can not use this process has it is a cinder block pool and may cause more damage to the cinder blocks has we have to drill into the structure and inject a product into the crack he told me it would not work.. So we are stuck all i can do is put more pool putty in. I am scare to drain this pool that it will develop more issues that are beyond our control.

I would very much like ****** ******* to put an epoxy crack filler in my pool as soon as possible. At this point I don't care that it will not match the blue color. I will sign a release regarding any new cracks that might occur from "the draining process".

I can only wonder why you would not have had me sign a release about structural concerns with my cinder block pool. I am a lay person when it comes to pools and telling me only that my pool is made from cinder blocks does not tell me that it might be unsound or that you felt it was unsound. You say yourself that you have "done others in the pass (sic) with no problems."

I will wait for you to contact me with a date for the epoxy crack filler.

***** *******

We will go back and fill in crack for ***** . I will contract her when I can get her on schedule . Like any pool structure we did not build there is alway a chance they can not handle the consent draining and refilling .It is stated on all my contract's> I will in future because of this situation make every custom sign a additional clause stating this in the future! *********

10/11/2011Problems with Product / Service

Swimming Pool Contractors, Dealers, Design, Swimming Pool Service & Repair, Swimming Pool Equipment & Supplies