In El Paso, TX

BBB Accredited Business since 11/09/1955

GECU

8 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

11/18/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to provide promised assistance or support for products or services

Complaint: I was informed that I would get an extension on my vehicle loan via phone; however, once at the branch I was informed otherwise.
On 10/10/2013 I called the GECU Loan Collections Department to ask for an extension on my vehicle loan. I was requesting such extension since I had already fallen behind since June when my father-in-law passed **** and both my wife and I had to cover funeral expenses. I was about to fall even more behind due to the government shutdown (I am a federal employee with DHS) when I spoke to a very helpful person by the name of ******. She explained that they would be able to help as **** as I gave one payment and I would skip the payment that was already due. ****** explained that I just had to into a branch, give the payment, go and speak with a representative, and for them to call Loan Services in order to get the extension. I explained to ****** that I wouldn't be able to go into a location until Tuesday since I wasn't off until then and Monday was a Holiday and they were closed. She said that it was OK and that she was going to notate the account of such information. I asked if that was all I needed to do and she said yes. When I went in on Tuesday morning (10/15) the representative called Loan Services and they informed her that the ONLY way for the extension was with them running my credit. I asked why this had to be done and they explained that it was a new policy to do everytime an extension is requested and the loan is 15+ days past due (the 15th day was Saturday the 12th). If I would have been informed of such procedure I would have made time to go Friday or Saturday before work (I work evenings 2pm-2am) in order to avoid that process. I delcined for them to run my credit since my wife and I are in process of purchasing a home and such inquiry could possibly disrupt such process.

GECU strives to provide stellar service for all of our 300,000+ members. We are pleased that we were able to work closely with our member to find a solution that meets his needs and complies with applicable laws and rules.

05/23/2013Advertising / Sales Issues