In El Paso, TX

Texas Custom Body & Paint

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

02/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Defective, damaged, or incorrect product received

Complaint: Failure to cover gas tank inlet and fuel pump resulting in fuel pump problem
On Dec. 12 2013, parts of my Yamaha R1 were taken to Texas Custom Body and Paint to be painted Titanium grey for the amount of $500. After receiving the parts back from paint and installing them back on my bike. I experienced problems with my bike. When riding my bike it kept stalling. Previous to having my bike painted i never had any problems at all. i took the bike on Jan 3rd 2014 to Viva Powersports to diagnose the problem. I was told by the technician that the fuel pump is clogged due to the fact that paint is in the gas tank. The painter clearly did not cover the gas tank inlet which is normal protocol when painting gas tanks. I took the bike, cleaned the gas tank let which was full of paint and drained all the gas that was in the tank. After still experiencing the same issue, i returned the bike to Viva Powersports on Jan 4th 2013. The master technician then took apart the gas tank and noticed the the fuel pump and strainer was full of Titanium grey paint. The technician advised that i get a new fuel pump. I then went to Texas Custom Body and Paint and spoke with the owner. I advised him what problem was and he said that did not paint the tank inlet and there is nothing he can do. I returned on Jan 6th 2014 with the pump to show the owner the mistake the bodyshop had made and pictures showing that the take inlet was in fact painted. After showing the owner the pump he came to the conclusion that the flakes on the strainer were not in fact paint but that is was lint. He also stated that the paint would dissolve with gas and then demonstrated by putting one end of the fuel pump into paint thinner. The paint chips went to the bottom of the bowl as the paint would at the bottom of the tank. He still said he would not pay for a new pump even though there was solid evidence showing the paint has caused damage to my fuel pump. I have pictures and can provide a statement from Viva Powersports to confirm the damage.

Texas custom body and paint had painted some parts for Mr. greens girl friend. the parts were painted and the gas tank was brought with out the spout, we paint the tank as a hole unit to make sure the paint covers all the area that might show. due to the missing spout not on the tank the tank was painted complete to assure the coverage was complete. he came back two weeks later and said his bike was not working and that paint had gotten in the fuel system. He showed me the fuel pump with a filter that was clogged with hair particles and lint, the tank where the fuel goes in had some red paint where he says he cleaned the silver paint we painted. i took him with my tech and the first question he ask was who installed it and he said it was his girl friend. He then told him that if a person with experience should have caught or seen paint in the edge of the spout and the tech should have cleaned it but it was installed with paint on the tip.I tried to show him that the filter serves one purpose and thats to keep any foreign object from going in the fuel system my tech told him all he had to do was change the filter that was clogged and the filter was available at the dealer for around 9.00 but he insisted in replacing the complete fuel pump we tried to explain that the pump was working and he agreed on that but for some reason wanted the hole pump my mechanic even asked him that he would change the filter and to bring it back to check it and show him it will work but he never came back. My mechanic owns his own business called Auto Masters.

01/25/2012Problems with Product / Service