BBB Accredited Business since 12/01/2006

B&G Air Conditioning Inc

11/16/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Billed for three service calls for a single call for service. $82 per hour per trip, requested a refund for 2 x $82= $164.
On the morning of Thursday August 6, I called B&G Air Conditioning to request a service charge. I was told a technician would be dispatched that afternoon, and I would receive a confirmation call beforehand. I was informed of a minimum charge of $82 to diagnose the problem, and any repairs would be additional. By 4pm, I had not received a call, so I called back to B&G. The phones are evidently forwarded to service techs after hours, and the tech told me he had no record of my call for service, and could not come until the following morning, even though it was approx. 4pm. By 11:30am on Friday, August 7, I called B&G to confirm I was on their schedule. I spoke with the same woman who had confirmed by appointment the previous day. She confirmed someone would arrive on Friday. When the tech arrived, within one minute he diagnosed the dual run/start capacitor had failed, and installed a replacement part. I paid the invoice for the $82 minimum plus $110 for the capacitor (approx. 300% mark up from wholesale cost). My house was extremely hot after two days without AC. The system worked for approx. 2.5 hours, then failed again. At approximately 3pm, I called B&G to request a callback by the technician. While the original capacitor was bad, clearly the tech had not diagnosed the full scope of the problem. I received no answer at B&G, so I left a message explaining the situation. I did not receive a return call. I purchased a similar capacitor for $30 and installed it. By 7pm, after not receiving a return call from B&G, I tried calling again. Being after hours, the call was eventually answered by a technician. I was told I was on his schedule for Saturday morning, and that he should arrive approximately 9am. By 11am, after hearing nothing from B&G, I called again. The tech confirmed he would arrive within 30 minutes. After explaining the situation, the tech (not the same tech as Friday) determined that the condenser motor was overheating. My contention is the first tech dispatched should have diagnosed this problem, had he spent more than one minute on troubleshooting. The second tech ordered a replacement part, but the distributor was already closed on Saturday, so I was informed that the part could not be picked up until Monday morning. Monday morning came and went without hearing from B&G. I called early in the afternoon to B&G, and was told the tech would arrive after eating lunch. He arrived with the motor, but found it defective upon opening the carton. He had to return to the distributor to exchange the motor. Upon returning and installing the motor, I was presented with an invoice for $82 for the callback trip on Saturday, $82 for the trip on Monday, and $250 for the motor (approx. 250% markup from wholesale). I mildly objected to the two $82 charges from Saturday and Monday, since they were callback requests, but paid the invoice. I wrote a letter to the owner requesting a refund of $164, and explained the less than stellar customer service received with the scheduling confirmation and phone messaging. I did not receive the courtesy of any correspondence or phone call from the owner. I do not like to submit such complaints, and have never done so until now. I feel that, considering the healthy markups on the parts along with one $82 charge for labor, that B&G would still be making a healthy profit. Since the two extra trips were not necessary had the first tech looked at the motor, I feel I have been unjustly charged $164

Refund of $164 from the invoice amount of $606 plus tax.

I find the response unacceptable for the following reasons:
1) The business explanation related to the first technician's conversation with me is not accurate. The technician told me that the two most common failures are a) the capacitor, and b) the motor, and that the capacitor is less costly to repair. The technician showed me the exterior damage to the capacitor. Once the tech replaced the capacitor, there was no evaluation of the motor performed.
2) The explanation from the business doesn't pass the test of reason: Why would anyone, in the extreme high temperatures of August, not authorize a repair recommended by the technician?
3) The business' explanation ignores the phone call I made to the business only a few hours after the tech replaced the capacitor, reporting the unit was still not functioning properly.
4) The explanation from the business ignores the issue of: if the second technician could detect the issue with the motor, why didn't the first tech detect the same issue?
5) The explanation from the business ignores the fact that on each of the three visits, neither technician spent more than 30-minutes on site.
6) The explanation from the business implies that I was not charged for the Saturday visit, and this explanation is contrary to the explanation received from the second technician at the time he presented the second invoice. The technician told me I was being charge $82 for Saturday and $82 for Monday.
7) The explanation from the business ignores the lack of basic customer service in scheduling of the service, not returning my phone calls, not answering my initial letter to the owner.

Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems, Air Conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Mechanical Contractors