Christenson Exteriors

02/09/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

On May 29, 2014 and June 10, 2014, I gave *********** Exteriors $6000 for half of the following work scope: remove existing windows in sunroom, reframe and replace with ******** from ****** ******* and reframe and replace existing door with a wider door. The work was to begin on July 3. CE made no attempt to communicate with me in July and when I contacted ***** ***********, he informed me that the windows had not yet been ordered. They would take six weeks to arrive. In late August, I informed ***** that I was going on holiday in early September and returning early October. I offered him the option of starting in August or starting in October. We agreed that he would start upon my return.

On October 6, *********** Exteriors arrived on my property to begin the work. ***** informed me that he forgot to order my new door so I would have to make do with a temporary door until the new door was ready. Work began with window removal and framing. On October 13, I measured the openings for the new windows and found that they were too small. I emailed ***** and told him. Within a few days, he discovered that he had made a mistake with the order and ordered the wrong size windows, custom sized rather than the standard size I had requested. This was a critical mistake because one of the windows is needed for legal egress. There ensued a couple of weeks of back and forth- ***** suggesting that I take one of the windows and let him install a french door to provide legal egress. I considered this suggestion but in the end maintained my original requested window size. CE eventually installed the new door and, at my request, restored the existing gutter and wrapped the building paper around an exposed corner. Still, four weeks after being told that he had mis-ordered the windows, he had still not ordered the correct size windows (I checked with the window company).

On November 18, ***** sent me an invoice listing the cost of the framing and the new door but incorrectly indicating that I had only given him a $2500 deposit therefore suggesting that I owed CE $2827.70. The following day, I verified with the ****** window dealer that he had not yet ordered the new windows. Then, on 19 November, I emailed ***** and told him that he owed me $672.30, based on the actual deposit of $6000 (both the cheque for $5000 and the one for $1000 had been cashed in June). In the same email, I indicated that because he has not yet ordered the proper sized windows, four weeks after the mistake was identified, I no longer had faith that he intended to complete this job in a timely fashion. I have not heard from ***** *********** or Christenson Exteriors since that time.

I am seeking my own money: the partial refund of the deposit that I gave Christenson Exteriors to the tune of $672.30: the difference between what I gave them in May/June and what they indicated to me in November what they actually spent.

We ordered the windows that were on the contract. When we made the rough openings for the windows the client noticed they were not to the size that she wanted. I was trying to resolve this between the window company, the client and ourselves with each of us accepting some responsibility for the added cost for the windows. The window company was not responsive. When I tried to get payment for the work that we had completed, the client said she did not feel confident in our ability to complete the job and cancelled the rest of the work, leaving us with windows that she did not want and an outstanding invoice for work that we completed. By my calculations she owes us $2,827.70.

I clearly stated the window size that was required and do not see why I need to take responsibility for contractor ordering a 76" wide window versus a 7'6" wide window, etc. Neither the window company or I have any responsibility for a mistake like that. You invoiced me and mistakenly indicated that I had only given you a $2500 deposit. If you go back into your files, you will see that I have given you $5000+$1000= $6000 not $2500. ***********************************************************************************************************************************

I ordered the windows that were on the contract. Yes these were the wrong windows. I accept some but not all the blame for ordering the wrong windows. I would propose splitting the cost of the new windows in 3 and each of the parties pay one third of the cost of the new windows. The cost of the new windows is $2,961.00 and a third is $987.00. So your cost would be $987.00.

Siding Contractors, Windows, Storm Windows & Doors, Doors - Installation, Doors, Window Capping, Windows - Remodelling, Windows - Installation & Service, Home Builders, Contractors - General