BBB Accredited Business since 24/03/1999

Crowley's Jewellers & Goldsmiths

07/18/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

On April 18,2003 I purchased a diamond ring from Crowley's Jewellers. I have the original receipt, the diamond guarantee and appraisal which was provided at the time of purchase.
On the diamond guarantee #9 states "At any time, on presentation of this guarantee, you may exchange your present diamond ring(s) for a higher-priced diamond ring (s). You receive full credit for the diamond paid for your original purchase." The receipt shows the purchase price - minus GST - to be in the amount of $7850.46.
I have been going into Crowley's for month trying to get answers as I want to upgrade my diamond for my 40th anniversary. Last Wednesday, July 3, 2013 I insisted I wouldn't wait any longer and the manager, **** said she would talk to the owner. She stated to me that they no longer gave the trade-in option to customers but I responded that this was the policy when I purchased my ring. Since the new owner had kept the name I felt she had accepted all guarantees and policies in place at the time of the business changing hands. **** had my ring checked by the jeweller and my diamond was in perfect condition. I had taken my ring to another jeweller to ensure it was perfect before I went into Crowley's.
On July 5, 2013 **** called me to say she had discussed the situation with the owner and she had been told they would not honor the policy. Apparently one of the reasons was that my diamond was not as valuable after the Free Trade agreement, which incidentially was signed in January 1988. I purchased my ring in April 2003. The owner suggested they would sell my ring on consignment in their store for $5500 or I could sell it privately,perhaps on kijiji.

I want them to honor the guarantee and policy and credit me with the original purchase price of $7850.46 to be put towards a larger purchase.

It is difficult for me to address *******'s concerns
without first saying that I completely agree with her! The Crowley's
Jeweller's guarantee is one of the most solid in our jewellery
community and as with all guarantees, it has morphed and evolved
over the years to reflect such issues as GST/HST, shifting world
currencies, country of origin taxation and, modifications for items
such as custom designs which have very high unrecoverable labour
charges.
However, none of today's business realities can alter the intent
of the guarantee that was in place at the time of the customer's
purchase. *******'s request of asking Crowley's Jewellers to honour
a written agreement that was in effect over a decade ago, is hard to
defend and we are more than happy to do so.
There is some name and detail confusion that has occurred with this issue and I will personally ensure as the President of Crowley's Jewellers, I will be happy to give ******* the credit of her diamond ring toward purchasing something that will truly honour the special milestone of forty years of marriage.
I will personally handle all aspects of the trade in process from the inspection of the item being traded towards the choosing of the exciting new Crowley's Jewellers ring designs that I understand she has already fallen in love with.

I wanted Crowleys to honor their policy which they seemed to have agreed to do so and at this time we just are trying to make arrangements to continue with the process.

Jewelers - Retail, Pearls, Jewelry Engravers, Jewelry Designers, Jewelry Buyers, Jewelers - Wholesale, Jewelry Repair, Wedding Supplies & Services, Watches - Dealers, Diamonds, Silversmiths & Goldsmiths