Tyler & Longview TX Serving 19 East Texas Counties

BBB Accredited Business since 11/01/1991

Murphey The Jeweler

11/28/2011Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Repair Complaint Issue

Complaint: Repair to ring-less than two months later, same problem, different stone.
In late July or early August of 2011, took ring to Murpheys to have a diamond replaced, check mounting of other stones, and resize. I was quoted $533.67. I decided not to resize. On 8/4/11 paid $312.84 for the repairs. Later took ring back to have resized..paid $495.79 on 9/29/11. This was $274.96 more than original quote in August (increase in gold price?)
Later on 11/2/11 I noticed another diamond was missing. I took back to Murpheys. They said it was a differnt stone that was missing. Told them I realized that, but they were to have checked all the prongs when I brought to them the first time. They said that since the diamond that was missing had only two prongs that anything that the ring "snagged on" could break the prong and they weren't responsible. I explained again that they were to have checked all the prongs when I brought it in originally. They took my ring to the back(out of my sight) and came back some time later with paperwork and stated "See, these are the prongs we replaced, which is not the one that is broken. Regardless of which one they say they replaced, I originally brought the ring in to have the diamond replaced AND to check the other prongs to make sure that I wouldn't lose another stone. I had worn this ring for over 20 years. I can't understand how I could lose another stone so shortly after they were to have repaired.
I was very upset about the remarks of not being under warranty, etc.
I didn't stay in the store to demand some sort of resolution to this problem as I was so upset that I might have said or done things out of my normal caracter. There was a total of $808.63 paid for repair of a ring that I still will not wear because of fear of losing additional stones because of their neglect.

Thank you for allowing Murphey the Jeweler the opportunity to respond to accusations that we have been negligent. We always strive to exceed customer expectations, not fall short of them. From reviewing the complaint, we have determined that there are two areas of dissatisfaction from our customer: pricing and warranty of repairs. I believe that each of the misunderstandings can be explained and a favorable outcome can be agreed upon by both parties.

Our customer's first concern is the difference in the price quoted the first time she came in (July 2011) and the price she was quoted when she returned and approved the work done in August and September 2011. In July, Murphey the Jeweler was pricing repairs based on gold prices of $1050 per ounce from November 2009. When our customer returned to have the work done, Murphey the Jeweler had made the very difficult decision to raise repair prices to reflect gold prices of $1500 per ounce. Unfortunately, we had to pass along some of the increase to our customers since we had been absorbing it for almost 2 years.

The second and most important concern is the belief that Murphey the Jeweler was negligent by not being able to predict the loss of the customer's diamond after other repairs were done to the ring. This is a valid concern that anyone might have after such extensive work was performed. The ring in question has several diamonds with only 2 prongs holding them in place. Any stone that has only two prongs holding them in place is at a much higher risk of stone loss than a stone which has at least four prongs. Even with our skilled and experienced jewelers inspecting and securing these stones, we do not insure their safety because of their very high "at-risk" status. Our policy clearly states our warranty on each and every receipt our customers receive(a copy can be included with this file if needed). In addition, the ring is twenty years old and is a wedding ring that is probably worn almost constantly. It is sometimes helpful to think of jewelry repairs like car repairs: If you took your car to the tire repair store to have 1 flat repaired and all other tires checked, would they be liable if you got a flat tire on a different tire than the one that was repaired the next day?

We hope this helps our customer understand why our staff would not agree to repair the ring at no charge. It is clearly not covered under our warranty because of the way it was originally made. However, we have decided to offer our customer the repair and diamond replacement at no charge this time. Murphey the Jeweler does not believe any of its employees were negligent either on purpose or by accident, but we strive to satisfy our customers as often as we can.

The consumer indicated he/she ACCEPTED the response from the business.)
Prior to the loss of the last diamond, I was not aware of a two prong setting being at a "much higher risk of stone loss than a stone which has at least four prongs." This was not explained at the time of purchase (through another store) nor was it explained during repairs. I can't think of anything that I would have done differently as far as wearing the ring. I don't do work that would be abusive to the ring. Even when I have the stone replaced, I will not be able to enjoy the ring as I have in the past for fear of losing a stone again.
The example of the tire repairs was very good, but another way of thinking of it is:
If you took your car in with a flat tire and you saw it was a nail, wouldn't you expect the repairman to remove the nail,check to make sure there were no other nails?
I might could understand losing another stone from my ring IF I did work that subjected my hands to harsh treatment, but I don't.
I am pleased that Murphey's is willing to replace the stone.
I will return the ring in the near future.

Jewelers - Retail, Jewelry Designers, Jewelry Repair