BBB Accredited Business since 03/10/2012

Texas Cellnet, Inc

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

10/07/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Random URL's blocked and page "can't be displayed"
My work email (hosted by Microsoft - Office365) was blocked, unblocked and is now blocked again. Upper level support at Texas Cellnet, Inc (TCI) does not communicate or update their support ticket with any level of detail.

I am paid through the end of Sept.
I would like to terminate the contract with no penalties or additional charges.
I would like an exception made to any conditions/contract I signed, since I was led to believe the level of service and quality of Internet would be better than what I am receiving.

Texas Cellnet (TCI) is sorry to hear of our customer's problem and have worked to correct the issue.

This began when TCI made a firewall rule for incoming traffic from blocks of IP addresses known to harbor threats to our internal network. TCI has a duty to put these protections in place for the benefit of all customers. These brute force attacks on our clients' devices, as well as our tower routers, were originating in Russia and China primarily. TCI received a call and created a ticket for our customer because he was not able to load 2 websites (Outlook.com & on4kst.com) after the block was implemented.

We are always motivated to work diligently on any issue for a client and immediately went to work looking for what our customer's connection issue to these sites might be. While we successfully navigated to the websites in question from our technician's desktop computer, we later found that there are several other servers that traffic is routed to, and felt that is why it worked sometimes for our customer but not at other times.

TCI techs found a block of IP addresses that were primarily in China and actually had some addresses in the block that were owned by Microsoft for their Outlook.com servers. As you can see below, some traffic to their servers is routed to American servers that we do not block and to some addresses that we do block.

outlook.com 132.245.3.187
outlook.com 157.56.242.123 <--China IP addresses
outlook.com 132.245.6.139
outlook.com 132.245.12.203
outlook.com 132.245.89.171
outlook.com 132.245.6.235
outlook.com 157.56.243.11 <--China IP addresses
outlook.com 157.56.233.251 <--China IP addresses

TCI rectified this issue in hopes that our customer could reach the sites he desired at all times. He called back later and verified that his issue was resolved. TCI desires to bring fast and unencumbered access to the World Wide Web as well as prevent threats to our client network.

Office Manager

Texas Cellnet (TCI) is sorry to hear of our customer's problem and have worked ***(not in a timely manner with good communication or detail) to correct the issue.

This began when TCI made a firewall rule for incoming traffic from blocks of IP addresses known to harbor threats to our internal network. TCI has a duty to put these protections in place for the benefit of all customers. These brute force attacks on our clients' devices, as well as our tower routers, were originating in Russia and China primarily. TCI received a call and created a ticket for our customer because he was not able to load 2 websites (Outlook.com & on4kst.com) after the block was implemented ***(then why did you not tell me the issue was with Microsoft and to ask them why hops were going to both China & Russia?).

We are always motivated to work diligently on any issue for a client and immediately went to work looking for what our customer's connection issue to these sites might be. While we successfully navigated to the websites in question from our technician's desktop computer, we later found ***(after I opened a 3rd ticket for support) that there are several other servers that traffic is routed to, and felt that is why it worked sometimes for our customer but not at other times.

TCI techs found a block of IP addresses that were primarily in China and actually had some addresses in the block that were owned by Microsoft for their Outlook.com servers. As you can see below, some traffic to their servers is routed to American servers that we do not block and to some addresses that we do block ***(again, why did you not provide this level of detail or explanation to me?).

outlook.com 132.245.3.187
outlook.com 157.56.242.123 <--China IP addresses
outlook.com 132.245.6.139
outlook.com 132.245.12.203
outlook.com 132.245.89.171
outlook.com 132.245.6.235
outlook.com 157.56.243.11 <--China IP addresses
outlook.com 157.56.233.251 <--China IP addresses

TCI rectified this issue ***(No, you knew the reason for the condition I was seeing...but did not share that with me) in hopes that our customer could reach the sites he desired at all times. He called back later and verified that his issue was resolved. TCI desires to bring fast and unencumbered access to the World Wide Web as well as prevent threats to our client network.

In regards to our customer's desire to end his service with TCI and have his early termination fee waived, the Terms of Service (http://www.texascellnet.com/terms-of-service.html) states in section 4 that the service is an "as is" service and that TCI does not offer a "warranty of fitness for a particular purpose". It is TCI's desire to retain our customer's business, and we hope that he sees that we tried to act on this issue quickly and accurately. If he chooses to stay with us, the issue of early termination would be a moot point. ***(I should have known better, trusted my judgment and the negative reviews, posts and forums I saw for TCI. I also should have paid for month to month so I was not locked in to a two-year contract. Additionally, the contract I signed on to was PRIOR to this block being implemented and AFTER the 30 day allowable termination had passed. So once I was on the hook, TCI makes changes that affect access and performance. At least that is what it seems like.)

***(Mr. Temple, please provide my out of pocket cost that would enable me to terminate service with TCI. Once I have that, I will make a decision on how to proceed.)

Office Manager

Mr. Bentley,

I want to respond to a few of your points. It appears that you think we knew exactly what your issue was when you initially contacted us and that we simply decided to withhold information from you. Surely you can understand that we could not have known what the issue was without doing some research. Following our research we corrected each issue. I'm not sure how else we could have done it.

Your issue of not being able to access certain websites due to those websites' IP addresses resolving through servers in China and other places is something we have extremely little control over. As I'm sure you are aware, China and Russia are a hotbed of security threats and if we did not filter those IP's, you and potentially every customer on our network would pay the price. When you or any customer is affected, we are able and willing to assist you to reach your destination, which we did.

You pointed out that you had to troubleshoot our issues. Not everyone was having the issue that you were, so we obviously had to enlist your help to get to the bottom of the matter since the problem was stemming from your location. You explained to us that you are an IT tech so I know you are familiar with the usual method of troubleshooting a client's issue.

Also, you have concerns about us not explaining what we did to fix the issue. While I apologize that we were not clearer about our actions, our primary goal was to research and resolve the problem. Historically, customers have simply wanted their issue resolved while caring little for the details of the resolution.

You indicated that we may have made changes that affect access and performance after your allowable termination time had passed. I can assure you that TCI is not tracking an individual customer's account so as to make changes that negatively impact your service. We put on new customers every day. We make changes intended only for the benefit of our customers. How could we stay in business if we alienated our customers in such a fashion?

One final comment: I must admit that I am perplexed as to why we are having this conversation through the Better Business Bureau. My first notification of your dissatisfaction was via a notice from the BBB. In my experience, the BBB is the place you turn to when you have escalated a problem within a company and have not received a satisfactory resolution. I would gladly have worked through this issue with you.

As you requested, I will prepare and email you an invoice detailing your termination costs although I strongly hope you will reconsider because I believe we've shown that while we aren't perfect, we are willing to work with you to make your service function properly.

Respectfully,

04/01/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Have internet package of 4 Mpbs / 1 Mpbs. Has been intermittent since start, and since December we have little to no service more often than not.
I became a customer in July 2013, purchasing the most expensive and advertised fastest internet package available 4Mpbs. I was told that our service would be a consistent 3-4 Mpbs, but that has not been the case. I have had to request service many times from the start, and since December, have gone days with little to no service. I have called numerous times, and service technicians have come out and been polite and professional. They have replaced cables, updated software, updated hardware, but we still do not have consistent service. I have begun to keep a file of all our service requests, and I run a speed test several times day. Sometimes the speed is adequate, most of the time nearly nonexistent. It has been 3 months without a sustained resolution. I am paying $80.00 a month for the delivery of the $40 mo package, and sometimes less than.

I would like my internet service to work.

We have been in touch with the client recently regarding the specific issues stated and believe we have achieved an agreeable level of service. We discussed the difficulties inherent with our industry (wireless internet) and the client was very understanding.

Our hope is that we showed our desire to make things work as well as possible and that customer service is extremely important to us. While no internet service provider can guarantee a specific level of service due to many factors, the one thing we can control is how we respond to issues and I believe the client knows we will give our best effort.

04/01/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

ISP service slow down for over 3 weeks with no resolution
Over 3 weeks ago on a Fri. evening my service went down - later than evening when it did come back up it was very very slow. I have had their service for aprox. 5 years and this does happen on occassion. In the past it was resolved fairly quickly but it does seem to take longer each time it has happened. Now this time it has had problems that they acknowledge are happening but they don't seem able or willing to resolve it. I have called numerous times and I am always told they will look into it but I never get a call back unless I specifically request it and they have never said it is resolved. I now have to go to another location to do my job because this has gone on for so long and the service is so bad. Early this morning it worked fine for about an hour then I started experiencing the failures again. When I tried to call their office my call was not answered and I did not want to "leave a message" and I do not believe it is at all accurate for their network status message to be reporting there are no problems or outages. When this has happened in the past I have asked for a credit on my account for the time the service was not available and they refused. Apparently they believe ongoing long-term failure to deliver reliable service is acceptable.

I want my service restored to the level it was before this significant "latency" issue began.
And if it happens in the future (because I can agree that it is the "nature of the beast") that they will identify the issue and restore my service within 2 business days unless they reasonably explain a longer delay. And telling me "they are working on it" is not enough.

We are sorry for the time that you experienced slowness on the Internet service. We understand your frustration and apologize for the lack of communication during that time. Behind the scenes and over the course of several weeks, we were changing out separate pieces of hardware (and sometimes all hardware) on the tower to improve the speed and reliability of your service. Immediately after several of the change-outs the service seemed better but in a day or two it would look like the same issues had crept back in.

Our commitment to you and all of our subscribers is to work diligently to provide high speed Internet to your home, and our desire is for that service to be up 100% of the time. As you stated in the correspondence with the BBB, wireless Internet has expected ups and downs with the environmental issues that DSL & Cable do not deal with, and we appreciate your understanding and patience as we work through those issues with you.

We use the Tower Status to show when a tower is down and unfortunately the issues we were seeing on your tower seemed to be with a handful of the 100 plus subscribers out there rather than all of the people connected. What we did not want was for someone with a solvable connectivity problem, not associated with the issues we were seeing, to stay offline for days hearing that the whole tower was offline. This has happened in the past and is frustrating for them when a reboot of equipment or troubleshooting on their end might have brought them back online.

Please accept our apologies for the period of slowness and know that when the tower has issues, we do not stop working on those issues until they are resolved to your satisfaction. Hopefully all service has been great since the end of February. Please feel free to contact us if you see further issues and if you feel you are not getting the level of service you need. You can reach me directly at extension 203.

Texas Cellnet, Inc