Signed a contract 3/1/12 to do some exterior siding. Contractor has not finished the job in 2.5 months and has not returned numerous calls, texts.
Contractor and I met on site (a rural property south of Athens) on March 1, 2011 and signed a contract to complete a small +/- $5,000 job, (installation of exterior siding, minor carpentry, and painting) approximately one weeks work. I paid him 30% of the job per the contract that day. That day he delivered the siding I ordered and paid for. He worked approximately 1.5 days and called me to pull off the job due to high winds. Over the next few weeks, he said he could not work due to the road into the property being too slick, which was probably true. Time passed and the rains stopped and he took other work. The other work was to last about 2 weeks and he was to restart the job by April 23. On 4/17, I texted him to confirm this. The contractor almost never responds to email and prefers text to email. He has been avoiding me ever since April 17. Since April 17 I have texted him 11 additional times, emailed him 5 times and left voice messages on his cell phone at least 10 times. On 4/21 he texted me that he had taken on an additional 2 months of work and could not get back to my job before he finished his current job. On April 27 after my repeated attempts to reach him, he texted me that he would call me that afternoon. He did not. On April 30, he texted that he got busy and would call me later. He did not. On ****** 4 after many attempts to reach him, I emailed him that if I did not hear from him to agree in writing on a completion date with penalties by ****** 7, then I would file a complaint with the BBB on ****** 8. I held off with many more attempts to reach him. On ****** 14, I emailed him indicating I would file a complaint with the BBB on ****** 15. He texted me ****** 15 and said he would send a list of items that need to be addressed before he can complete the job. I have no idea what he is talking about because of course he has not communicated with me and he has had 2.5 months so far to complete the job. I have indicated in writing that I would give him the time he needs to complete but I would need a firm completion date with steep penalties if that date is missed or that I would even let him abandon the job once we settle up on money as I have paid him far more than the work he has completed. I just want him to be professional and I want to get my job done in a reasonable amount of time.
Either of the following:
1.) A firm completion date giving the contractor a reasonable amount of time from the March 1 begin date with high daily penalties for delays excluding rain related delays and to agree to this in writing and to refund in good faith now 30% that I prepaid of the one job that has not been started. that job is $1,380 and I am requesting 30% or $414 and he is at this point just holding the money. I will gladly pay this when he is ready to start that job. or
2.) Refund the vast majority of the $1,676 I have paid him if he would like out of the contract so I can find a dependable contractor who can finish the job. He has completed very little work, and the work he has done has been the easiest part of the job and the lowest part as some of the work is very high off the ground.
Business' Initial Response
Talk to Mr ****** on 6/8/2012, we agreed on resolving job or contract concerning Mr ****** and ****** ******. I will be sending 30% or $414.00 back to Mr ****** until start up day to complete job.