BBB Accredited Business since 01/01/2005

Austin Bank Texas, N.A. (Headquarters)

Phone: (903) 586-1526Fax: (903) 541-2086

07/29/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Charged NSF fees for debit card transaction, I was not enrolled in "overdraft protection" the transaction should have been declined and not charged me
I used my ****** Bank debit card for the funding source of my paypal account.

I relocated to Fort Wort from Tyler and changed banks. I had been an ****** Bank customer for 15 years!

I had balance of $17.00 in the ****** Bank account the debit card drew from.

In summary I forgot to change my paypal funding source to the new bank.

I subsequently bought an ebay item and used paypal to purchase the item. I did this twice, about 2 weeks apart.

On my next visit to Tyler a nice ****** Bank employee I explained the first instance to was cordial and agreed that since it was my debit card I should not have been charged an NSF fee and refunded the $35 fee.
Later I logged on to paypal and believed I had changed my funding source but did not save it properly apparently.

Anyway I bought another ebay item 2 weeks or so later using paypal and got a letter from ****** Bank indicating I had been charged an NSF fee. I thought this was in error and contacted the bank. This time the person I dealt with said she would look into it and call me. She called to say the bank had decided this transaction was what they called an "ACH" transaction, even the the funding source was my debit card!
This lady wouldn't budge... I feel like this amounts to very unfair treatment of a loyal customer.

$35

Mr. *****,

I am responding to the complaint filed with the Better Business Bureau of Central East Texas on July 24, 2014. In the situation you referenced, an ACH transaction on your account in the amount of $12.99 was received on 12/23/13 from Pay Pal. The balance in your account at that time was $7.65. Our records indicate you did provide us with an Opt Out decision in 2010. As required by federal regulation, that decision covers everyday or one-time debit card transactions and ATM transactions. It does not cover recurring debit card transaction, ACH transactions or checks. The PayPal transaction was presented to us in the form of an ACH and therefore not covered by your Opt Out decision. Based on the history of your account and the fact that you had previously used our overdraft services, we made the decision to pay the item. After we paid the item, the balance was <-$5.34>. A $30 NSF fee was assessed at that time.

We always strive to pay items for our customers if possible as we are sure it was their intent to pay for the merchandise or services received. However, we can certainly understand the issues involved when trying to switch banks because of a move. Based on the information above, we are refunding the $30 NSF fee less the $5.34 your account was overdrawn. A check in the amount of $24.66 has been mailed to the address supplied in your BBB correspondence.

Thank you for previous relationship with ****** Bank. Should you ever return to this area, we would welcome the opportunity to be your bank again.

***** *******