BBB Accredited Business since 09/20/1995

S & W Automotive Inc.

07/25/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

6-3-2013

I asked for the engine in my 2001 Chevy Silverado truck to be overhauled and put back. It was a well maintained engine. The oil filter blew off and was told the engine had to be pulled. Might get away with a crankshaft, but since the engine had 145,000 miles, to go ahead and overhaul it while it was pulled. (Mr. *) instead of doing this, there was a different engine installed. I said this was unacceptable and the engine that was installed was covered in grease because it had some serious leaks. I thing they thought would not know the difference. I was never contacted and told my engine could not be overhauled. I was not told a different engine was installed
I chose S & W Automotive in Mabank, Texas to overhaul the engine in my truck because of their A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
I explained to them that the oil filter had popped off my 2001 43L Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab truck. I was told by a Mr. * that I might be able to get away with a crankshaft only, but since the engine had to be pulled to do the crankshaft and there was 145,000 miles on it, I might as well have it overhauled. This is what I asked them to do and I was quoted a price of $2,640.00. The truck was in their shop from March 7, 2013 to March 25, 2013. I was told they would pull it and send it to Dallas; that they had a good shop that did the engine overhauling for them.
From the time I picked it up, there were bad fumes coming off of it. I called and was told there may have been fluid spilled on the engine when they were being added. I was told to bring it back when it had 1,000 miles on it and they would change the oil and check for leaks from vibrations. I took it back before 1,000 miles and told her I was afraid to drive it. It isn't right. The engine shimmies or vibrated and continues to do so to this day. They changed the oil and said nothing about any leaks.
A few days later, the change oil light came on and I knew the oil was supposed to have been changed. I took it to an oil change shop and was told that the oil did not need to be changed, but the engine was leaking oil badly. I explained that I had just had the engine overhauled and I was told that was not the original engine. It was a remanufactured engine, but it looks like it came out of a junk yard and had some serious oil leaks. No VIN id on it. Also engine was misfiring.
I again called S & W and ask "what happened to the engine in my truck?" I told them what I was told and S & W told me that was a premium engine in my truck. I said that was not what I had agreed upon and was told I couldn't get my engine back. I was also told we would have to stand over the people who were supposed to overhaul my engine for me to get it back." I said, "Couldn't you have tagged my engine for overhaul because that was the agreement." I asked for the papers and warranty for the engine that had been installed in my truck. They have not been forthcoming to this day.
I was also told that the oil leaks would be fixed, but they would not furnish me with a loaner vehicle. They didn't do that. They had an opportunity to fix the engine when I returned for the 1,000 mile checkup.
When my truck was towed to their shop for repairs it had been sitting for 3 years, but they said it was in good shape. I never got a call saying my engine could not be overhauled, nor was I ever told by S & W that a different engine was installed in my truck. The engine that was in my truck had 145,000 miles on it, had a powerful engine which was well maintained and no oil leaks at all.
I also have my doubts about the transmission being the original. The VIN #'s do not match. When my husband was alive and took it to be serviced, the technician said to him that he had an Allison transmission in this truck and that was unusual.
The original alternator is missing.
I have tried to get a Chevy dealership to identify the original parts that came in the truck. The truck was purchased new at Van Chevrolet in Carrollton. I will continue to try and get verification.
I have told S & W that what was done has literally made me sick. I will not do business with them anymore.
I have spent an additional $1,300.00 on having the oil leaks stopped, the transmission
Serviced which I'm not sure is original and the rear differential serviced. I told him it was serviced once before at 75,000 miles. Again, the truck was serviced when the book that came with it said to service it.
The only solution I can see and will accept is for the truck to be restored to its original condition when it went into S W., original engine, transmission, alternator, etc.
I also prefer it not to be S W Automotive. What was discussed and what was written by Paula was not the same. I did not discuss replacing my engine. Why would I replace a perfectly good engine? I wouldn't, but S & W Automotive did and did not tell me I truly believe that they thought I would not find out what they have done has devalued my vehicle and caused me much distress

Respectfully,

PS: the engine shimmies upon acceleration and when slowing or stopping. It also has tappet problems. Junkyard engine.

To put all original parts back on it. Engine, transmission, alternator, etc, air conditioning compressor! In addition to the $2,640 paid to S & W to overhaul the engine which the quote clearyl shows it was to be overhauled, not replaced; I have spent $1,952.00 to repair the bad engine trying to make it safe to drive. $4,592 + 5,000 to return to original condition, total reimbursement of $9,592.

The quote given for $2640.0, was done before we got the truck. I gave her a phone # to a wrecker and the truck was delivered on 3/7/13. The deposit for motor replacement was received 3/11/13.The estimate was RXR PLBA, (Remove & Replace Premium Long Block Assy).I told her the only way I could guarantee it would be her block rebuilt is to attach a trusted person to it during the rebuilding. The company that does the rebuilding tags the motor when we drop it off and we get a tag copy. When we pick it up we get the PLBA and warranty card. We show them our tag and they load the PLBA. It was dropped off on 3/11 and picked up 3/15. There is no way I can say for a fact that is or isn't her original LB. We reinstalled the PLBA and it was ready to go 3/22. She picked it up 3/25. On 4/6 we did the free oil change, check and at that time there was no leaks. We didn't test drive it after the oil change because there was no mention of the shimmies. As far as the fumes she was smelled it was most likely from the build up of old oil from the filter popping off and dust. There may have been a dribble form refilling the fluids after motor was installed. There were no leaks present at this time. I was told the truck and set for a few years, it had built up film all over it we did wash the body and windows of the truck but did not steam clean the under carriage.
She later called and said the check eng. Light came on and she was told it was an O2 sensor. An O2 sensor is part of the exhaust system, not disturb when working on the motor. Next, she called and said also that the top of the motor was different, that hers had never said Vortec on it. In '01 the only 4.3 eng. Offered was the Vortec, that was the cover on top when we pulled it down. We cleaned it up and put it back. All the parts removed to get down to the engine are put back on her truck. The exhaust, charging, AC Systems and all the other parts are all the original parts her truck came to us with. Then the call came were she said we swapped her transmission, I explained to her it was never removed. We unbolt it from the back of the motor and support it under the truck with a transmission jack. A little later she called back and to apologize that she went to a transmission shop and they told her it was the transmission for her truck. Then she called to say she had an oil leak, I told her to come by when she could and we would check it out and if something we had done was we would fix it. When she asked a about a loaner I told her we didn't have one. Unknown to me that Teague Chevy had a Enterprise rental cars. I thought they had closed the local office and Athens was the closest one. She called back and told me about Teague's. She stated since it was a holiday weekend she would wait until the following week to come down. I told her I would take her over there when she was ready. I haven't heard from here since.
The manufacturers' warranty on the motor is 12000 miles or 12 months which ever comes first. I have the card if she wants it, I just forgot to hand it to her the day she picked the truck up. I would like to see a copy of the additional repairs she has stated she made. I don't know "Mr. Elliot" she told he said crankshaft or overhaul. I quoted on the info she gave me. Rebuild and overhaul are the same process.

I stand by what was told to me before I ever asked them to do the work on my truck. I was never told my original engine was switched out and replaced with another engine. They, (S & W) knew this is and was not acceptable, thus the information about what was done to my truck was not forth coming. Costly problems from the beginning and S & W was given an opportunity to make it right, but they chose not to. I want all original parts that were removed and replaced with junkyard parts returned to original before it went into S & W's shop.

Receipts from business on motor.

Auto Repair & Service