Tyler & Longview TX Serving 19 East Texas Counties

BBB Accredited Business since 01/31/2013

Longhorn Ford

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

09/09/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Since this vehicle was purchased it has been in the shop 47 days and is still in the shop. It was sold to me with the understanding that it had gone through a 200 point inspection. Yet it immediately had problems. Please see attached narrative for details:
On April 7, 2014 I bought a 2011 Ford F-350 6.7 liter Powerstoke diesel Cab and Chassis with a CM flatbed. I bought this vehicle from Longhorn Ford in Mineola Texas. While I was speaking with the salesman; 8 *. I advised him that my wife and I were starting a new company and I needed a good and dependable truck for the job. I never made any secret that the truck was going to be used to transport new travel trailers from the manufacturer in Indiana to dealerships across the country. I advised * that we would be taking the truck to all 48 states and Canada.
This particular truck only had 70,000 miles. I asked the salesman if there was anything wrong with the truck and * told me that there was nothing wrong with the truck, and that it had gone through a vigorous 200 point check and was a certified used vehicle. * then stated to me that the truck had originally been purchased by a local rancher from Longhorn Ford and that all the maintenance had been done at Longhorn Ford in Mineola. I then asked why the original owner traded in the vehicle. * then advised me that the original owner trades in vehicles every few years to get a new one.
I then test drove the vehicle and everything appeared to be operational. So I purchased the vehicle for $37,900 with an extended 3 year, 1,000,000 mile warranty for an additional $4,400. Since it was daylight when I bought the truck I didn't check all the lights when I bought it because * had told me about the 200 point check. Later that evening after I got home I took the truck to my cousin's house to get his opinion of the truck. It was almost dark when I left his house and when I turned on the headlights I noticed that the passenger side headlight was burned out along with two marker lights on the flatbed. I called the dealership the next day and expressed my disappointment. My wife took the truck to Longhorn Ford the next morning and they did replace the lights. It just seems to me that if their technicians had completed a vigorous 200 point check then they would have seen that the lights were burned out.
On May 7, 2014 I started the new business of transporting travel trailers. On May 19, 2014 the truck broke down in Amarillo, Texas for the first time. It was a bad radiator hose clamp; a minor fix that cost me $273 because it was not covered by the extended warranty. I wasn't upset about it because that is normal wear and tear item. It was in Amarillo where I learned that * had not been truthful with me when I bought the vehicle. The Service technician in Amarillo advised me that the truck had major issues while the previous owner had the truck. It was advised to me that when the truck had approximately 35,000 miles the Turbo was replaced. Then at approximately 62,000 miles the engine was replaced.
Then on June 3, 2014 I took the truck to * Ford and had the scheduled maintenance; which included an oil change and changed the fuel filters. On June 4, 2014 I was in Mineola running errands. I was leaving Mineola and the check engine light came on and the message display on the dash read "Reduced Engine Power". I immediately turned around and took the truck to Longhorn Ford in Mineola and they advised me that there was a problem with the exhaust system. My wife picked me up from the dealership because they had to put it in the shop. The next day the service manager, 8 * called me and said the truck was ready. My wife took me back to dealership to get the truck and before I even got out of Mineola the check engine light came on again and the message display on the dash read "Reduced Engine Power". I called my wife and told her about what had happened so she met me at the dealership again. This time they told me that the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) had gone out. The DPF filter is is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine. Wall-flow diesel particulate filters usually remove 85% or more of the soot, and under certain conditions can attain soot removal efficiencies approaching 100%. This filter cost $4,000 and is not covered by the extended warranty. After explaining that the truck was in my possession only a few weeks the dealership did agree to cover half of the cost of the filter. We then got the truck out of the shop on June 10, 2014. The truck was running fine. On July 1, 2014 while in Ellensburg, Washington again the check engine light came on and the message display on the dash read "Reduced Engine Power". We then took the truck to the Dodge dealership in Ellensburg since the Ford dealership nearby had a two week wait for them to even look at the truck and the extended warranty was covered nationwide. It was there that the vacuum pump was replaced. We were there until July 3, 2014.
On July 8, 2014 while in East Moline, Illinois again the message display on the dash read "Reduced Engine Power". This time the Turbo had to be replaced again. We got the truck out of the shop on July 11, 2014. We drove from East Moline, Illinois to Rawlins, Wyoming and on the evening of Saturday July 12, 2014 the truck broke down again. This time the problem was fuel injectors. The truck was in the shop in Rawlins, Wyoming until July 30, 2014. While in Wyoming I was able to make contact with the original owner of the vehicle by phone and after talking with him I learned that the DPF filter had been replaced between the first turbo and engine. On August 1, 2014 after returning home to Quitman, Texas the truck had an apparent engine knock. On August 1, 2014 I took the truck back to Longhorn Ford and then I learned that the engine had to be replaced again.
As of today August 13, 2014 the truck has been in broke down for a total of 47 days since April 7, 2014 and the Service Manager of Longhorn Ford advised me that it would be approximately 3 more weeks until the truck is ready. As a result to Longhorn Ford in Mineola, Texas selling me a lemon and not disclosing the previous problems that the truck had; our business, Just-Ah Truckin' has gone out of business due to the number of days that we were not making any money because the truck was in the shop and we still had the expense of hotels and meals.
After returning to Longhorn Ford I spoke with the sales manager, service manger and the salesman in a closed door meeting. I made it clear in the meeting that * had lied to me and knowingly sold me a lemon just to make a sale. All I wanted from Longhorn Ford was to do what was morally right and buy the truck back from me for what I bought it for and sell me another truck. *told me that was not going to happen and that if I wanted to, I could trade the truck in for a considerable loss. Later that week I went by the Ford dealership to see if I could get a loaner car, and I was advised I could pick up a rental car in Tyler. My warranty only covered the cost of a rental for ten days and that for the remainder of the three weeks that the truck would be in the shop the expenses would be my responsibility. I spoke with * on the phone that afternoon and he cut me off and told me that he had heard all of this before and there was nothing that he was going to do. When asked what he would do in my situation he explained that he had money set aside for things like this. I then proceeded to explain that I did too before I bought a lemon from him and he ended the phone call.
Furthermore, throughout this entire ordeal, excluding the last phone conversation with *, I have been told that I would receive a call back from either the Service Manager or * and I had to call them days later to get answers. While we were broke down in Rawlins, Wyoming I had requested to speak with the General Manager or Owner of Longhorn Ford and as of August 13, 2014 I still haven't heard from either one.

For the dealership to purchase the vehicle back for the price I paid them. I understand that it has insured wear and tear since I purchased it, but I believe I have replaced enough parts to make up for that.

The customer has put almost 30,000 miles on the truck in less than 4 months. Ford Motor Company is going to warranty the repair to fix the truck. We are currently waiting on one part (a head gasket) to get this truck repaired. We offered the customer a service rental but it was delcined. We have a service loaner vehicle here at the dealership now if the customer needs transportation. The head gasket is scheduled to be released on 8/25 by Ford. Once we receive the part we will get the truck repaired asap. We cannot guarantee the work that has been done at other shops. Also with all the miles that have been driven on the truck in the last 4 months we cannot buy the vehicle back for the original purchase price. We will guarantee our work in fixing the truck with this new repair and do our best to get the truck out as quick as possible once all the parts are received from Ford. We cannot control parts availablity from Ford. ALl of this repair will be covered by Ford Motor Company and the customer will not be out of pocket for the repair.

First of all the rental was only covered by my extended warranty for 10 days and the truck has been in the shop for 21 days. Then I would be responsible for any days after the 10 day period. When I asked for a loaner I was told that there were 10 people ahead of me on a waiting list. The dealership never called me to tell me a loaner was available. The last information I heard from the dealership was it was going to be mid to late October before the truck is fixed. Also the warranty is a MOPAR warranty that I purchased. Also I called the dealership and asked to speak to the owner or general manager. I still have not heard from anyone. The dealership will not call me to give me an update. Also in their response they didn't mention why they didn't disclose to me that the truck had major problems before I bought it. Seems to me that when you're about to spend $40,000 on a vehicle. The dealership should have told me that the truck had several major repairs done before I bought it. I am still waiting for answers. I have asked them over and over why they didn't disclose the information and nobody will give me an answer.

Ford Motor Company is still covering the repairs on this truck as it is still covered under the manufacturer's warranty. The head gasket was released by Ford yesterday and should be here at the dealership this afternoon via fed ex. 8 * the service manager will be calling the customer to schedule the loaner car and let the customer know when the repairs will be finished. Any repairs done to the truck prior to purchase were covered by Ford Motor Company and fix by certified Ford technicians with new Ford oem parts. The truck was operating properly at the time of sale. We cannot forsee future breakdowns to vehicles after 30,000 miles are put on them. We are doing our best to get this truck fixed and back on the road asap.

04/17/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Never repaired problem with brakes. Now brakes completely gone.
Noticed a problem with brakes within 6 months of purchasing my vehicle in 2011. Longhorn is ONLY dealership that has ever serviced vehicle since purchase. I took vehicle in for first regular, scheduled service (oil change,etc)in April 0f 2012. Advised service department something was wrong with brakes, there was loud noises & grinding,plus at times pedal went to floor. Picked up vehicle told me there was just "severe brake dust". As soon as I started driving car again, problem was still there. I have repeated this same process 3 times, insisting that something is seriously wrong with brakes & it was getting worse. One time, the vehicle was only there for 45 minutes so I don't know how they could have done all the complete servicing & then done a complete, thorough check on the brake systems, too. I don't believe ANYTHING has even been checked or done to this vehicle in relation to the brakes. First week of April I called & made appointment to take car in because I can no longer drive the vehicle not to mention I could have been killed for having NO brakes. Took in on April 8, 2014. On April 10th service dept called & said brakes are completely gone & I would need to pay for a FULL brake overhaul. My vehicle is still under the original 3 year/36,000 mile warranty & the first time I complained about brakes the one year brake warranty was still in effect. As I argued with them about the brakes being my responsibility, I was given 3 different reasons as to why this had occurred, including that I had basically purchased a defective product,but that wasn't their fault or responsibility. This is just pure, gross negligence!!!! My car is still there. Like I said, it's not drivable, but I won't pick it up until this is resolved.

I want them to honor all the warranties on the vehicle. I want them to be honest & do the job they were suppose to do. I want them to fix the brakes because this has been going on for over 2 years with something being seriously wrong & then it finally just caused the complete destruction of my brake system.

Complaint was resolved by Council.

09/24/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Was sold an extended warranty that I did not ask for and not aware of until afterwards.
I purchased a 2012 Jeep Liberty on 8/29/2013. I had the financing and paperwork ready to go upon my arrival at the dealership. I told the salesman I had a toddler son and I could not spend much time there. It took over two hours to get to my paperwork. I signed the documents in less than five minutes. After I got home I seen where I had unknowingly purchased an extended warranty for $2000.00. I did not ask for a warranty because the basic 3/36,000 was still in effect. Two years left and 16k on mileage. The warranty I was sold but did not ask for covers it during the basic warranty. I was never given any warranty information. I had to look it up on the Chrysler website. This warranty was " slipped in the contract " and I was taken advantage of the fact that I had been there two hours and my son had gotten to the point of being irritable. I have sent several emails to the salesman and left messages on his phone and have till yet heard from him. This is clearly an unfair business practice and I want this issue cleared up.

The warranty was added to the financed amount so probably no way I can get it removed and the financing re figured. Therefore I am paying $2000.00 plus interest on a warranty I did not ask for, nor had any intentions of purchasing. The dealership needs to come up with a way to repay me the money I will be out. For instance cover the vehicle for 2 years or 24k miles AFTER the basic warranty expires or provide add ons equivalent to the money I am out. I am going this route first. Next will be the Attorney General and I will progress from there.

I have talked to the finance manager and he will be calling the customer to get this issue resolved today.

Finance Manager did call and changed the warranty to 5 years 100,000 miles. However, start date on contract is 2/25/2012. Date vehicle purchased by previous owner. I purchased the vehicle on 8/29/2013. Start date on the contract needs to be changed to the date I purchased the vehicle. Not a year and a half before. Correct this issue and I will be satisfied.

Regards,

The extended service contract is considered a new vehicle contract as your vehicle is still in the manufacturer's warrnty period. This gives you the best coverage that Chrysler offers on a vehicle and thats why the contract can go out to 100,000 miles. All manufacturer's require the start date to coincide with the original factory warranty start date therefore we cannot change the start date on the contract. You are benefitting by getting a new extended service contract as it covers much more and allows you alot more mileage than a used service contract. I hope this explains why the start date is 2/25/12 not 8/29/13.

Auto Dealers - New Cars, Auto Repair & Service, Auto Dealers - Used Cars