What is the Torch Award?
The Torch Award program began Nationally in 1996 and has been adopted by many of the 135 BBB’s nationwide. The Denver/Boulder Better Business Bureau’s event is in its 6th year. Our past winners include: Downing Street Garage, Namaste Comfort Care, Levine, Hughes & Mithuen, Colorado Asphalt Services Inc. and Johnson Storage & Moving Company.
What it takes...The Selection Process
The BBB Torch Award is open to all for-profit businesses located within the Denver/Boulder service area. Companies must have been in business for at least three years locally and be in good standing with the BBB. It is not required that the company be a BBB Accredited Business. Nominations follow a rigorous application and selection process. There are four criteria by which entries are judged:
- Employees – High ethical standards of behavior toward employees. This includes management practices and policies, as well as training programs that assist employees in carrying out established ethics policies.
- Customers – Demonstrated ethical practices regarding customers, vendors, partners and/or other stakeholders. This includes management practices and policies that give long-term value to these relationships.
- Communications – Supporting material that accurately reflects the company’s commitment to truth in advertising and a true representation of what is being offered in the marketplace.
- Community – Recognition from news media coverage and/or your industry peers for your efforts and civic spirit (from sources outside of your organization). All of which are proof of a long-standing history and reputation of ethical practices in the marketplace.
The candidates are then evaluated in three stages:
- All applications are reviewed by members of the BBB staff. The first stage is a review of each candidate’s standing record with the BBB, their qualifications and confirmation of all needed nomination materials.
- All applications are then reviewed by the Torch Award Selection Committee, for the selection of finalists. All candidates for the award are judged equally, regardless of company size and industry. Responses to ALL FOUR criteria are required.
- The Selection Committee conducts on-site inspections of the three finalists. The Selection Committee interviews executives, owners, as well as key employees and tours each location.
Back to main Torch Award information page.