BBB Accredited Business since 06/01/1994

Ameritech Construction

Phone: (303) 444-1998

10/25/2012Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Company sent door-to-door reps to take client info & schedule free estimate appt, but cancelled the appt because the number of windows was too small.
Sept. 18th T************ knocked at the door at dinner time, stated he was from Ameritech and asked if I was considering replacing windows. I said yes, he took my name, marrital status, address, window info (where he specifically stated my large front picture window was technically 3 windows), age of home, reasons to replace, and availability. He scheduled an appointment for the 19th at 10am. He then said the tech would call before the appt to confirm I would be home and I would receive a gas card for the trouble.

On the 19th I received a call from Ameritech who confirmed my name and address, asked if (my father) would be present because a deed search returned his name and they want/need all owning parties present, and then proceeded to tell me that because the picture window (the window I'm primarily looking to replace because of it's performance and poor installation) was only 1 window and that the canvasser was "new and mis-informed" and since I was not planning on replacing more than that window at this time he would not be honoring the appointment. Stating only that they "focus on larger projects". I did mention that I was interested in replacing other windows, but this one was my priority, and he still declined to provide the estimate.

I understand it's their choice to provide an estimate or not, but it was a horrible waste of my time, and effort, and I don't appreciate giving away information and time for nothing.

Since they are BBB accredited I would simply request that the BBB provide a letter of concern regarding these practices informing Ameritech that they are wasting peoples time and potentially enticing them with a gas card they will not receive if they do not clearly inform the consumer of the requirements of their (quoted directly from the homepage of their website (http://www.ameritechwindows.com/) "Our service begins with a free, no-obligation in-home consultation."

*****-**************************************************************************************.

********* signed up for a free estimate on the evening of Sept 18 for the following morning Sept 19 at 10am. He told us he was single and the only homeowner (we require owner/owners present for estimate). He was told a manager would call 1 hour before appointment to confirm information before we sent rep out. We did in fact call him at 9am like we said we would. We asked him who ************ was because his name was listed with county as owner of property. He said ****** was his father. We asked if ****** would be present for estimate. He said he wouldn't. We told him we would not come out unless ****** was going to be present and would be happy to reschedule for such a time. In addition, we have a 3 window minimum and there was some confusion whether his large window in front counted as 3, after further questioning it was determined it was only 1 window, below our minimum. He said he would consider an estimate on the others and we said we would still need ****** to be home regardless because his name was on the title to the property. Not sure what he means by waste of his time? 1-He made the appt on a Tuesday evening for Weds morning, and 2-we called him an hour ahead of time like we said we would to confirm the information? We could have just not called at all once we found out he mislead us on who owned the property. He even checked off that all homeowners/interested parties would be present at estimate. Maybe he was mad we were aware he was misleading us?

Nowhere did the company or the canvasser indicate that a title search would be conducted or that all persons listed on the title would need to be present for the estimate. This was ONLY disclosed 1 hour before the agreed upon time and date for the estimate.

If they require all titled owners to be present they should indicate that clearly on their paperwork and during the interview with the canvasser.

I've lived at this address for 10 years and had many estimates for work to improve/ upgrade the property. I've never heard the excuse that a company would or could not conduct business for legal or "other" reasons based on the title ownership.

A detailed explanation of the federal,state,county, and/or municipal code(s) as stated in the business response that prohibit them from conducting business specifically where related to titled owners would provide a better foundation for a response to this claim.

As already stated, per county records, ****** ***** who is listed as an owner of the property would not be present for the estimate (he lives out of state and it is not possible for him to be present). It doesn't matter if he doesn't make mortgage payments or not, he is listed! We will not give estimates or potentially do work on any property if we can't talk to ****** for legal and other reasons. This was explained to ********* when we called him one hour before appointment like we said we would, and asked him about ownership. It was not our intention to waste his time as he claims, would we have been better off just not showing up for appointment?

Windows