In Denver & Boulder, Colorado

RGS Energy (Headquarters)

15 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 10 closed in last 12 months

06/26/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor refund, exchange or credit policies

Complaint: Real Goods Solar, Inc. promised us a $2000.00 rebate on our solar panel system installation. The company has not yet sent the check as promised.
We contracted with Real Goods Solar, Inc. for them to install a solar (PV) panel system at our Evergreen house. Xcel did not accept the installation and required RGS to re-do the system (subtracting 7 panels). RGS then revised the lease by adding amendments reflecting the smaller system. We were asked to sign the amended lease in November, 2013. As part of the deal, they offered us in writing a $2000.00 rebate. We signed the lease amendments in Nov, 2013. However, RGS still has not sent the $2000 rebate check.

It's a shame when there's such a thing as too much solar power! RGS indeed over-sized your system and Xcel required a reduction. So sorry for the error and the tedious delays through the fix.
As promised yesterday by phone and email, your $2,000 payout will be processed on the 6/20 check run.
Thank you for your patience.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
RGS Energy (aka Real Goods Solar) came through with their refund check for $2000. The check arrived yesterday. Thank you

06/23/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor a contract or agreement

Complaint: We entered an agreement with Senior Energy Broker understanding that the upgrade panel is included, broker was fired and RGS not honor agreement.
We signed a contract on Dec 2nd with ***** ******
Senior Energy Broker. We agreed that the panel upgrade is included, we have the emails to prove it. Our contract was with Sunrun with 0 down and a fix rate of $***** per month. I sent an email to ***** on Dec 2nd to make sure ALL panel upgrades are included. i got a confirmation from him via email saying:understood. 2 weeks later we had a tech site visit and ******** *** was assigned as a primary contract: everything seems to be working according to schedule. After the tech site visit we got a call from the electric company , they inspected our electric situation. We went back and forth with ***** ******** about our electric situation as our house is old and then everything stopped. I kept emailing both ******* and ***** to request an update . We felt that if we wont keep pushing nothing will get done. After many weeks we got contacted by another energy broker (another salesman) and to our surprise he said his understanding is that we wished to pursue a cash purchase option he sent us revised RGS Energy Greensky combo loan proposal. We were shocked! We never asked for or even thought of purchase option.To my questions of why we need a revised proposal as NOTHING HAD CHANGED! He said that ***** is no longer with the company and that this new proposal includes the service panel upgrade and extended inverter warranty. I explained to him that all of which is supposed to be included as per our agreement with *****.. I sent all the chain of emails between me and ***** to prove what we agreed upon. I also requested from both ******** and **** to talk to a senior management as we felt that each sales person would like to first make a profit. I was never approached by ANY senior manager and was told that **** is handling it now. After talking to **** on the phone he promised he is going to talk to SunRun. A few days later he responded saying SunRun answer was NO.They can't honor the agreement! The new proposed agreement is $3500 up front and the fixed monthly will be $***** instead of $***** and NO MONEY UPFRONT. We feel that as the weeks went by and when company personnel realized it is not a new house with a quick job they decided to drop us. Maybe fees went up in the meanwhile or we were no longer attractive anymore. We feel we were scammed by RGS. When we decided to go with RGS part of the reason was because we thought they are the installer and that we will deal directly with the people who will do the job. We had other offers from Solar City and directly from sunRun via their representative. ***** the original broker that sold us the agreement was very persuasive and promised us we will have solar system within 3 to 4 months. As I mentioned we signed the agreement on Dec 2nd 2013. We believe RGS is not interested in honoring their agreement as they don't find it profitable enough anymore and they don't even try to send a senior manager to try to resolve this. We are very disappointed and we don't want other people going through the same scam as we were..

RGS Energy does regret that our salesperson was in error when stating that a electric service panel upgrade could be included in the price. The specifics of this home's service panel made the upgrade price prohibitive and therefore impossible for Sunrun to finance. Our Solutions Specialist worked with the customer to offer other options, including a special financed purchase without Sunrun covering the cost of the panel upgrade. After deliberating this option, the customer decided to pass on April 25th 2014 and was released of any contractual obligations.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
Our original agreement was a lease agreement with a fixed rate.The new offer by RGS ( and the ONLY offer we got) is a purchase offer . The monthly payment in the new option is higher then the original offer. We were not interested.

Again, RGS Energy regrets we were unable to present an option that was workable for all parties. We especially apologize for not identifying the limitations in the original sales process.
Yes, the new 12-year purchase payment plan offeredwhile still showing very good energy savingswas more expensive in the short term than the original offer.

04/24/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Sales presentation used high pressure methods

Complaint: Their sales rep *** ******** will NOT stop harassing us. We have asked hum repeatedly not to call again.
Their sales rep *** ******** will NOT stop harassing us after we declined their product. We had signed 7 days before with another contractor and this kid will not stop calling! He is annoying my wife constantly with endless calls to quit the contract we have to buy from him.

Hi ******,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on BBB. Your complaint has been taken seriously and further action was taken to investigate your complaint. We apologize for your negative experience with RGS Energy and congratulate you on making the decision to go solar.

Best,
******
Communications Manager at RGS Energy

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
What action was taken EXACTLY? I will not be pushed aside after my wife and I were harassed in this manner.

Dear ******,

We apologize for the negative experience you had with RGS Energy. We took your complaint very seriously and looked into the issue. We have since changed policies so that this no longer happens.

Thanks for taking the time to review us on BBB.

Best,
****** ******
Communications Manager at RGS Energy

01/31/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor promised refunds, exchanges, or credit

Complaint: After contract with Real Goods Solar was nullified, the promised refund of our $250 deposit was never received.
My husband and I entered into a contract with Real Goods Solar in May 2013 to have them provide installation of solar panels to our house. We paid a $250 deposit by check to begin the process. After several weeks passed, during which an engineer came to our house and determined it was appropriate for installing the panels, our contract was nullified since prices had gone up in the meantime. We chose not to enter into a new contract because the prices had risen and several issues of incompetence on the part of the salesperson that led us to believe this company was not reliable (I can provide further detail if necessary, but these issues are ultimately not relevant to our refund request).

As of early October, we were promised the refund of our $250 -- our right to this was never in dispute. I followed up in mid-December and was promised that the salesperson would be in touch with me regarding the status of the refund. I have heard nothing. The person I have been in the most communication with, and who has actually responded to my emails is ***************, East Coast Residential Operations Manager
Ph#: ************ x5

**********, however, does not seem to have the power to actually cut the check and is probably frustrated herself that the requests she has made to get this done are not moving things forward.

Too much time and frustration has passed, so I am forced to bring this to BBB's attention in the hope that we can get our money back.

We notified ****************** on 12/31/2013 that her $250 refund check is being processed and will be going out in the mail to her on 1/2/2014. I will follow up with ****************** by phone on Friday 1/10/2014, to ensure she rec'd the check.

Thank you, BBB! Thanks to BBB's action, the case was resolved quickly and my refund check was sent. Too bad it had to come to this in order for action to be taken, but Real Goods did finally do the right thing. Never having used BBB before, I sure am glad that they are here for consumers.

01/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Customer Service Complaint Issue

Complaint: Agent executed contract in our home and ran a credit report - no contact from company thereafter.
A representative (***************) agent from Real Goods Solar visited our home. She took our personal information from our PG&E Statement and our social security numbers. She ran a credit check in our home. Based on this information, we were approved for solar energy to be installed in our home. We executed a contract with the representative at that time. She informed us the installation team would contact us to set up a time to come out to do the assessment on the roof. Several weeks went by and we heard nothing. My husband contacted Real Goods Solar and was told they had no record of our information. He emailed the representative (***************) who stated she had turned in our paperwork and would check on the status. We did not hear anything back from her. My husband again called Real Goods Solar to express his concerns. They stated they would investigate and return his call; they never did. Shortly thereafter we learned the representative (***************) had left Real Goods Solar. I attempted to contact the Human Resources Department and left a message with Laura in December 2013. Laura returned my call and expressed concern about our protected information, but I have not heard from Laura again presumably due to the holidays.

I am extremely concerned about my personal information and what may have happened to it.

I spoke with ************* on 1-2-2013 and apologized for the lack of communication between our office and herself. I also explained that this is an abnormality and is not how we care for our homeowners. I informed her that her credit information was secured and was why, as a company prefer the electronic application process, because we do not see any of the credit information. I informed her that her contract was canceled as well. Nicole accepted our apologizes and felt good about her information being secure within our process.

It appears the issue was with the representative who is no longer an employee of the company.

Solar Energy Products - Retail, Contractors - Solar Energy, Solar Energy System Design & Installation, Solar Energy Equipment & Systems Dealers, Utility Contractors