Denver & Boulder, Colorado

Monarch Construction and Roofing LLC

7 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

02/26/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor a contract or agreement

Complaint: My bill has been paid in full. Roofing shingle supplier filed lien on my house for nonpayment by Monarch. I have receipt showing paid in full.
I have receipt from Monarch showing that I paid in full my insurance copayment, plus I endorsed the insurance checks to Monarch. They have been paid in full. However, they have not paid their suppliers. SRS Distribution Inc, dba Shake & Shingle Supply, has filed a lien on my house for nonpayment for supplies delivered. There are numerous houses in my neighborhood Monarch did business with who are faced with the same issue.

We have paid all suppliers/labor on this job. This issue was not the fault of Monarch's. We have also contacted an attorney in regards to the supplier placing an "intent to lien". This supplier had sent this in error. The supplier has since sent this homeowner a letter in regards to this matter and no lien has been placed on the property. We have issued a lien release to the customer once the work was completed and paid in full by the homeowner. If she should need further information from us when selling her home, we would be more than happy to do so.

Complaint Resolution: Company resolved the complaint issues, but not within the Bureau's timeframe.

09/23/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to provide promised assistance or support for products or services

Complaint: No one from Monarch will get back to me about a project that I have paid for and gotten an estimate on.
I paid for a painting job w/ Monarch. I scheduled an appointment with a accompany rep. He didn't make it to the first scheduled appt.
He made it to the next one & promised an estimate by the end of the day.
That didn't happen.
A couple days later, I finally got the estimate.
I have been trying, since then, to schedule a time to get the job done, but no one from the company will contact me. I have tried numerous avenues of contact, but none of them have been successful. The original representative nor anyone from their office will return my emails or phone calls.
The company website is suspiciously short on contact information, especially internet based.

BBB,

We have responded to the customer after the first notification to our office that we needed to schedule the deal Mr.****** had purchased. We have scheduled the service and it will be completed by the end of next week. Customer seemed happy to get the service scheduled. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions or concerns.

Monarch Painting/Construction and their employees reached out to me and made everything better. They did the work, as promised and went above the call of duty to make me happy and satisfied.
I appreciate both the hard work and the extra effort to communicate. ***** and ****** did a wonderful paint job and Dave handled my complaint professionally and promptly.
Everything is now resolved, and I am satisfied.

09/17/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Inappropriate behavior by customer service personnel

Complaint: Company wanted entire roof payment prior to starting the job. made terrible nasty remarks to us. would not work with us in any way.
The company lied to us, harassed us, called us nasty names and demanded that we pay for the roof in full prior to any work being done.

We demanded for the company to never contact us again.

They have since texted my wife and I and sent us a demand letter for payment of cancelling the contract.

It is not the practice of Monarch to ask for any payment prior to materials being delivered or roof being completed. Which is in accordance to what we have communicated with these homeowners. After doing the due diligence to get the insurance to approve the work, a check was made out to Monarch Construction & the homeowner by the insurance. The reason the insurance wrote the check out to mortgage holder and Monarch because the mortgage holder was behind in their mortgage. and they were concerned that the homeowner would keep the funds instead of doing the necessary repairs to the property. The check for $ 7,274.02 is in the possession of Monarch, we have stated to the homeowner that they would sign the check which would be ready by Monarch when the roof was completed. The homeowner continues to ask for Monarch to sign the check over and release to them. This was exactly what the mortgage company did not want. It is evident and very clear that the homeowner is trying to get these funds for their personal use and not for their home. At this point we are at a stand still.

08/13/2012Problems with Product / Service
07/17/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor service under the terms of warranties

Complaint: failure to fix paint problem that is under warranty
We have contacted this company about the problem with our paint that is peeling on our deck railings. They said someone would contact us from the paint department but no one did. We contacted them again about this issue and was told someone would be out around the 22nd of April. No one has come out to fix this problem as of today. We tried to call the owner of the company today but his mailbox said it was full.

I will forward this complaint to the paint department manager myself. We will work to resolve this issue immediately.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
They came out and repainted however they did a terrible job and the paint is already starting to peel again. We do not want them to come back so we will be fixing this ourselves.

Wed 7/16/14, I just spoke to my paint manager and he informed me that this was taken care of. He will notifying Mr. ***** about this. There is nothing else we can do, but maybe paint again. They also told Mr. ***** that the wood railing would need to be replaced, in which case the insurance did not allow for and it would be an out of pocket expense to Mr. *****.

As stated before they came out and repainted however it is starting to peel again. They never told us that the railing needed to be replaced all they said was that they couldn't sand out the pits so they were going to fill them in and paint. The only thing we were told needed to replaced was a board underneath the stairs. Their workmanship is extremely poor and we do not want them back at our house again. We will take care of this ourselves.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

04/02/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: False or unsubstantiated claims in advertisement

Complaint: This company is using pictures of my companies work and claiming it as their own. All the photos they are using in their waterfall gallery are ours.
All the photos listed on the page http://monarchroofing.com/waterfall-gallery/ are not only from my projects, but I took a good amount of them myself. This company is trying to pass the work off as their own. I have many of these pictures listed on my own website and in portfolios. They also have the photos posted on handouts, business cards and banners used at a trade show we both attended as vendors in the past week. It is very embarrassing as a legit business owner to try and explain why our work was posted in a competitors booth. I have client references, invoices, notes and job files to prove the work was completed by my company.

*** ****** is the original Founder and Co-Owner of Castlewood Custom Landscape & Design. It started between *** ****** & ***** ***** in Sept 2009. When Mr. ****** sold his interest of Castlewood Custom Landscape & Design in the "Buy-Out" Agreement there was NO "non-compete" clause included or signed. The photos that Mr. ****** is using he personally worked on himself while being co-owner of Castlewood Custom Landscape & Design. Mr. ****** will provide proof he was founder & co-owner as well as provide a copy of the "Buy-Out" Agreement. All photos used were taken with Mr. ******'s personal camera and will remain as his personal photos and in his portfolio. To add also, it is Castlewood Custom Landscape who is actually using photos of Mr. ******'s previous company Colorado Waterfalls.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
Castlewood Custom Landscape and Design, Inc. was founded in 2007, not 2009. I am not sure if this was a typo or put in to further the lie that Monarch Roofing has been in business since 2001, which it has not. Castlewood Custom Landscape and Design is the owner of any project that was designed and installed by Castlewood employees or crew. Upon reaching a buyout agreement with *** ****** in 2009, all of his shares and interest in Castlewood Custom Landscape and Design where purchased and he was let go. At that point any ownership of work done or photographed while employed by Castlewood Custom Landscape are forfeited to the company. Colorado Waterfalls was absorbed by Castlewood Custom Landscape and Design in 2008 because it had become insolvent. All assets and debts (MOSTLY DEBT!) became property of Castlewood Custom Landscape and Design at that point. Mr ****** has no right to use these photographs anymore than a random person on Google. The fact is Mr ****** is trying to pass off work designed and installed by Castlewood Custom Landscape and Design, Inc. as that of Monarch Roofing and construction which is illegal.

Yes the company was started in 2007, sorry that was a typo. Colorado Waterfalls was never insolvent, and never a part of the buyout agreement. Monarch has not done anything illegal, and statements stating so need to cease. Again, Mr. ****** did not sign a non compete clause. And again, Mr. ****** has every legal right to keep & maintain a picture portfolio of his life's work. Castlewood Landscape on the other hand has photo's of Waterfall from Mr. ******'s company, Colorado Waterfalls on their website. This matter is a personal matter between parties. It is not worthy of a BBB complaint. Mr. ****** has been accredited with the BBB since 2001 with all his companies, Monarch Construction & Roofing, Colorado Waterfalls, and Castlewood Landscape. Mr ****** has always maintained an A+ rating.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

01/10/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: We request that the company honor their current $500 promotion due to the fact that they did a poor job cleaning up & caused injury to our dog.
Company stated that the project would only take 1 day. Project ended up taking longer than a week to complete. Company also stated that thorough clean up would be completed after the repair. However, trash, debris, nails, & a full nail gun cartridge were left at our home resulting in our dog's injury.

We have never been notified of any harm to an animal. Per our contract, we never give exact times of completion due to many factors. We did complete the job in a timely manner, and completed the job that was done correctly and passed inspection. The customer did receive a discount of $1000.00 due to our advertising agreement. This homeowner should be very, very happy.

This homeowner is far from "very, very happy". We did notify the company regarding my dog's injury. We left a message with a receptionist, were promised a call back, and never received one.

Also, if the company isn't going to give exact times of completion, then the company should tell it's representatives they shouldn't make promises that they can't keep. Our salesperson, ***, assured us that our job would take only a day to complete.

Consumers should know that once Monarach will do and say anything for your money. Buyer beware!

Roofing Contractors, Windows, Stucco & Exterior Coating Contractors, Painting Contractors