Denver & Boulder, Colorado

Denver Newspaper Agency, LLC dba The Denver Post

126 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 66 closed in last 12 months

08/04/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to correct billing errors

Complaint: I am complaining about being overcharged for an undeliverabl newspaper subscription and for not cancelling the paper as requested, causing new charges
Up to February 22, 2014 I had the Denver Post paper delivered to my home at 20401 County Road 2W in Limon, Colorado 80828. During the past few years, the Denver office determined that we could no longer obtain daily delivery so we had Sunday delivery only at a cost of $6.93 per month. That worked fine until the end of Februay 2014. At that point, I called the office and transferred delivery to 523 F Avenue in Limon, Colorado 80828. When I talked to the individual on the phone for the changed in service he told me that I could again get daily delivery since I was in town. I agreed to the lie. We continued to get the Sunday delivery (NOT DAILY) and everything was fine, including the billing through the change. I figured that the Denver Post realized that you made a mistake since it could not deliver a daily paper, only Sunday, and up to April 16 they continued charging my checking account for $6.93. It was not until May 7, transaction # 331441, that the paper started charging for extra services that could not be delivered, $11.92 per month. I mistakenly believed that the error would be corrected when I called after discovering the problem. I called again the next month on June when I was charge $11.92 again on June 4, transaction #330801. At this point, I informed the person that we would be moving and to discontinue the paper after June 22. He was going to give me credit for the overcharge for the two months and discontinue the paper. Instead of reimbursing me for the overcharge, I was again charged $11.92 that will be coming out of my bank account tomorrow, June 8. I don't know if the paper was discontinued as I moved from the area on June 26.

I tried calling the Denver Post this morning about the matter. The first question I asked the "Customer Care" person was how much Sunday delivery cost. I was told $91 per year. This breaks down to $7.58 per month, in other words, I was overcharged. I spent 17 minutes on the first call trying to solve the problem but the call got dropped after being on hold. I finally asked for a manager the second time. After waiting another 11 minutes, I gave up and figured that the Denver Post "Customer Service" does not care. A follow up e-mail netted nothing.

I would like credit for all the charges that the has created and for them to quit charging my checking account each month. I would have had the Denver Post delivered to my new home, but have now determined that I no longer want the hassles with them. What is it going to take for them to quit taking money from my bank account every month since they are not interested in solving the problem?

The consumer has been contacted and is staisfied with the resolution.

07/28/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Delivery of unordered products

Complaint: The Denver Post delivers an unwanted newspaper to my house every Sunday. It refuses to stop dumping this unwanted trash on my front yard.
The Denver Post delivers an unwanted newspaper to my house every Sunday. It refuses to stop dumping this unwanted trash on my front yard. I am not a Denver Post subscriber. I have telephoned and emailed the Denver Post numerous times to request that it stop putting its trash on my front yard. The Denver Post has promised numerous times to stop leaving trash on my yard, but refuses to stop. This trash is being dumped all over Denver to residents who do not want it. I want this delivery of unwanted newspapers to stop permanently.

We have attempted contact with the consumer and have taken steps to escalate her request to cease any and all deliveries of products handled by The Denver Post.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
I hope the Denver Post keeps its word this time. The Denver Post should be ashamed of all the mountains of trash it dumps throughout the city every Sunday.

07/09/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Customer Service Complaint Issue

Complaint: The ****** Post is harassing me with constant phone calls asking if I would like to renew my subscription.
In 2010 I had a subscription to the ****** Post. Unfortunately I do not have any of my subscription info except for that it was delivered to *****************************************. About a year later I canceled my subscription. For several months now they have been calling me twice a day, once between 8-10am and again towards the end of the business day. At first I answered the calls and clearly stated that I did NOT want to renew my subscription. However they are continuing the harass me on a daily basis with these calls, even though I have asked them to stop on multiple occasions.

We have honored the consumer's desired resolution and sent an email to him confirming the request and associated follow up.

07/08/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Non-delivery of products

Complaint: Subscribed in January to the Sunday Post and I've received 3 papers. I want a refund.
I called on January 13 and requested a Sunday subscription to the ****** Post. I've only received three papers in the entire time I've been a customer. I've called multiple times to report delivery issues, but they only promise to extend my subscription and I never get a paper delivered. I called May 14th and asked to speak to the carrier's supervisor. They said that he would call and he never did. I still have not received a paper.

When I called today and requested a refund, I was told that I would be issued a credit to extend my delivery. I cannot understand how this will help me. I don't get the paper delivered so extending my subscription will only extend the amount of time that I will have to call and request newspapers that will never be delivered. I then requested to speak to a supervisor. I was hung up on the first request and denied the opportunity the second call.

I persisted with my request for a refund and after about 20 minutes of begging I was offered a $63 refund. I have only received 3 papers in the entire time I've been a customer. That comes to $10 per newspaper!!! I told them that is stealing and I would be in contact with the BBB.

We have attempted contact and honored the consumer's desired resolution requested on the complaint activity report.

07/08/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to provide promised assistance or support for products or services

Complaint: Severe Lack of customer service all the way up to management, False promises Time and or no Delivery of paper, Incomplete sections of paper delivered
Sunday June 1st only received 2 sections of paper. Called post 3 times spoke with supervisor on duty each time informed another paper should be out within hour. Called again after 11 a.m. closed. Paper delivered around 8p.m. with sections still missing. Friday June 6th missing movie/comic section and grow edition. 2 calls to customer service stated cannot deliver today will include in Saturdays paper. Did not happen! Sunday June 8th missing perspective and some adds. Made 2 calls supervisor stated we would have a complete paper within two hours. Never happened! Monday June 9th. No paper asked to speak with someone other than supervisor that had authority to discuss my issue. Was told the district supervisor for our area would call me within 24 hours to discuss issue. Guess what NO RETURN PHONE CALL. Wednesday June 11th. No paper asked for supervisor and asked she provide me phone number of upper management of post. Supervisor took my phone number and said Doug would be calling right back on my issues. That was at 7:15 a.m. It is currently 9:15 no return phone call as of yet, Paper arrived around 8 a.m. with no Wednesday ads. I am appalled at the lack of customer service and promises of service or call backs that never happened. It is no wonder they are losing subscribers They gladly take my monthly subscription payment but fail to deliver their services.

I spoke to the consumer and we are following up with our field managers concerning the delivery issues.

04/16/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Credit, Billing or Collection Complaint Issue

Complaint: The Denver Post sends you out a bill for $315.95. I called The Denver Post they said if I give them a credit number they could lower my rate.
I brought to their attention of the poor service I received over the year. They put you on hold and then come back with a counter offer and demanding payment be made by credit card. You also receive calls from their "retention desk" again with high pressure to renew right now with a credit card. I told them I wanted to pay by check. They said they could not get me that special rate if I paid by check. When I questioned them why I couldn't get the lower rate when paying by check they said it was company policy. I then asked why there was two prices one for credit card payment and one by check again said it was company policy. I expressed my concern that my credit card would automatically be charged next year when my account is due. They said no I had to call in to authorize the charge on my account. Since my account is due in 2 days I gave them my credit card number to continue service. I have been calling The Denver Post since 27 of Feb. They don't let you speak to a supervisor. They start with a full price quote plus a $10 gift card. After being put on hold a couple of times they give you a finally offer which is $51 less than your bill. Again you must pay for it with a credit card right now! I feel you should get the "final/best offer" and be able to pay for with a check. They offer to do an electronic check out of your account. You just don't get the feeling your checking account information would be in the best hands.

We have attempted to contact the consumer multiple times, have left voice mails, but have yet to connect.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
I'm unable to contact The Denver POST. They're closed on Sun. and Mon. Those are my days off. They're also closed by the time I get home from work. The delivery service has improved. My concern is next year if my card will be charged or if I'll have to use it to get their "best price". By the time they contacted me I had already paid my credit card bill. So it was not an option to refund my credit card. I would appreciate that the case remain open until next year. That way I could give a true evaluation if they are true to their word or not.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

08/19/2014Delivery Issues