Centennial Valley Pediatrics

10/15/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

YourComplaint: pretty much said above. We don't want to pay a bill for a procedure we told the doctor we did not think was necessary in the first place.
DiscussedTheComplaint: 0
PersonSpokenTo: Head of Billing office
WhenSpokenTo: 10-1-12 and 2 other times in the last 2-3months
ProductOrService: Pediatrian
DatePurchased: Date of appointment was 5-9-12
WasTheProductOrServiceAdvertised: No
RepresentationsMade: We were in for my daughter's normal first check up (she was four days old) and I told the doctor I had extreme pain while breastfeeding and that I thought that both my daughter and I must have thrush. She said no we didn't and that it hurts a little at first, but I would get used to it, and that it wasn't that bad, but it would help the pain if they did a frenectomy on my daughter. We said no, that they had cut our sons tongue for the same reasons after he was born and it didn't help with his latch at all and the doctor had been so rough with him that we didn't want to see that happen to my daughter when we didn't think it was going to help anyways. She insisted saying, we will be so gentle, it's such a quick, simple, fast procedure, and will heal in no time, it's worth a shot to see if it helps with the pain of breastfeeding. She never mentioned it was a $700 procedure, which seems important to mention to anyone let alone someone who didn't think it was necessary in the first place. After suffering through so much pain feeding my daughter day and night for a couple more weeks we went back in again to say if this is not thrush then what is the problem, because I was going to need to switch to formula and I was just concerned with the white patches all over my daughters mouth. By this point my daughter was bleeding in her diaper area (also a result of thrush, because she had such a bad yeast rash) and was still eating terribly. The doctor actually told us at this appointment that we did have thrush and she would prescribe medicine for it. But this was after letting it get really bad over a few weeks and ended up taking a long time for us to heal from it. I felt like when I mentioned at that first apt. that I thought we had thrush that the doctor was bothered by the fact that i had "googled my symptoms" and therefore blew it off. Clearly the frenectomy was unnecessary, because the real problem was the thrush. So the fact that she pushed it so hard saying it would only take seconds and was no big deal when to us $700 for something we didn't care to do in the first place, was a big deal. There was no mention of the cost of the procedure and we just thought it was part of the appointment with the way she talked about it. Our insurance covered $300 and they are offering us a 25% discount off of our $400, but out of principle we don't want to pay anything. We were mad about the situation before we even knew we were going to get a bill on top of not being properly taking care of by our doctor. The amount of pain I know I went trough and that my daughter clearly felt as she cried all the time until the thrush was clearing, was enough to make us furious, but to get this bill on top makes us beyond angry. Is there something we can do to not pay this?

AmountInDispute: 700
FairResolution: At the least to not pay the bill for the frenectomy. Because we were told we did not have thrush we went to so many extra doctor appointments, saw chiropractors, i changed my diet and went through a horrible first month with our daughter trying to figure out what was going on. Those $35 copays add up. Then because the thrush got so bad we payed a lot in medicine to get rid of it when it may have been easy to take care of if we had dealt with it right away.

EXPLANATION:
DESIRED RESOLUTION: At the least to not pay the bill for the frenectomy. Because we were told we did not have thrush we went to so many extra doctor appointments, saw chiropractors, i changed my diet and went through a horrible first month with our daughter trying to figure out what was going on. Those $35 copays add up. Then because the thrush got so bad we payed a lot in medicine to get rid of it when it may have been easy to take care of if we had dealt with it right away.

Thank you for bringing this complaint to our attention. Due to the nature of medical information, we cannot respond with details of this case, as that would constitute a HIPAA violation. We will contact this family and resolve this issue in a manner that should be, hopefully, beneficial to both parties.

They agreed to drop all the charges associated with the billing of the specified procedure..

Health & Medical (General)