Denver & Boulder, Colorado

BBB Accredited Business since 09/29/2010

5280 Drywall & Repairs, LLC

03/06/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Repairs resulted in additional damage

Complaint: our hoa hired these contractors to clean up after the pipes bursted and they made more damage to the property then the water damage itself.
Our Hoa hired this company without our approval to come clean up after the pipes burst. This company compleately gutted the house and damaged the interior. they put a hole in our door which will cost 350 they damaged the countertops and cabinets when they pulled them out and this was esimated at 6500.00 then the tile and cabinets in the bathroom estimated at 1500. then they messed up the carpeting which is 3500 then include the couch that they damaged 700.00 and then the small kitchen appliances that they so lazily put all in one bag with cleaning supplies equalling roughly 500.00. these men left messes and we did not approve them as a clean up company. they wont answer our phone calls and we are at a point where insurance wont cover the damages they have done to the property. so this is the last straw. they were reckless and we have my insurance and another contracting company that assessed the damages and have told us that is was the careless and reckless job that they did that caused all this damage. we will be out of hotel money in a few days and will be homeless with our three year old and cannot move back in to the house because of the damages it is not livable in any way shape or form.

5280 and ****** were able to meet onsite and determine the concerns they had were not caused by 5280. Both parties are satisfied.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
see more info received from consumer

04/15/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Repairs resulted in additional damage

Complaint: 5280 employed workers who damaged personal property either accidentally or purposely and refused to pay for full repair or replacement.
On 1/5/13 the tenants at my rental property located in Shiloh Townhomes at *******************************, notified me that there was a large ice build up on the roof apparently from a leak. I contacted the property's HOA and they called a company to look at it. The same day as the report, 5280 Drywall and Repair was on the property to clean gutters. The company who was called to look at the ice did not get on the roof. 5280 had a ladder leaned against our townhome and workers got on the roof. We have eye witnesses to this. They applied an ice melter and were seen chipping ice off the roof and throwing chunks down on the ground. A neighbor asked what they were doing and the workers replied "removing ice". As a result of the thrown ice, my tenant's grill, shelving unit, chair and 2 storage bins were damaged badly. We reported this and on 1/16/13 5280 said they would only pay half of depreciated amount, which they said was $130.50, on the damaged property because a water line was not properly winterized, this came to $65.25 that they would pay. The un-winterized line belonged to a neighboring townhome. This water line did not cause the damage, the actions of the workers throwing ice caused the damage. When I told 5280 this, they then said on 1/24/13 that the new depreciated amount was $207 and they would pay half of that equaling $103.50. I asked that they pay the full amount of $207. Up to this point, I had been emailing with ******** at 5280. She was always very polite. Suddenly, on 1/25/13, I received an email from Casey Wagner-Simmons which was very rude and defensive. She denied her workers ever throwing ice, which neighbors witnessed. She said they knew that removing ice would cause damage but still applied ice remover, which I have the email with this contradiction. She said to go after someone else and accept or refuse the offer. My tenants live on a very menial income. These items are impossible to replace with $103. If 5280 had taken the time and responsibility to notify my tenants of their intentions, my tenants could have moved their items. If 5280 had refused to get on the roof because there was clearly a problem that had nothing to do with the gutters they were supposed to clean, the incident would have been avoided. It was no one else's "fault" but the workers who climbed up there and caused damage. I am sure it was not intentional but 5280 must take responsibility for their workers' actions. 5280 needed to pay the full amount of $207 for the damaged property. I am shocked at the reaction and timeliness of this mess over $100, an amount that 5280 makes in a very short amount of time. But that additional $100 would allow my tenants to replace at least part of their previously intact property. 5280's owner should never have replied with such a rude demeanor, especially to me, a landlord who would have an opportunity at a later time to use them or recommend them.

We were hired by the HOA's Management company to do the community gutter cleaning. Due to weather conditions we were not able to clean the gutters on certain buildings. We received an email on January 8th from the Property Manager asking if we could do something about the ice buildup on #***. We used four bags of ice melt on the buildup. We received notice that the tenant claimed his 2 year old grill was dented as well as a chair that was 2 years old, 2 storage bins (3 years old) and shelves that were also 3 years old. This ice buildup was a result of a water line from a neighboring unit that was not properly winterized. Our offer was to pay 50% of the depreciation of the items. Not replacement cost. This was discussed with our customer, the HOA manager, and was deemed fair. It is not normal practice in our business to contact every homeowner when we are doing a community gutter cleaning nor do we have that contact information. As a result of this we will in the future post notices for owners/tenants.

Complaint Response Date bumped because: Holiday

While I appreciate the change in policy to post future notices to owners/tenants, 5280 still refuses to take responsibility for their employees' actions resulting in the damage of a grill and complete destruction of the other items, no matter the age. Not every person can afford to run out and buy new items to replace old items. I have compensated my tenants the $103 that 5280 is too cheap to refund. It is unfortunate it came to this and I, nor my acquaintances, will never use 5280 Drywall and Repair for any future work.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

Drywall Contractors, Carpet & Rug Cleaners