In Denver & Boulder, Colorado

Marcy's Automotive, Inc.

Phone: (303) 670-1926

05/29/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Repairs resulted in additional damage

Complaint: Didn't say that by law they had to put vehicle back at no additional charge due to major change in quote. gas tank in trunk and tow or cash.
I first had a few good experiences with******** but then had one that will cause me to never go back again. To try and boil it down into a few bullets:
- quoted me a price to do a job and then changed it dramatically. I understand that, but when I told them to put it back together and I would pick it up and pay for the work already done, minus that piece, they got VERY nasty. Their "Jeep Expert" got on the phone, told me he was in control now, threatened me to throw the gas tank in the back and I could tow it off or show up with cash and pay for everything they had done, including the work on the part they changed dramatically. He then hung up the phone on me. Nice. Too bad he didn't tell me by law that one of my options was to have them put it back together and by law they had to do so at no additional cost since the quote had changed.
- put in another used tank and didn't even tell me. put in another used fuel pump and when it didn't work, told me that it was too bad that it was a used part, not warrantied and if I wanted it fixed, I would have to pay for all the work again.
- when I asked the owner if he could work with me on pricing, he asked me if I wanted to "see his paycheck". One of his guys asked me if I wanted to work on his car for "free". Super professional.

In the end I had to let them finish the work and pay for it and then when it didn't work, take it to the Jeep dealer and get it fixed for another $700.00. There is something to be said about the dealer. At least when they give you a price, they fix it right and stick to that price. I wanted to give my business to the local guys, but they are so unprofessional and expect you to overpay and then don't stand behind their work. ********* and one of the guys are very nice, the "Jeep" guy was the worst I have ever dealt with and candidly made both my wife and son nervous about even going in to pick up the vehicle. Something I won't stand for. . They have been in business long enough that I'm sure they must do some things right but for a few hundred dollars and the way the treated us they lost a customer with 3 vehicles that would have probably been a customer for the next 20 years, not to mention everyone I have told about how awful they were, vs. the opportunity to tell people the opposite.

The primary issue outside of just awful customer service and standing behind their work was the threat to put my gas tank in the trunk and to come tow it off if I didn't show up with cash and pay in full including the work that had been done, where the quote had changed dramatically. It's my understanding that if a quote changes, they are required to put it back together at no additional charge. I didn't find this out until researching it after it was too late.

The part in question is the fuel gauge tank unit. It was ordered from the dealership by the vehicle identification number. It would not fit. The fuel tank had obviously been replaced with a different one from the original. ********** was told of the situation at hand. He at first refused to authorize any extra money for the problem. But after a few calls back and forth, ********** authorized a used fuel sender from a local business. It also was wrong. The fuel pump for the original tank that was removed from the Jeep was no longer available. We (Marcy's) gave him a good used fuel tank with fuel pump (a $150-250 value) at no charge just to ease the situation and as a customer service. ********** was only charged the labor to replace the tank.
Nothing was done to the vehicle without first getting authorization in advance. ********** was also told that the speedometer was still not reading correctly, although we installed a gear from the dealership with the closest correction available from Chrysler. Further correction will require a speed correction gear box as stated on the repair invoice. ********** was informed there are no longer any speedometer repair facilities in Denver to make a correction gear box.
********** was informed there is no labor guarantee on used parts.

The response that nothing was done without notifying me is absolutely incorrect. I was not informed of the used gas tank switch, I was not told the speedometer was still not working correctly and I was not told that I had the option to put the vehicle back together at no additional charge on top of the performed work that had been done correctly. I also was never told that there was no gaurantee on used parts and they changed the tank to make the used part work which then was a bad part and refused to make it right. Thank you

Complaint Response Date bumped because: Holiday

********** was very difficult to work with and couldn't be pleased no matter what we did. We accepted his credit card dispute to avoid further argument.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

Auto Repair & Service