In Denver & Boulder, Colorado

Enterprise Rent-a-Car

99 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 27 closed in last 12 months
Other1

07/22/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to respond to phone calls or written requests for assistance or support

Complaint: I rented a car through National Car Rental at Denver International Airport on 6/14/14 and returned the car on 6/15/14. When I picked up the car at National I did a thorough inspection of the car and noticed several pieces of damage, including a large scratch/dent on the side of the car, scratches on the left side of the car, and a busted bumper on the front right of the car. I did not notice any hail damage. The associate who rented me the car told me to look for damage and report it to the associate at the rental booth when I went to leave; he did not look over the car for damage himself. I reported the damage I noticed to the associate at the booth. He did not appear to write it down. He did not at any time exit the booth to check for damage or verify the damage that I reported. When I returned the car the next day, the associate looked over the car, acknowledged that it looked good, and printed my receipt. This is when the associate at the car behind us came over to tell her that my rental car had hail damage on the trunk. The associate helping me quickly agreed that the car had hail damage and began to fill out an Express Incident Report. I checked for hail damage and did not see any. She stated that she could see it. At no time during my rental did I drive through rain or hail. The associate stated that the Claims Department would check for hail damage in their records and they would contact me with whether or not they would be pursuing the claim. On 6/17/14 I contacted the Claims department to check the status of my claim as I had not yet heard back from National Car Rental. The associate on the phone told me that they would indeed be pursuing the claim and stated that there was hail in Denver at 3:21 PM, 3:36 PM, and 3:37 PM on 6/14/14. During this time I was attending an outdoor wedding in Conifer, CO and can attest to the fact that there was no hail in the area. My pictures of the wedding ceremony can serve as proof of the weather at the time.
Product_Or_Service: Chevrolet Cruze car rental
Order_Number: Claim #********
Account_Number: ********************

We have completed our investigation into the hail damage to the vehicle and have determined Ms. Camper to not be responsible for it. We have closed our claim.

Complaint Response Date bumped because: Holiday

07/14/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: My insurance company secured a rental car from Enterprise (3586 Hartsel Dr #G Colorado Springs CO 80920) for me while I had a car being worked on. The company is claiming 4-5 very small "dings" of hail damage and submitting a claim.I have several bad business practices to report:(1) When I checked the vehicle out, there was no observable damage.(2) When I turned it in ten days later, the company checked it in but stated they needed to wash the car to make sure there was no other damage. I offered to stay, but the employee said they could not wash the car (under-staffed). I took pictures of the vehicle and left. 2-hours later I was contacted by the office and they related there were four "dings" of hail damage (please note it did not hail over the past ten days). I stated I'd be right over to verify the alleged damage, but they had already rented the vehicle to another customer. I asked if pictures had been taken, none were.(3) I contacted the manager and asked why a vehicle would be given to another customer without reporting the alleged damage to me first. Additionally, I asked why the vehicle wouldn't be taken to a garage for an estimate, but they stated the vehicle was needed. he explained the normal policy would be to turn the vehicle in for a claim.(4) Eventually, the manager stated they would ask the new renter to bring the vehicle back; I returned to the office at 4:00pm to verify the damage. I was only able to detect the minor dings with the assistance of a "zebra sheet" (striped piece of paper which was NOT used during check out) to see the "dings." There were definitely 4-5 VERY SMALL "dings" but they were undetectable to the eye. The employee stated they would turn the vehicle on for a quote and I'd be contacted regarding the claim. I immediately contacted the manager and asked him to see if this is a fair expectation to detect at check-in and encouraged him to come verify the damage, he did not come in.
Product_Or_Service: Car Retal
Order_Number: Reference #******
Account_Number: Rental Agreement ***

This claim has been closed and Enterprise will not be pursuing Mr. Anderson for this damage. The tool (zebra sheet) used to help idenify hail should have been used when the vehicle was checked out to Mr. Anderson. It is not Enterprises policy to not perform the same check out of a vehicle as the check in of a vehicle.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
I appreciate the BBB allowing me to elevate this issue and for Enterprise swiftly looking into the matter. Thanks for your time and consideration.

07/11/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Sales presentation did not disclose complete pricing information

Complaint: A few months ago I had my father in laws car in for work at ****** Auto Body. He passed away a few months earlier, and his insurance company, State Farm, was paying for the claim. When I came to drop the car off I was asked if I wanted a rental car by ****** staff. I assumed the rental car came with the insurance as they offered it and they were the ones dealing with State Farm on the claim. I told them yes, why not. They had Enterprise bring over a car within 10 minutes. At no time was I shown options of different cars and prices, just hurriedly asked to sign here, initial here, etc and give a credit card for damage deposit. When I got in the car, it reeked like cigarette smoke, the rental agent must have been smoking in the car it was so fresh. I reported this to them. The body shop took almost three weeks to finish the work. When they finally called me to tell me it was done, I dropped off the rental and picked up my car. The next day, I received a call from Enterprise telling me the insurance didn't pay for the claim and I owed them over $600. I told them I would have never accepted the car had I known I would have to pay for it, and that they should have offered me different models, options, prices, etc. which they did not. They were rude and told me basically tough luck, you signed the contract, we are charging your card. I tried talking to them multiple times, the last time I was treated rudely and hung up on by the girl in the office. The manager that called me didn't work there any more and there was nothing they could do. I posted a negative review on Yelp.com about my experience and was told to contact their customer care department to discuss this issue. I did this immediately. At least five times I have been promised someone would follow up with me, the last two times someone from their corporate office was to call as I had gotten no where with the Golden Regional Office. It has been over two months without follow up. I have 5 emails from them promising to call

Customer was contacted last week by Enterprise. After discussing the issues with miscommunication, Enterprise and Mr. *********** came to a resolution that worked for both parties. We look forward to doing business with him and his family again the in the future.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal

From: badlanders@******t.net (mailto:badlanders@******t.net)
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 8:28 AM
To: Better Business Bureau
Subject: Re: BBB Complaint Case# ******** (Ref#************************)

The matter is resolved. Thank you for your help!!!

07/08/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: rental was filthy upon receipt, clerk wrote in the customer states area what she thought was wrong and demanded I sign when I did not state that.FRAUD
I picked up my vehicle on 5/24, previous day there was a huge hail storm. The standard size car was not available they made me take a truck instead. The outside was flithy and Tangea my rep said it was normal for this time of year, tar dirt, etc. The inside looked vaccummed and clean at first glance. I took the truck as I had flown all night and was already late. Five minutes in the inside was filthy, sticky, and gross. I was going to call and complain but my schedule was too busy so I dealt with it. Upon returning I told the check in girl how it was, she apologized then asked for my insurance for "hail damage". I stated I wasn't in hail, I didn't arrive till the day AFTER the big storm. She stated she could tell there was damage, I said,"How? There was no way she could tell that, that it was dark under there and there was pollen and dirt on the car. " She told me they do an investigation and I needed to sign her paper. Upon looking at her paper it said customer states there is hail damage on vehicle found. I NEVER STATED THAT. In fact, I stated the opposite and complained that the vehicle was in crappy condition and that there was NOT a hail storm where I was staying, and that she was crazy was NOT an insurance adjuster and without the vehicle ever being cleaned how could she possibly say that!! ultimately I signed the form but I wrote on the top I was in complete disagreement with what was being said and did not acknowledge responsibility for any so-called hail damage when I was not physically in the state when the hail storm passed through. This was nuts she would write her opinion in the customer states area and expect me to agree with her and sign off when I couldn't physically even SEE the damage she was talking about. This is fraud, this is a way to CYA for enterprise and claim on a hail storm on my insurance vs there own. Absolute BS and not only that, the vehicle was disgusting. I had to by disinfectant wipes just to touch the steering wheel. I was supposed to be in a car. I graciously accepted a truck which changed my cost from 122. from 267. because of gas... I have rented with Enterprise for years and NEVER have I heard so much BS or been treated so studpidly. I worked in the car business for 15 years as a controller, I worked with them all time and NEVER have heard of them deciding damage on a vehicle without being able to SEE damage or writing their opinion and then demanding the customer to say thats what they said. FRAUD. I know customer service is important. I cannot believe I got treated like this from Enterprise.

We have been attempting to contact customer to discuss complaint. We are waiting on return response from customer.

05/15/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: Enterprise accuses you of damages you didn't do because you didn'tget their "additional insurance'. Monday, March 31 I rented a vehicle at 421 N Chelton Rd because my car was in shop for body work. Another insurance company was footing the bill. The sales people were standing around complaining that the "new guy" won the insurance upsell contest last week. The young man took me to the car, that was wet from being washed and sat in the car while I stood outside with large wind gusts while he tried to get me to buy additional insurance. On the contract he wrote in huge letters "Allstate $500" because that was my deductible and I refused to buy additional insurance. I found damage on the back of he car - scratches that he ignored, but wrote down after I said something about it. The car was wet, so I could not see any other damages.Fast forward to Friday, April 4. I didn't have a ride, so the body shop called the Enterprise (*** W Colorado Ave) closer to them to pick up he car. The young man didn't talk to me, he just took the keys and drove off. An hour or so later, I get a phone call that the car has hail damage in the back and I am responsible for it. There has been no hail in Colorado Springs since Monday, March 31 so I did not cause the problem. She let me know that doesn't matter, it was not noted and I was liable. I then called the Enterprise I rented from, they said the car had to be taken to the body shop and they would let me know what the damage was until it comes back to them some time next week. What is wrong with these people? Now I have to wait until they decide how much money I owe them for something their people overlooked and knew about? They also took a $50 cash deposit from me. I imagine this is going to be a roller coaster ride. All because I didn't get the additional insurance.Guess what. I will never use another Enterprise again and will let everyone I know about this.
Product_Or_Service: Rental car
Account_Number: 76RSWT

Please close this case. The location in Colorado Springs did not charge me with the damage that was already noted in the original rental agreement. I am now happy.

02/03/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to substantiate charges

Complaint: To make a 2 month battle very brief:While our car was in the shop, the dealership rented us a comparable vehicle from Enterprise. While it was parked in a parking garage, someone scratched the front passenger corner bumper. Upon turning the vehicle back into Enterprise, this damage was noted by manager **** as the only new damage. (Additional, pre-existing damage had been documented.) **** told me that they would get an estimate on the repair cost, and that if I did not like the cost, I could get a second estimate. I signed off only on some bumper scratches.We then received in the mail some incredibly unprofessional grainy photos (which aren't even high enough resolution to show the license plate number clearly) purporting to show further damage and received notification that the car had been fixed WITHOUT giving us an estimate first. We were billed for damages not related to the bumper (and which I certainly never signed off on or even witnessed, and which the photos do not show). I was also charged a bunch of absurd add-on fees, which an insurance agent I consulted told me any insurance company would decline. These include "administrative fees," "loss of use fees," and "loss of value" fees.All of this information is further detailed in the letter which I sent to Enterprise. I received a phone call from a female claims agent, who admitted that I was charged for things I should not have been. She told me I would be receiving a modified bill with the charges adjusted.I never received said modified invoice, and when I called and spoke to the same agent, she changed her story and said she would only take $100 off of the bill. She also claimed that **** never had the authority to promise us a second opinion. If that is the case, they need to deal with **** on that issue. The fact is, he promised it to us.We then received a letter from Enterprise a few days later, claiming that they had never received any response from us to their original letter and bill. Unprofessional.
Product_Or_Service: Rented 2013 Chrysler Town & Country
Account_Number: Claim # ********

A refund for the difference was submitted 05/09 to be processed for the customer. The Area Manager contacted the renter to inform of the refund on 05/09 via phone and email.

This is now our second complaint (first was BBB CASE#:**********. Conditions of first complaint were not met.

Enterprise needs to clear our "debt."
These were the terms of resolving BBB CASE#********: "We expect the refund to be accompanied by paperwork acknowledging the damage as paid in full, so that we have it in writing."

The paperwork did not accompany the refund and was never received.

In November 2013, while traveling overseas (and therefore not having the luxury of avoiding Enterprise as a car rental option), we reserved an Enterprise vehicle online. There were no issues and the online system processed our reservation.

We arrived at the UK Enterprise desk, and had wonderful service (much better than we received at the Enterprise office we have filed BBB claims against). We were glad to see that Enterprise international operates more effectively than its domestic branch. The Enterprise employees proceeded through the entire reservation process and had retrieved our vehicle, before the system locked them out.

We were informed that the Enterprise system now has us blacklisted as customers due to unpaid vehicle damage, and that the UK branch could not override this. We were told only the branch that blacklisted us can remove the block.

Per the conditions of our previous BBB settlement, this is not the case and our bill is paid.

Complaint Resolution: Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process.

12/16/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Sales presentation misrepresented the product

Complaint: I rented a car from Enterprise due to my car being in the repair shop. It was rented from the afternoon of Sept 16, 2013 to the morning of Sept 18, 2013. When we went to rent the car, it had rained earlier that day before we even got the car. Still cloudy but no further rain for the rest of the day and up until we returned the car. When doing the inspection, the car was soaked. The rep helping us wiped a small portion of the roof off. In that small section, while in the garage with no light and it still being cloudy outside from the earlier rain, we obviously saw no damages. How could we have possibly even seen anything when visibility was terrible?? Rented the car. When we returned the car, they claim that we put severe hail damage on the car. It never hailed in our area and now we are being held responsible for it. We understand that we signed the contract saying no hail on it, but we were asked to inspect the car in AWFUL conditions. A mistake could of EASILY been done, even the manager that helped us rent the car in the first place admitted that he could of made that mistake. Will he admit to it now, more than likely not because they will do whatever they want to favor them. So, they said they will have to do an 'investigation'. No one has ever called us during this 'investigation' or anything to let us know what is going on. We then all of a sudden get a letter stating all the damages that we are 'responsible' for and have to pay with no explanation. Was any research even done??? Did they check past records of previous renters for any damages, previous weather days when that car was just sitting there and it got damage, did they even check reliable weather sources for the days WE had the car? Nothing was told to us. We have been doing research ourselves and found from The National Weather Service that yes, there was scatered showers across our areas but there were no reports of hail, AT ALL. So if the NWS is saying NO HAIL in our area, why are we being held responsible???? And it is extremely sad how these people can even LIVE in our area and still claim that we caused hail damage. It just proves that they dont care and are solely in it for the money and free repairs. Also, I am not the first person to have issues like this, apparently that company, or at least that location, according to reviews AND people I know personally have had the same issue of the company accusing them of damages they did not committ.
I attached one copy of the weather reports from the national weather service that shows on the days we rented the car, there was no hail. it says 0 (zero)

Due to the following circumstances, the disputed claim will continue to be pursued.

* The customer's wife Natasha did contact our DRU (Consolidated Damage Recovery Unit) team to dispute the damage the first part of September. File notes indicate she told them that they picked up the car while it was raining on the 16th (around the noon hour) and that the Enterprise team did pull the vehicle in to a garage to do the pre-rental inspection.

* Our Risk Management team verified that hail was reporting in Colorado Springs at 3:41 p.m. on 9/16 and thus advised that we pursue for the damages.

* **** ******** spoke to the customer on or about the 7th to notify him that we would need to collect for damages. In addition, Gerber Collision reached out regarding the claim as well and researched it with Enterprise and advised the customer that it would be pursued.

* There is no indication that the damage was prior and, as such, we have submitted the claim to Mr. *******'s carrier, USAA.

I still believe that this company and everyone working in it are extremely scandalous and are solely in it to steal peoples money away. They know how to work around systems and even if caught, they have the money and best lawyers to still win. This company and everyone in it has truly given our family **** for their lies and caused us to be in debt for their deviousness. I know I am not the only one this company and location has screwed over. We did NOT cause the damages. Of course I cannot fight this any further but we just want to do our part to help other potential customers to not be screwed and abused by such terrible people and Company. So in reality, I do NOT accept what they have to say but I know there is not much more I can do. I can only hope to have others read what happened to us so it does not happen to them. Enterprise is by far the absolute WORSE rental place we have EVER used! From not only customer service, but the quality of product and how they misrepresent them. They are terrible people.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

12/02/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to substantiate charges

Complaint: On August 29, 2013 I rented a car from Enterprise Car Rental. I returned it the next day and was released with no damage to the car. About a month later I recieved a letter from them caliming that I had damaged the car and telling me to pay over $500 damages. They have no documentation to back up this claim except some pictures that were taken two weeks after I rented the car. They have agreed to reduce the charges, but I should not have to pay for damages that I did not do.This office is at 803 Colorado Ave., Colorado Springs, CO
Product_Or_Service: 2013 Dodge Black Aven - Rented
Account_Number: XXXXXX

Mr. ***** returned the rental during business hours and scraped the car entering the parking lot on return. This damage has been reviewed with the customer and Risk Manager at Enterprise and for customer service, the customer was offered to settle this claim for $185.40.

I do not accept their explanation of this event. However, I have been advised by my attorney to settle with them. I want to make it clear that I did not damage their car and I do not owe them anything for the damage to the car. They initially indicated that their records showed that I had damaged a car. The only thing I ask was to show me a copy of the record showing that I had damaged the car. They could not do that because there is no record showing that. As a last resort they are threatening to ruin my credit. With no other option, I am paying their extortion money to save my credit record. I AM ADVISING EVERYONE NOT TO DO BUSINESS WITH ENTERPRISE-RENT-A-CAR.

We feel we have made every effort to reach a fair resolution this matter. Our offering to lower it to $185.40 still stands, but this is in an effort to reach an agreement to move forward. The claim has been investigated and the claim is valid.

08/23/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Inappropriate behavior by customer service personnel

Complaint: Sexual innuendo made by employee and failure to provide service.

Had a car reservation made for August 16, 2013. Spoke to enterprise and confirmed that a car was needed today even though I was not picking it up at 9 am as originally reserved for. Went to pick up car, while waiting in line for my turn the employee asked if I was with another customer and when I said no, he looked at the other customer and back to me and said "he wishes he was with you" along with a creepy laugh. The situation was very uncomfortable and awkward. At the end of it all, I was still without the rental I reserved and there was no intention on the employee's part of offering further assistance for releasing a car that was reserved.

Hello Ms. ***,
I received your voicemails, so thank you for calling us back. I apologize for any inconvenience or for making you feel you had to spend more time on this situation than you wanted. Our goal was to try and fix the situation for and make you a completely satisfied customer. These cases we take very seriously.
It is our understand you do not wish to be contacted further and we will respect your wishes. Please know, if there is any further resolution we can provide please do not hesitant to let either of us know.
Thank you again for sharing your concern; we truly wish you decide to come back to Enterprise for your next rental need.

I gave Enterprise all the details necessary and have not heard that they have even addressed this with their employee, which is at the heart of the matter. Their response is the usual corporate gibberish to protect themselves. My goal was to share my experience, which now I have with BBB and Enterprise directly, now close the case if you wish. Regardless, I will not Enterprise again and will continue to share my experience with my friends, co-workers and loved ones and by way of online reviews.

08/06/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Unauthorized credit card charges

Complaint: On 07/30/2013 Enterprise illegally force charged one of my company credit cards($2,806.10) that had in fact been closed as of 05/24/2013 for theft. We have had nothing but billing problems from this company counting in nearly $4,000.00 in disputed charges with the company. Months after returning a vehicle the manager ************ falsified a claim with his company that we damaged a vehicle that was in fact leased to another person at that time. This company's practices borderline illegal business practices. We have notified our bank(chase) of the illegal transfer and they instructed us to call the police as they investigate the charge. We are currently waiting for an officer's response. Our business dealing with enterprise had closed as of April 01 2013 due to their illegal charges then to our company credit cards. They in fact over charged us $3093.00 and we have been trying to re-coupe those funds. This current charge which they force ran on a card that was closed months earlier as stolen by the card issuer chase bank solidifies their deceitful business practices. We are requesting that Enterprise return all funds legally owed to *************. Now totaling $5899.10 immediately.

The complainant has been unresponsive to our repeated requests to go over his billing disputes as well as to maintain an appropriate deposit on his rental vehicle. As late as 6/7 the customer was still in possession of a rental vehicle and it was returned with damage. We have made numerous attempts to contact the complainant to rectify the situation for outstanding balances owed but they do not return any phone calls and have been unwilling to go over the concerns. We are still actively trying to resolve this matter with the complainant but we are not getting any cooperation.

Enterprise has not cooperated until we were forced to file a felony theft report against them. Their branch manager was in possession of the truck when the alleged damage would have supposedly occurred. We were never notified of any damage, enterprise illegally did what ***** bank calls a "force" charge on a closed credit card. Meaning the branch physically inputed the credit card number that was closed due to theft, duplicated a previous authorization code, changed the amount and even though it was declined used their credit charging system to force the charge through. This is credit card fraud according to ***** Bank. We have filed a felony theft report against this branch at the direction of ***** Bank with the lakewood police department. They are currently investigating.

We have attempted to resolve this several times with enterprise and have been given the proverbial run around. We have also done research on Enterprise and have found that this is their typical business operations. We have been contacted by over two dozen people that enterprise has committed these same illegal actions against and are currently communicating with 9 news on your side concerning this case. They are also investigating with all parties involved.

If enterprise does not return all monies they illegally over charged my credit card($3903.00 and $2806.10) it is my full intention to host a very public class action lawsuit against them, with the help of 9 news, and all aforementioned parties. We will continue to search out all parties nationwide that have had the same type of dealings with enterprise. If the numbers of complainants reach applicable levels we will proceed to the appropriate federal court system and seek damages, and attorney's fees.

06/07/2012Problems with Product / Service
05/12/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Contract Complaint Issue

Complaint: Enterprise is charging the University of Rhode Island $1,694.61 for a van for which we have a contract for $942.06
This complaint is filed for two reasons: the failure of Enterprise to properly charge the University for a rented van; and the failure of Enterprise management to return my phone calls to discuss the problem, over an 8 day period of time.
The University rented 3 - 15 passenger vans to perform flood relief and Habitat Home Building operations in the Denver area from 8-15 March, for a contracted price of $942.06 each. Two vans were returned without problems on March 15; the third van was running late, and, after dropping off students at the airport, had a flat tire on the way to the rental return location. The driver did not want to damage the tire, and pulled into the closest dealership (AVIS). She explained the problem to AVIS - who assured her that there would be no problem with getting the van returned to Enterprise, and offered to take her to the airport so she could make her plane. Once at the airport, the driver contacted Enterprise and explained that the van had been left in the AVIS lot, and was assured by the operator that there would be no problem. Once we returned to Rhode Island, I called Enterprise on March 18 to inquire about billing as I had not received a charge for the third van. The clerical staff indicated that the van had not yet been returned to Enterprise, so they could not yet close the account; that charges would continue to accrue until the van was returned. This was contrary to the position taken by the AVIS representative, and by the Enterprise clerk contacted by the driver the day the van was left in the AVIS lot. I requested to speak to the Manager, and the clerical staff told me the manager was not available, and that they would notify him of my request.
Several days later my credit card was charged $1,636.67 (as opposed to the $942.06 charged to the other vans) with no email, no explanation of the charge, and no call from the manager.
Over the last week I have called Enterprise at least three additional times with requests to speak with the Manager to resolve this issue. To date there has been no response. No phone call, no explanation of the charge, and itemizing of the cost. On March 23 I filed a disputed charge with my credit card company and asked that they not pay the bill for the third van.
The additional charge is unwarranted: had the flat tie occurred across town, roadside assistance would have been called and there would be no issue. The fact this occurred within sight of the Enterprise lot, and Enterprise could not recover their own vehicle as a result of a flat tire, is unacceptable customer service. The failure of management to return my repeated phone calls to discuss the charge is inexcusable.

Complaint Resolution: Company failed to respond to BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.

Auto Renting & Leasing