Dealership assessed nearly $300 in non-disclosed fees. Vehicle damaged that occurred prior to delivery that dealership refuses to fix.
Ralph Schomp MINI claims to be a no hidden fee dealership. I was told repeatedly the price we agreed to plus a $750 shipping fee is all I would pay. I was assessed a $27.50 financing fee and paid $245.80 in registration fees that Ralph Schomp MINI claimed they would cover.
The vehicle was shipped from Ralph Schomp MINI to my residence in Portland, OR. I was told the reason shipping was more expensive than I was accustomed to was that it would be insured during transit. Any damage that occurred would be fixed. I took delivery of the vehicle on 12/24/2013 a approximately 7:00pm. After washing the car I learned there was damage to the bonnet (hood) and the inside of the driver\'s door. I have contacted the dealer multiple times and my phone calls are not returned. I contacted MINI USA and received a voice mail from a sales manager. I called the sales manager back, left a message, and never received another phone call from him.
I am seeking two items in settlement:
1) To be reimbursement for the $273.30 in undisclosed fees that I was assessed.
2) Have the damage to the bonnet and door of my car fixed.
Fees issues: Yes, Ralph Schomp MINI is very proud to say that we do not charge Dealer Handling Fees. The $27.20 fee and the only fee Mr. ****** was charge, was to file a lien with the state because he obtained financing and that is a state fee, not our fee. If Mr. ****** doesn't believe he should pay that fee, we will be happy to send a check for $27.20 to Mr. ******. The $245.80 registration fee that Mr. ****** is referring to, is a registration fee that was collected by his state from him and it was not collected by Ralph Schomp MINI. In Colorado dealers DO NOT collect registration fees and we did not do so. Mr. ****** is responsible to pay for registering his vehicle with his state.
Damage Issue: Mr. ****** purchased the vehicle out of state and required shipping of the vehicle from Colorado to Portland. The shipping company that we arranged is insured and we previously used without any issues. The shipping company picked up Mr. ******' MINI and inspected the vehicle at the time. The vehicle was in perfect shape and did not have any damage. We released the vehicle to the shipping company and at that moment we were no longer owners of the vehicle and were not responsible for anything that happens after that point. While the vehicle is in possession of the shipping company, they are insured and 100% responsible for anything that may happen.
I also advised Mr. ****** to make sure he inspects the car before he takes the delivery from the shipping company and if there is any damage, the shipping company would be liable.
Shipping company dropped the vehicle off with Mr. ******, he inspected the car and signed off that the car is perfect and at that point transaction was completed.
I do not understand why Mr. ****** is upset with us at all. We did everything we promised we would. I also don't understand why Mr. ****** wants us to pay for his registration fees and for damage that was caused to his car after he took possession of the vehicle. Please feel free to call me or email me with further questions.
(The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
There are a few key facts missing from Ralph Schomp MINI's response.
Fees: I was told multiple times throughout the process when I tried to negotiate the purchase price of the vehicle that the number at the bottom of the vehicle specification sheet emailed to me plus a $750 shipping fee was all that I would pay. I specifically asked ****, my salesperson, if there would be any additional registration or titling fees and he again indicated the price I saw was the price I'd pay. Ralph Schomp MINI's reply to my BBB complaint on May 1, 2014 is the first time they have ever communicated they are willing to do anything to resolve this matter. I would welcome the check for $27.20 but I have yet to see it as of May 12, 2014
Damage: Ralph Schomp MINI has left out a key facts regarding the damage to my vehicle. They are as follows:
- Ralph Schomp MINI acted as the agent in contracting with the shipping company. I did not contract directly with them so I did not have their name, contact information, or terms of the contract.
- My vehicle was delivered to Portland, OR on December 24, 2013 at approximately 8:00pm. It was extremely dirty after having been hauled 1000 miles through a winter storm and it was dark that time of night so I could not fully inspect it. I informed the driver of this and made a note on the invoice I signed. I ask for a copy of the paperwork but was told I can follow up with the Ralph Schomp MINI for a copy.
- I hand wash the vehicle on the morning of December 25, 2013 before driving it and found the damage to the hood and inside of the driver's door. I informed **** at Ralph Schomp MINI of the issues via email that morning and followed up with multiple phone calls to **** and others starting on December 26, 2013 that all went unreturned.
- Since I do not know the name of the shipping company, I do not have their contact information, and I do not have any information to identify this transaction (e.g. invoice number) I am unable to file a claim with them directly. I have explained this to Ralph Schomp MINI multiple times.
In the past twelve days here is a history of my interactions with Ralph Schomp MINI:
- 5/1, ***** *********** calls and leaves a voice mail that I am assuming is in response to my BBB complaint
- 5/2, I called ***** ********** back and leave a messaged with Ralph Schomp MINI's sales department (no call returned)
- 5/5, I called and leave a message in ***** ************* voice mail (no call returned)
- 5/9, I called Ralph Schomp MINI's sales department and leave a message for ***** ********** to call me back no call returned)
- 5/10, I called ***** ********** at Ralph Schomp MINI's sales department and leave a message for him to call me back at around 10:00am Pacific time (no call returned)
- 5/10, I called ***** ********** and learn from Ralph Schomp MINI's sales department that he has left for the day. I ask for the sales manager on duty, **** ******** **** takes down my information and indicates he will follow up with ***** ***********
- 5/12, On the morning of May 12th I have not heard back from ***** ********** or **** ********
I would welcome a discussion with Ralph Schomp MINI to resolve this matter. My service during the sale was quite good but as you can see once they sold a vehicle there has been no appetite to even speak to me on this matter.
Final Consumer Response
Unfortunately this matter remains unresolved and Ralph Schomp Mini's assertion that they have responded several times is just not true. In their 5/12/2014 response to my complaint they specifically stated they would be happy to refund one of the non-disclosed fees assessed to me ($27.20). I invited them to contact me and refund this amount but they never did. However, the larger issue is the damage to my vehicle which they have to this day failed in any steps to resolve. As of 6/19 they provided the name of the trucking company (six months after I initially inquired) but have made no attempt to resolve this issue.
Posting a complaint on Ralph Schomp Mini to the BBB has resulted in far more dialog than I have been able to get independently since I signed papers on my car. In the past six months I have received two phone calls from Ralph Schomp Mini on this matter both of which were voice mails. Upon returning their calls within 24 hours I too left messages which went unanswered.
Ralph Schomp Mini's responses to Denver BBB are generally misleading and not in line with the facts. I strongly encourage potential customers to be wary of this dealership. I have bought and sold a number of new an used cars in my lifetime and the after the sale customer service here is the poorest I have ever seen.
Final Business Response
Check is being Fed Exed to Mr. ****** for $27.20 today. Check number is XXXXXX, fed ex tracking code is XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX. All other issues have been answered and repeated multiple times. Mr. ****** has been called multiple times and has not called back for the last three attempts.