Denver & Boulder, Colorado

BBB Accredited Business since 03/01/1994

McCaddon Cadillac Buick Pontiac GMC, Inc.

08/27/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Had frt brake job on Saturn. Service rep told me Saturn cars had to pay extra $125 to have the brakes bled. This was false.
3/11/13. Front brake job on 2004 Saturn Vue. Service rep ********** says all Saturns must pay extra $125 to have brakes bled. On invoice I was charged with Brake Fluid System Service with BG fluid kit, an unnecessary, unrelated service for $122.88. I feel this is a gimmick which has no value to a consumer. I called Emich Chevrolet and Go Chev, both service Saturn for GM, as does McCaddon. Both told me an extra charge for Saturn is not true, that bleeding the brakes is part of a brake job. See invoice **********. Paid on 3/11/13 with Visa.

Refund of $122.88. for unnecessary work. Paid on 3/11/13 with Visa.
This "Brake Fluid System Service with BG Fluid kit" is a gimmick that McCaddon can try to sell to anyone having brake work done. This system, **** ***** told me, replaces the brake fluid and provides a "Lifetime Protection Plan" which covers nearly every part of the car for nearly forever. What a gimmick. The main point is I should not have been charged anything extra beyond the regular price of replacing brake pads and turning the rotors, which was $159.90 at McCaddon, Emich had quoted $90-110.

Vehicle was brought in March 11, 2013. *** ****** requested diagnosis for three separate issues, one of which was an intermittent brake warning lamp. His other requests were a chattering noise when engine is started, an intermittent popping noise from the exhaust when letting off the gas, a 27 point inspection, car wash and an oil change.

ASE Master Tech *** **** determined front brake pad/rotor wear was causing the brake fluid level sensor to illuminate the warning lamp. All that was required to correct this condition was a front axle brake-job. When the brake caliper pistons are returned to the new brake pad position brake fluid is returned to the master cylinder automatically which opens the contacts on brake fluid level sensor enabling the warning lamp to go off.

*** also found the front stabilizer links were causing the intermittent popping noise however; the complaint of a noise when the engine is started could not be duplicated. Stabilizer link repair was declined by *** ******, there were no fees associated with our diagnostics, the 27 point inspection or car wash.

Service Advisor **** ****** recommended the deglazing and adjustment of the rear brakes with the benefit of longer front brake pad/rotor life due to less friction and heat on the front brakes when stopping. *** ****** agreed with this recommendation and work was completed.

Installing brake pads is not a service that requires bleeding of the brakes or hydraulic system and there is no documentation of a brake bleeding procedure or any charges associated with such a service in our records however, ********** recommended a brake fluid exchange as a maintenance service that comes with a $4000 coverage benefit on lubricated parts contained within the pump, valves, master cylinder, calipers and metalized hoses. *** ****** agreed with this recommendation and work was completed. His $4000 coverage is good for 30k miles from date of service and can offer lifetime coverage if repeated every 30k miles. Coverage is transferable to a different owner if the vehicle is ever sold, enhancing the value of this service even further. Brake fluid is a hydroscopic fluid that will absorb moisture when exposed to the atmosphere. The other issue with brake fluid is copper content, when copper content is too high the fluid becomes corrosive. Corrosive fluid causes internal damage to the pump, valves, master cylinder, calipers and metalized hoses. We test brake fluid for these two deficiencies during routine service and before recommending a fluid exchange service.

On July 19, 2013 at 1:05 pm we mystery shopped Emich Chevrolet by calling ************ on a personal cell phone. Service Advisor *** answered, *** was asked to quote pricing for original equipment brake pads (as installed on *** ******'s vehicle) on a 2004 Saturn VUE with about 60,000 miles. *** quoted us $350.00, which included machining the front rotors. *** was told we were just price shopping today; *** then stated he could go as low as $79.00 by using a "different" grade brake pad and by eliminating the labor for machining of front brake rotors. We recommended and installed the best quality brake pads available for this vehicle; our price was $239.78 with the machining of front brake rotors. This same brake job at Emich Chevrolet costs an additional $110.22.

The $122.00 refund *** ****** is requesting is disappointing because we weren't given an opportunity to clarify any misunderstandings for him before receiving a formal complaint four months after work was completed. Instead of writing a check to *** ****** for $122.00, we propose a credit of $122.00 for *** ****** to use on future service visits for any service of his choosing. Our desire is to clear up this misunderstanding and retain his business.

************
Service Director
Office:***************
Direct: **************
Email:*********************

I took my Saturn to McCaddon Cadillac for a front brake job. The service rep, **********, told me that Saturn cars require an extra procedure to bleed the brakes after a brake job. I took my car to McCaddon because BBB showed them with no unresolved issues, so I felt they were probably honest and were GM certified to work on Saturn. I took **********'s word as being knowledgeable about Saturn. A few days later I had to return to McCaddon for a repair on the brake pedal which was fixed. Since the brake repairs, I had found out that bleeding the brakes is part of a normal brake job. I had been charged $122.88 for extra work that had already been done as part of the brake job. I had been falsely advised by ****, and told **** I wanted my $122.88 back. He said he couldn't do that. I complained to the BBB. McCaddon offered $120.00 in service credit which I could use for other service. I am very disappointed and do not wish to drive from Arvada to Boulder to a dealer that turned out not to be honest after all. I am 72 years old and not well. The service rep clearly lied to me and a fair settlement is to refund the $122.88.

I was lied to by **********, who knew what a brake job entailed.

The only conclusion we can come to is a communication break-down between Advisor ********** and *** ****** on March 11, 2013. We are an honorable family owned and operated company that has always placed customer-care as our number one priority. We performed the factory brake pad replacement procedure as described in Saturn's repair information. Document ID:******* of the 2004 Saturn Vue repair manual gives clear instruction on brake pad replacement, nowhere does it instruct the Technician to bleed the brakes as part of brake pad replacement. The recommendation we made for a brake fluid exchange was based off of logic from the two different chemical tests we performed on *** ******'s brake fluid.

It's truly unfortunate *** ****** declined our offer of an in-store credit because our hope was to clear up this misunderstanding and continue the relationship. Our decision is to refund *** ****** the $122.88 he is requesting, not because we misrepresented this service, but because he feels this is a fair conclusion. The 30k component coverage benefit that came with this service will remain active for *** ****** as well.

************, Service Director