BBB Accredited Business since 08/20/2007

B.C. Sims Roofing & Home Improvement

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

12/26/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Been waiting since April 2014. for repairs bathroom due to a leak from the installed roof and repair to my gutters which have been leaking. (Put off)
Replace roof 2013 had leak still not fixed.

Fix my ***** house!

BBB manager spoke to company owner by phone who indicated this customer concerns had been resolved. He indicated they had fixed the gutter and the leak. He also provided customer funds for painting.

08/29/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

We have a five-year warranty on the full roof replacement completed in May 2011, but we can't get in touch with Mr. **** to complete needed repairs.
We LOVE the work that B.C. Sims Roofing has done on our house, but this year we're having trouble getting warranty repairs completed. This winter we noticed a leak in an upstairs bedroom and significant bowing on the back porch roof. We called Mr. **** in February to schedule service; however, the rough winter weather did not allow for repair at that time. We began calling again in April and have left messages, but have not received any call backs. We did get in touch with a foreman, ******* a few times, and in May he came out to look at the damage. (This was after he failed to show up for two previously scheduled appointments, and he did not call to cancel either one.) He said he would be back the following Saturday (June 7) to complete the work, but he did not show up and did not call to cancel. We got in touch with ****** again last weekend, and he said he would come after lunch on Monday, July 7, but he did not show up or call to cancel. We have left messages again since then and have had no response.

The damage in the upstairs bedroom is getting worse each time it rains and the roof over the back porch is bowing more.

We would really appreciate BBB's help in getting in touch with Mr. **** and getting our roof issues repaired. Mr. **** has done many jobs for us in the past and we have always been pleased with the work. We just hope to get on his schedule ASAP before more damage occurs!

Repair of the leak over the upstairs bedroom and repair of the bowing roof by the end of July. Full roof inspection by the end of July to ensure that no other issues are present.

BC Sims Roofing has been in contact with the customer. The roof repair has been completed to the customer's satisfaction as of 8/7/2014.

As of today, we are happy to report that one of the two issues has been completed! :)

The back porch roof was torn off and re-roofed on Saturday, August 2. It looks much, much better than before! The roof appears to be slightly concave in the center (not along the seam with the house, but about halfway vertically and horizontally). We'll keep an eye on it and see if it settles out. Perhaps Mr. **** could take a look at it and see what he thinks?

To our knowledge, the issue on the main roof of the house has not been addressed. The roof above an upstairs bedroom is leaking. (The exact location is on the south side of the house, just above and to the east of the western-most window. The leak extends about 3 feet into the room from the south wall.)

Thank you very much!

12/10/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The job performed was not acceptable. First I ask for repairs be made, after a period of time I ask for a refund.
I accepted a proposal from B.C Sims to put a new roof on my house. The job was started late October after paying half of the proposed amount, after 1/4 of the job was completed I noticed the wrong color of material was being used,i was worried about the weather conditions and the roofers had already torn the old material off I informed them that the color was wrong but fearing bad weather I let them complete the job and paid the rest of the amount in full. I then contacted the ****************** told him I was not happy with the job, that there was poor workman ship and damage to my gutter and siding. He said he would come out and go over the issues with me an have them resolved.I contacted my son (***)to help me with the issues. When the sales manager showed up he an my son went aroung the house.The damaged gutter was repaired by piecing some of the old gutter with a piece of new they had and it looked terrible.The drip edges were not cut in,The valleys were not correct,The roof caps were uneven and several other flaws and then ****** said he would have the repairs done after his crew finished on some other jobs they were committed to,The weather turned bad and the repairs were never completed after several attempts at calling them They finally came back out in late March At which time I wanted the whole roof redone in the color I had selected.They returned and they agreed to do the roof but said it would be 3 to 4 months because they had no money. I agreed and contacted them in July and Mr **** said he would be out with color samples on August 10.I had decided by then to ask for a refund, Mr.**** said he was sorry and nothing like this had ever happened and ask me for a few weeks to refund And he and his Son ****** took the remaining shingles that were left over from the Job and left.On August 24th I called Mr.**** to inquire about my money and he said he did not have it and that I should contact a lawyer because I would have to take him to court.I paid Half up front by check and the other half by check when the job was completed, There was no contract nor did a sign any type of contract for this job only a proposal I had asked for an itemized list of cost for materials and labor and was told that they don't do that. I would just like some help in resolving this matter asap so I can have my roof done before the bad weather comes in.

I would like to receive the full amount refunded for the job.

We attempted without success to respond to the complaint on-line. The following is ***** ****' response:

We were doing a tear off and installing shingles on the roof when Mr. **** said 'that's not the right
shingle'. We were halfway done. He told my employee ****** ******* to go ahead and keep that
color, so we did the whole roof. Later on his son came past and started arguing with us. I came back and
we all talked with the father and son. The father did admit about finishing the roof and said it looked good.
The son got mad and said we were trying to take advantage of his dad. He asked us to come back to
fix some things. When we came back he told us his dad wanted a new roof. I told him we will come
back and do the roof. When we came back his son said his father wanted his money back.

In response,the fact that the roof is not leaking is irrelevant, the old roof never leaked, that's not what the complaints are about. A proposal is an estimate that the contractor said they can do the job and is not a CONTRACT...no proposal,estimate or contract was signed by the consumer,i have a copy of the "proposal" that only shows where I paid by check in two installments.In the previous complaints that I have filed, the timeline speaks for itself. Sims was never denied access to my property to repair or replace the roof. The time he kept giving me was unacceptable. It is and was not my fault or problem that Sims Home IMprovement did not have the operating money to correct this issue. There was never an offer of 450.00 dollars to have the repairs done by another contractor.The complait to his business was made 3 days after installation of the roof to make repairs.They never made the effort to do them do to their schedule. In March of this year we were told Mr. **** was out of town and would contact us as soon as possible..When ask about the color selection Mr. **** said he loaned the samples to a friend and never got them back. He then came back to the property and said to give him 3-4 months to come up with the money to re do the roof in the correct color selected. In August10ththis year Mr. **** along with his son and a employee showed up with a different color sample board and that's when I asked for a full refund. He apologized several times and said he would need 2 weeks to refund the money. When I called him on August 24th he told me I wasn't getting a refund and to contact a lawyer. I never changed my mind to the fact that they put the wrong color shingle on the house, the fact that the quality of work in my opinion is poor and looks terrible, And the timeline it has taken them to make this wrong a right. Whatever happen to the saying "the customer is always right" ? We asked repeatedly for a itemized bill of sale for the job and never received one, I was told they don't do business that way. Now once again Sims Home Improvement has caused me stress by dragging these issues out and now the weather is turning bad again before I can get my roof done right.IN the correct color and quality of work.In my opinion Mr. **** has admitted that he made a mistake by the supposed offers he has made in the responses to my complaints...Once again for the record the only offer he made back on August 10thwas to redo the roof in the correct color and I simply asked for a refund to have another contractor do the job.

The customer is being unreasonable, in my opinion, in his demands for a new roof or a refund. He has a new roof. In the time elapsed since this incident (over 8 months) he has never mentioned that his new roof was leaking. That is because the workmanship was good and the roof tear off was done as proposed and agreed upon. The customer signed the proposal that serves as a contract to perform the job as stated. My technician was refused access to the property when we offered to return to do the minor modifications to the job such as repair a gutter, vent, and drip edge. Since the customer did not allow us access to make the final repairs, my offer is to give him $450.00 to pay another licensed and bonded contractor to repair the drip edge, vent, and gutters. In my 10 years of roofing I have never had a color selection error. I believe the customer changed his mind after he saw the color he selected on his roof and did not like it.

Roofing Contractors, Drywall Contractors, Gutters & Downspouts, Home Improvements, Painting Contractors, Siding Contractors, Doors