BBB Accredited Business since 02/20/2007

A-Abel Roofing & Siding, Inc.

2 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

06/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Work not done in accordance with the written estimate.
We had been hearing squirrels in our attic for several weeks. On Monday, December 9, we called A-abel to see if they could check our roof and remove the squirrels. Since we had also just received a phone call to inform us that my father had entered the hospital and we needed to make an emergency trip to ********** A-abel told us they would send someone out the next day. They said the cost would be about $100 & we agreed. On Tuesday Dec. 10, a man came out, walked around the house, noted two holes, and indicated someone would come out and set a trap while we were gone. On the next Friday, Dec. 20, we called A-abel from ********* and were told there had been a snow storm here and they could not get on the roof. On December 24 we arrived back home from ********* and it was apparent that nothing had been done, but we understood the weather had been bad and it would have been difficult for someone to get on the roof. A few days later a different man came out who was supposed to set a trap or a one-way door in front of the holes to keep the squirrels from getting back in. However, he decided not to set a trap and told us he would have A-abel send someone else out here to fix the holes. About a week later a third man came out, walked around the house, noted the same two holes, and told us he was not here to fix the holes but was here to work up an estimate. We received by email an estimate for $375 to remove and rebuild the soffit on the dormer where one hole was and to patch the other hole. We agreed to the estimate. On January 21, two men came out who cut a piece of sheet metal and screwed a piece over each hole. The work took approximately 20 minutes.

A few days later we received a bill for $375, but we also still heard squirrels in the attic. We saw a third hole in the roof, so we called A-abel back. We explained that the estimate was for having the soffit replaced. We did not care that a patch was put on the holes but felt the cost of $375 was too high for the work that was done. A couple of weeks later the same two men who did the work showed up. We talked to them about the bill and told them we were satisfied with the work since they fixed the holes, but the work wasn't the scope of what the estimate was for. One man said he would go back to the office and tell them what work they had done and get the bill adjusted. He also said they would come back later and fix the third hole since there was still ice and snow on the roof. They never came back, and since the third hole was accessible by the homeowner, we fixed it ourselves.

We did not hear anything again from A-abel until April 2 when we received a "past due" bill for $375. I called A-abel and told them that we were told by one of the workers that the bill would be adjusted since the soffit was not replaced and the third hole was never fixed. She said they had planned to send someone out to replace the soffit and fix the third hole for free, but we had never been informed of this and we did not need the soffit replaced. We had already told the worker that we were satisfied with just a patch. She told me she would call me back after she had talked to someone else, and when she did, she told me they would adjust the bill down to only $310. We feel this is still much too high since we already paid them $91.16 and the work they did only took about 20 minutes. I must also mention that, except for the first assessment on December 10, at no other time did anyone call to inform us they were coming out. They would simply show up. We as homeowners always prefer to know when workers are coming to the house so that we can be present when anything is being done.

To resolve this issue, we want this bill reduced to an amount appropriate for the work that was done. We were charged a total of $466.16, reduced only to $409.16, for 20 minutes of work and about $20 worth of material.

We did not quote an hourly charge. See attached quote for $375. The ***** fail to value the cost of sending people out to give the quote and the fact we sent 2 men. Our quote includes the cost of getting to the job, not just the time at the job site. our price was fair and disclosed before hand in written form. We have offered a $65 discount ( close to 20% ) in an effort to make the ****'s happy, it failed and they contacted you. Our $65 discount offer remains open. we made many trips for this money!

The contract stated they would remove and replace soffitts. This was not done and the subsequent installation of a new piece was not done. As far as the repeated visits, the first man who came and noted that, yes, there are two holes, we paid over $90 for. His verbal statement (not captured in the contract) was that he would send someone to the house to set a trap or one way door, and they would have to come every day to check them. Given that, I thought $375 was a reasonable amount. When the trap guy came, he looked around and decided not to set traps. The next guy that came took pictures and went back to work up the estimate. When the two guys came to do the actual repair, they covered the holes with small sheet metal and were here for maybe 20 minutes. If we had known they were only going to cover the holes with pieces of sheet metal, we would not have agreed to pay $375. Considering that we paid $90 for the first guy, and the next two guys did nothing but take a picture, I believe the cost outweighs the service, plus they failed to fulfill the details of the contract. As a side note, there was another hole that the homeowner repaired on his own. I think a price of $150 on top of the $90 is a more fair price.

Will accept consumers offer!

On April 22, 2014 we responded by offering A-Abel $150.00 in additional to $91.16 already paid. They agreed to this amount. We then received a check from A-Abel dated May 6, 2014 for 150.00. There is apparently some confusion on their part, since we suppose to pay them the $150.00, but we have not yet received a bill from them for this amount. We will not be cashing this check.

Thank you so much for your help.

*************** ****

On Friday, May 16, 2014, we received a bill from A-Abel in the amount of $150.00, the amount previously agreed upon. Today, May 19, 2014, we are mailing A-Abel a check for $150.00, check # 1971, as payment in full. We are enclosing in the envelope their check for $150.00 with the word VOID written across it, which they had mistakenly sent to us.

My person misunderstood. We sent a check to the ***** for $150, we were suppose to send a reduced invoice for $150, the resolution requested by the ****** I apologize for the misunderstanding.

04/18/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

A-Abel sent me a proposal for $1,100.00 for gutters and soffits replacement, I signed the contract took out a loan and mailed the second contract back to them. When I called to schedule the work the manager told me that there had been a typo on the proposal and I would owe an additional $1,000.00. I cannot believe they are not going to stand behind their proposal.

I would like for them to honor the proposal.

Our salesman made an addition error. When Ms. ****** called to schedule my salesmen saw that he made an addition error and that the $1,100 price should have been $2,100. Ms. ****** had other quotes and knows our price was way low. Ms. ****** has been caused no harm by us. She has no obligation to take our $2,100 quote. We do not feel it is an unethical practice to refuse to honor a miss quoted price. Ms. ****** is free to use anyone. She is upset that she cannot take advantage of us. We did not take advantage of her!

I was not trying to take advantage of A-Abel I just want them to honor their proposal. I do feel like it is unethical to refuse to honor their proposal. I am also fully aware that I can use anyone I choose to do this work. The purpose of getting quotes is to find the best price and that's what I did. So I am no different from most consumers. I will see them in court, if they choose not to honor their proposal.

We will not do a job for a loss,because my salesmen made a math error, which was caught before any work was done. I do not believe this qualifies as a complainable event. We did no work for Ms. ******. She has not been harmed in any way by my Company. She is upset that she can't take advantage of me. if the BBB invoices me for $50 annual dues which should have been $500, I believe as soon as the error is discovered you will bill me another $450 and tell me to pay or I will be dropped from the BBB. Errors can be corrected.

Roofing Contractors, Windows, Doors, Roof Cleaning & Stain Removal, Windows - Installation & Service, Siding Contractors