Dayton and the Miami Valley

BBB Accredited Business since 01/13/2003

A-1 Roofing and Construction

08/06/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: Roof replaced 11 years ago. Now with storm damage. Insurance adjuster states claim denied due to improper installation of roof by A1 Roofing
I purchased my home from mother's estate in 2007. She had roof replaced by A1 Roofing several years before her death. I now have leaks in roof. I had two roofers out who couldn't believe the terrible job performed by A1 roofing AS WELL as a claims adjuster from Allstate Insurance's National Catastrophe Team. All are in agreement that "a professional roofer did not install this roof". The shingles are/were overnailed (having the pressure too high on a nail gun where the nails are driven THROUGH the shingle) which has caused them to slip down allowing rainwater to enter my home causing damage. **** ****, owner of this "roofing" company, came to inspect my roof on June 15, 2014 and told me the shingles were not overnailed, that high winds have ripped the shingles out from underneath the nails. They obviously didn't use a chalk line either to line up the shingles as in a straight line because they are all wavy. Again, this information from two roofers who together have nearly 70 years in the roofing business PLUS an insurance adjuster. Mr. **** is denying responsibility offering to "fix" my roof for a fee. Granted, it was my mother's home when he did the work and he offers only a five year warranty but how can you warranty a job that was done improperly and by a non professional? I feel that it doesn't matter that I now own the home and it's seven years out of warranty. A roof, if shingled PROPERLY and by a PROFESSIONAL, will last longer than eleven years. The estimates I've recieved to put a new roof on my home, properly and by professionals, will cost me well over $5000.00. I just don't have that kind of money right now and cannot afford to take out another loan. I have all the supporting documentation from Allstate attesting to the FACT that my home's roof was installed improperly by **** ****/A1 Roofing. There are several other issues with the improper installation of the roof but none of which are causing damage like the overnailed shingles. They are cosmetic in nature. It really looks like my roof was done by a bunch of third graders who can't color within the lines. What REALLY frost's my a** is that he had the audacity to tell me that "It's not the end of the world" (regarding my roof leaking and causing damage to my home). In my humble opinion, that statement would be your first clue that he is not a professional. I'm sorry if all this seems a bit snarky. I DID try to first resolve this with Mr. **** but he seems unwilling to accept responsibility and admit to the fact that it IS a bad roofing job on his and his crew's part.

Roofing Contractors, Chimney Builders & Repair, Concrete Contractors, Gutters & Downspouts, Siding Contractors, Windows - Installation & Service, Doors