BBB Accredited Business since 01/01/1978

A Atherton Plumbing, Inc.

11/14/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Did not receive service requested or get any return phone calls.
I called A-Atherton to troubleshoot a water leak in my basement. When the service person arrived he was very helpful and quickly determined that my main water line could be leaking outside the basement wall. He said he would have to call his co worker to inspect it and give an estimate for the repair because it was a large job. He also asked if I had any other plumbing issues. I did have a slow drain in my bathtub which he immediately fixed by cleaning out the pipe in the tub area and in the basement. The bill for service was about $144 which I paid at time of service. I was told by the plumber that his co worker would be calling me to address the water main line leak. I waited for about 2 weeks and never received a phone call or message from anyone so I decided to call the office again. I spoke to a woman who seemed very courteous and helpful. She said she would figure out who could help me and would call me back. I gave her my work phone number and home phone number. It has been 4 days since my call and no one has returned my call or left any messages regarding the service.

I would like an estimate for the repair.

Contact Name and Title: ***** *******
Contact Email: ************************
In response to this complaint, unfortunatlely the call to meet phone number we have was not correct, the extension was a non working extension. Our plumber tried home phone, no answer but decided to go look at the property anyway because it was not necessary for him to get into look at job. **** looked at job on 10/28/2013. We mailed the estimate on 10/29/2013. Mr. ****** should have received his estimate by now. We will call Mr. ****** to make sure he received his estimate. We are sorry if Mr. ****** felt we ignored his request. Thank you.

10/28/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Plumber caused excessive and irrepairable damage to interior wall while fixing a pipe. Left ugly gaping hole. Told me to fix it up myself.
Plumber was returning from previous week to more thoroughly fix leaky exterior faucets. He had verbally quoted me $200-250 for the job; ended up being charged over $300. For one of the faucets he had to cut an access hole in our recreation room wall. This hole ended up being large and very poorly cut. In addition, he dropped the cutout piece inside the wall and could not retrieve it. Therefore, the repair of the wall will take more time and probably cost more than the whole faucet repair. (A plumber would tell you he was a plumber, not a carpenter.) He was laughing about it as he walked to his truck and gave me hints on how I might want to repair the damaged wall--thanks! Had another interesting exchange with him regarding the billing: He presented me with a bill for $186 and I remarked that he "came in under his estimate!" At this, he immediately snatched the bill away from me and scribbled out the $182 subtotal, added the word "material" to the line with $182 charge, then added an additional line for "labor" at $118, told me he forgot it was two faucets and not one (this didn't wash because he had already written 2 faucets on the bill). Then the total came to $306 -- well over his previous estimate. I guess if I was to believe him, the cost for two faucets, two 1-1/2" copper coupling, and two 6-1/2 copper tubing goes for $183 these days and his half hour or so of work is $118. Wow! Finally, the plumber left the work site for us to clean up -- wood cuttings, paint chips and saw dust (from making the hole in the wall). Obviously, he was in a hurry to leave because he didn't take any time to show us his work and demonstrate the faucets were now working.

Partial refund & replacement. How about sticking to verbal cost estimate? Or even coming in under estimate as the bill was initially drawn up? How about repairing the damaged wall or at least providing an acceptably shaped cutout piece that was lost? How about making a professional cut of a minimumally sized hole in the future? How about cleaning up after your work? At least wiping the area with a rag and collecting the pieces.

Before getting this complaint I have repeatedly tried to call MR. ****** and have left messages for the customer to call our office. After ***'s second visit to Mr. ******'s house he noticed he made a mistake on his bill. We corrected the bill to $243.25 and sent Mr. ****** a refund check of $63.00 on 10/10/2013.Our plumbers first visit he explained to the customer he would have to cut into the wall to replace two outside faucets. Also explaining we do not repair the walls. We try our best to cut out the wall as best we can, but no guarantees. The customer scheduled *** to come back and do the faucet replacements after the work to be done was explained to him. An approximate cost for a sheet of drywall is $20.00, to replace the piece that fell behind the wall. I would be happy to send Mr. ****** another $20.00 refund to cover the piece of drywall. *** did use his shop vac for clean up in some areas of the work he performed. We do offer a one year warranty on our plumbing services.If there is any problems with the faucets we furnished and installed we will take care of it at no charge.*** did not forsee any problems of his installation. *** has been employed at A-Atherton Plumbing for thirty years and is a highly respected and quailifed plumber.If he was having a bad day I can only apoligize. Mr. ****** paid by check and signed completed work order.
****** ****
Office Manager

Plumbers, Boilers - New & Used, Water Heaters - Dealers, Plumbing Fixtures, Parts, Supplies - Retail, Water Heaters - Repairing, Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning, Boilers - Repair & Cleaning